Tories supporters...Harper needs your $$$$

Harper is calling on his supporters to help finance the "hailstorm" of negative ads the media, pundits and the "opinion elite", lobby groups and union exes. WOW! all those people against the Harper party? I'm sure Harper will have no problem getting the money from his supporters, but WILL the money be used for that or something else? So all you Tories get your wallets out and dish out the money. BTW, since he had already increase your portion of his pension plan, last week, what's another few bucks right. http://ipolitics.ca/2011/06/09/party-calls-on-supporters-to-help-fight-media-pundits/

Perhaps you could show where it says Harper is calling on supporters.

You push the little arrow around with that rolly thingy called a mouse, and when the arrrow lands on the blue print,you push the button under your index finger... and magic! There's the article, and the source!

Nice sarcasm Molly! However, nowhere in that link/article does it say that Harper or his party is calling on supporters to help with finances. Maybe you could find the actual proof since Topaz seems to be content to ignore the question?

Nice sarcasm Molly! However, nowhere in that link/article does it say that Harper or his party is calling on supporters to help with finances. Maybe you could find the actual proof since Topaz seems to be content to ignore the question?

Umm did either of you follow the link? Very first sentence and I quote.

With a stable majority government for the next four years and the Liberal Party still reeling from the election results, Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative Party is calling on supporters to dip into their wallets to help the party counter a new foe.

With a stable majority government for the next four years and the Liberal Party still reeling from the election results, Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative Party is calling on supporters to dip into their wallets to help the party counter a new foe.

In a letter sent out in the past few days, Conservative Party President John Walsh is urging supporters to help the party counter a “hailstorm” of negative attacks from the media, pundits and the “opinion elite.”

Walsh says the party had to fight off attacks during the last election and expects them to continue.

“During this election campaign, we faced an onslaught of negative attacks like never before from the media, from pundits and from anti-Conservative lobby groups and union executives,” Walsh wrote in a copy of the letter obtained by iPolitics.

The problem, said Walsh, is that a Conservative government jeopardizes their interests.

“The fear among the opinion establishment is that if our government is successful, and Canadians see the benefits of lower taxes, sensible and less-interventionist government and more personal freedom, the Conservative Party of Canada will continue to win future elections,” he wrote.

“Quite simply, smaller government means less power for the left-leaning, opinion establishment and they will fight every step of the way. We saw their tactics last time and they will be even nastier and more desperate next time.”

:) The "left-leaning opinion establishment," is, by definition, countered by the "right-leaning opinion establishment," and probably by a relatively non-partisan "opinion establishment."

This is just the old "liberal elites" scarecrow, summoned yet again.

What is really being promoted here is a propaganda war. Nothing wrong with that; or certainly nothing new.

But let's recognize it for what it is.

Umm did either of you follow the link? Very first sentence and I quote.

All that quote says is the author thinks that Harper/Tories is asking people to dip into their wallets. No where do they show that the Tories are doing this. For instance there is not a quote in the letter from the party that shows where the Tories are asking for financial support.

Either lazy journalism by the author, or outright smearing. Oh Topaz, any reaction?

Edited by sharkman

All that quote says is the author thinks that Harper/Tories is asking people to dip into their wallets. No where do they show that the Tories are doing this. For instance there is not a quote in the letter from the party that shows where the Tories are asking for financial support.

Either lazy journalism by the author, or outright smearing. Oh Topaz, any reaction?

I'm certain the letter asks for warm thoughts and prayers only. That's also not quoted in the article What other kind of support would their supporters offer?

No where do they show that the Tories are doing this. For instance there is not a quote in the letter from the party that shows where the Tories are asking for financial support.

Lazy reading methinks......

Prime Minister Stephen Harpers Conservative Party is calling on supporters to dip into their wallets to help the party counter a new foe.

"Is calling" means actively doing.

and....

In a letter sent out in the past f.,ew days, Conservative Party President John Walsh is urging supporters to help the party counter a hailstorm of negative attacks from the media, pundits and the opinion elite.

Sent a letter, means activley doing it.

Oh Topaz, any reaction?

Probably to say go read the link.

Edited by guyser

Lazy reading methinks......

Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative Party is calling on supporters to dip into their wallets to help the party counter a new foe.

"Is calling" means actively doing.

and....

In a letter sent out in the past f.,ew days, Conservative Party President John Walsh is urging supporters to help the party counter a “hailstorm” of negative attacks from the media, pundits and the “opinion elite.”

Sent a letter, means activley doing it.

Thank you, could you please show me in the letter where the Tory party asks for supporters to dip into their wallets? Or donate money? Again, the first line of the link is telling us what the writer says is happening, but Elizabeth never give the evidence. And John Walsh urging supporters to help the party counter a hailstorm does not end with him asking for cash.

I'm certain the letter asks for warm thoughts and prayers only. That's also not quoted in the article What other kind of support would their supporters offer?

Well if you reread the link, they ask for people to become party members, for one.

Thank you, could you please show me in the letter where the Tory party asks for supporters to dip into their wallets? Or donate money?

Please tell me you are kidding.

. And John Walsh urging supporters to help the party counter a hailstorm does not end with him asking for cash.

I guess they could be asking for papers and pencils, maybe some coloured ones too. Send some White-Out along . They will need that to counter the “hailstorm” of negative attacks from the media, pundits and the “opinion elite.”

Please tell me you are kidding.

I guess they could be asking for papers and pencils, maybe some coloured ones too. Send some White-Out along . They will need that to counter the hailstorm of negative attacks from the media, pundits and the opinion elite.

It's a pretty desperate argument, I agree.

And yeah, I love that "opinion elite" bit. :)

Does that apply to Mark Steyn, Ezra Levant, Barbara Amiel, Conrad Black, et al?

Or only to the sinister lefties?

Edited by bloodyminded

It's pretty straight forward, really. No mention is made for money. When an organization sends me a letter in the mail asking me for moeny, they ask me for money. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a political party asking for cash, and if the 'journalist' was simply lazy and didn't include the quote where cash was asked for, then I'd be fine with that.

But thus far from this story, I can't find any mention of cash except in the writer's assumptions. That, my friends, is bias.

Purely because I wanted to get rid of Rob Anders as my MP, I joined the CPC before two years ago. A very talented lady was going to run against him for the nomination and I wanted to be able to vote for her. (As an aside, the mafia running that riding office managed to delay my and a whole bunch of other people's memberships being registered till two days after the vote.) But since then, at least once a month I get a call from the CPC asking for money. I haven't paid up yet.

I keep telling them where I disagree with their platform and that if Harper or my MP would like to call me to discuss these things I would appreciate it, but no action yet. I still vote CPC but its's like saying gonorrhea is better than syphilis. True, but dang a guy wishes there was a better choice.

It's pretty straight forward, really. No mention is made for money. When an organization sends me a letter in the mail asking me for moeny, they ask me for money. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a political party asking for cash, and if the 'journalist' was simply lazy and didn't include the quote where cash was asked for, then I'd be fine with that.

But thus far from this story, I can't find any mention of cash except in the writer's assumptions. That, my friends, is bias.

Well, we won't discuss what you may or may not be able to find with both hands and a flashlight, but perhaps when you recieve your own personal copy of that fund-raising letter you can tell us whether it actually spells out c-a-s-h, or is just pretends to be asking for the crumpled sales reciepts and fake phone numbers that one might find in your wallet.

<_<

Perhaps you could show where it says Harper is calling on supporters.

OK, whose the leader of the Conservative? Who controls everythying that goes on within the party? Nothing gets past the PMO without Harper's approval? Are you saying Harper has nothing to do with this and maybe he doesn't even know this is being done?

Well, we won't discuss what you may or may not be able to find with both hands and a flashlight, but perhaps when you recieve your own personal copy of that fund-raising letter you can tell us whether it actually spells out c-a-s-h, or is just pretends to be asking for the crumpled sales reciepts and fake phone numbers that one might find in your wallet.

<_<

Your silly attempts at one-up-man-ship aside, I think you're trying too hard to be right. And no, I do not belong or am on the mailing list of the CPC. That one must have had you giggling like a school girl when you thought of it.

Obviously most of you are either too young or too inept with your money to be on charitable organization mail lists. The letters asking for cash come often enough. They include self addressed envelopes with boxes you can check indicating how much you will give, like $25, $50 or $100. Again, no big deal, but when an organization sends a letter asking for money, they actually ask for money.

And Topaz, get back to me when you get an actual link with which to complain about donation requests. And I shall then say, "So what?". All parties ask for cash.

Barack Obama refused matching taxpayer funds in his 2008 presidential campaign because he was able to raise enough from private donors.

Stephen Harper is also able to raise funds from private donors and has no need for vote-based funds.

----

There is however a big difference between Barack Obama and Stephen Harper. Harper can accept at most a contribution of $1100 from any single donor. In Canada, corporations and unions cannot contribute to federal parties.

Obama received millions from Oprah Winfrey, or from her corporation. In Canada, such contributions would be illegal. Nevertheless, it is more correct to say that Obama paid for his campaign largely with the $50 or $100 paid online by ordinary citizens.

If we are to have a functioning democracy, I think that it is good if ordinary pay $20 from their pocket to have the right to vote. Stephen Harper and Barack Obama are capable of connecting to ordinary people and getting them to go online and give $20 or $50 dollars.

Edited by August1991

Who controls everythying that goes on within the party? Nothing gets past the PMO without Harper's approval? Are you saying Harper has nothing to do with this and maybe he doesn't even know this is being done?

Harper is far to busy eating kittens to concern himself with a Party fundraising letter. I would doubt that John Walsh even wrote it, but since his name on it you can direct your ire towards him. It was likely written by someone from their marketing communications dept or agency, possibly with help from a sandwich-loving focus group of party faithful.

Harper is far to busy eating kittens to concern himself with a Party fundraising letter. I would doubt that John Walsh even wrote it, but since his name on it you can direct your ire towards him. It was likely written by someone from their marketing communications dept or agency, possibly with help from a sandwich-loving focus group of party faithful.
And while this happened, Barack Obama was eating a puppy.

---

The simple fact is that some politicians can raise funds online, and some can't.

Edited by August1991

What is really being promoted here is a propaganda war. Nothing wrong with that; or certainly nothing new.

There is absolutely something wrong with that. I am completely opposed to any party running a campaign before elections are called. It disgusts me when I'm watching television and an ad comes on that has no other purpose but to slam an opposition party when there isn't even an election in sight. It's a tasteless attempt (and ask Ignatieff, an effective one) at thought-control. We shouldn't stand for propaganda campaigns against opposition parties by the government, regardless of who is in power.