Most Overplayed Songs

bloodyminded

3. "You Shook Me All Night Long" ACDC

Yeah, I like the song. I bought the album at 13, and wore it to a scratched husk. This particular tune is a classic in the genre of rock n' roll drinking songs.

But...come on, people! Enough is enough. There are lots of other good songs. Stop playing this one so endlessly. I beg you. Let it go. It's so damn...over, man!

2. "Old time Rock n' Roll" Bob Seger

If any of you grew up in my socioeconomic bracket, you heard this song played at weddings, graduations, and drinking parties. You heard it year after year, and occasionally still do.

Sadly, and if I can slander my own environment, if you grew up in my bracket you're probably dumb enough to think it's an excellent tune. It isn't. Don't be a dumb hick; wake up.

Jesus Christ on a cracker. I'm bloody sick of it. Jeez, the man himself vaunts the virtues of blues, funky old soul, and what have you; he didn't suggest you only listen to his one interminable song! You're stupider than he is. Smarten up.

3. "Footloose" Kenny Loggins

**** you. At least the other two songs I mentioned are half decent. This one is not. This is a terrible song. If you like this song, you're not good. You lack virtue and character. This song ranks among my least favourite of all time, alongside "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies and "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. (At least that one had the dignity to fade away, right?) But "Footloose"...wow. I mean...you're kidding, yes? Why have I heard this awful tune a thousand times? It's not right. I welcome the Islamist Caliphate, so long as beheading is the punishment for playing this abortion.

And now they're remaking the movie (which sucks every bit as much as the title song). I heartily wish for all of you to go to hell. Peace.

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It used to be 'Stairway to Heaven.' Maybe it still is. Since BitTorrent, I don't FM much. I used to be every 5th song was 'Stairway to Heaven.' It got played at the prom (paired with 'Come Sail Away' no less!); it got played - usually badly - by bands at parties or thrown on the turntable in the smoke-filled dark as everyone had their backs against the basement wall. And you couldn't walk into a music shop without some hack replaying the first 8 opening bars over and over and over.

Then there is this: "And sheeee's buuuy-ing-ga a sta-air way-eh to... heah-ehhh-ven."

Piss off Robert Plant.

But that has seemed to fade away. It went from 'Stairway to Heaven' being overplayed to Led Zeppelin songs being overplayed. Some radio stations had Led Zeppelin 'days' and they would play right through the bands entire discography. Even the crappy outtakes and such. Which pissed me off because I really like the Mighty Zeppelin. But privately, like a dream sequence in a movie...

Now it seems Zep has been regulated to only one or two tunes per hour. Whew. Or that is what it was like before BitTorrent came along.

Most Underplayed Songs:

Anything by Television off of 'Marquee Moon.'

Edited by Shwa

Huh? Footloose is overplayed? I haven't heard that song in decades. Awful songs we can all name, but overplayed I guess depends on your particular surroundings.

There are certain songs I hate that I hesitate to even mention in the abject fear that one single mention of them may start their resurrection. Like "Achy Breaky Heart". Like "I've Never Been To Me". Like "Muskrat Love". Almost anything from Neil Diamond. Okay, "Love on The Rocks" and "America" get a bare pass.

It's called corporate radio. Something I noticed when I was a kid and loving music. Radio stations were getting bought up by bigger companies and the head office determines what is played on the radio.

Don't kid yourself when a radio station takes requests, SURE WE WILL PLAY THAT !!! It's on our play list anyways!

For rock stations, it is ACDC, Aerosmith, Ozzy, ... the standards, and the same songs .. over and fucking over again. No variety, total stagnation. It does not matter the format and music they play, they all play the same shit over and over again.

I find the numbering scheme for this list exciting, as in "nothing is deserving of #1 here".

The bawdy rock and roll songs that were supposed to bring a societal decline ended up only being the theme songs for the societal decline.

Brahms will win.

:) An error, not a postmodern criticism. But I like it, so I'll leave it.

There are certain songs I hate that I hesitate to even mention in the abject fear that one single mention of them may start their resurrection. Like "Achy Breaky Heart". Like "I've Never Been To Me". Like "Muskrat Love". Almost anything from Neil Diamond. Okay, "Love on The Rocks" and "America" get a bare pass.

"Achy Breaky Heart." Good call.

I highly recommend Sirius satellite radio - it made me love music on the radio again.

I go seek it out myself. Since I started posting my music on sites like Soundcloud, there are so many people out there doing really good electronic music. I've ditched rock n roll for the most part. A good deal of the stuff I listen to never hits the radio.

It's called corporate radio. Something I noticed when I was a kid and loving music. Radio stations were getting bought up by bigger companies and the head office determines what is played

Complete nonsense. Listeners determine what's ultimately played on a given station. If people don't like it, they won't listen. It's not rocket science. But your premise is in line with a 911 truther mentality. I don't think it's a coincidence that you see conspiracies in every aspect of your life.

It's not a conspiracy that radio only plays what the record corporations give them. That's just how they work.

It's funny that you're so naive about how the world of business works. You must be much younger than I thought.

But if I never heard Satisfaction or Takin' Care of Business again, I would be very, very happy.

Complete nonsense. Listeners determine what's ultimately played on a given station.

Well, try to prove me wrong about what corporate radio is.

If people don't like it, they won't listen.

This is why alternative media is getting popular. Corporate radio does not give them what they want. Part of the reason they turn to pay-to-listen- services like Sirius.

Why can I turn on the radio, (classic and modern rock stations) and predict the rest of the day based on 30 minutes of listening. Why do you only hear the same fucking songs over and over again. It's not what people want.

It's not rocket science. But your premise is in line with a 911 truther mentality. I don't think it's a coincidence that you see conspiracies in every aspect of your life.

IN the most polite way I can think of Shady .. Fuck you. Everytime I post you equate it to 9/11 truther. You are about as predictable as corporate radio. You are one of the reasons corporate radio even exists, they tell YOU what to like and listen to.

Nickleback is not that popular, no matter how much you worship them.

You're both right.

When you apply for a radio license to the CRTC you state what the format will be. Then they decide if you are worthy....

If you apply for a top 40...you play top 40. If you apply for a classic rock, you play ACDC etc...

And when they have listener call ins....they play what the listeners ask for (within their formats).

Some chains all have similar formats, some don't.

Corus for instance has stations all over the board, top 40, country, talk...

You're both right.

When you apply for a radio license to the CRTC you state what the format will be. Then they decide if you are worthy....

If you apply for a top 40...you play top 40. If you apply for a classic rock, you play ACDC etc...

And when they have listener call ins....they play what the listeners ask for (within their formats).

Some chains all have similar formats, some don't.

Corus for instance has stations all over the board, top 40, country, talk...

That is what I was trying to get at. Good summary.

It's not a conspiracy that radio only plays what the record corporations give them. That's just how they work.

Wow, that's genius, seeing as 99.9% of music artists sign contracts with record companies. :rolleyes:

You cracked the case wide open Holmes! :lol:

Radio stations also play the Beatles "Happy Birthday" or Todays your birthday, whenever they list who has one in the community. I got assorted collection from 45's,33's, 8-track tape, cassettes, CD's. I haven't got the latest tech but I got enough to do me. I've got 50's- up. Rock, country, swing, anything heard on the radio. I remember when those 45's cost less than a $$. Anyone else have a collection?

I highly recommend Sirius satellite radio - it made me love music on the radio again.

Yup, Yup!

I will add that ANYTHING by Bob Segar is absolutely horrible.

And that bloody "Mony Mony" song, and it doesn't matter whose version it is, though Billy Idols sucks the most. Dog awful!!!

Yup, Yup!

I will add that ANYTHING by Bob Segar is absolutely horrible.

And that bloody "Mony Mony" song, and it doesn't matter whose version it is, though Billy Idols sucks the most. Dog awful!!!

It's usually the play of one song of an artist that gets people tired of the rest of their songs. There are some great songs from Bob Seger, but they don't get airplay.

You're the one that should be embarrased. :rolleyes:

No Shady, it is you who should be.

It is controlled by corporate and listener call -ins cannot request anything they want since the station will not play it.

There are untold stations without any DJ....so who is picking that play list?

Read it an apologize....er...yeah..its you so just read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/20/opinion/editorial-observer-trouble-with-corporate-radio-day-protest-music-died.html