Discuss results as they come in

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definately an interesting election. Just watched Laytons speech and it was a good one. I must commend him. Lets just hope he doesn't get sucked into the Liberal cesspool. Was glad to see all parties take seats away from the Liberals. I am sure it will lead to some interesting politics in the next few months.

And takeanumber: Harper, Day and White kicked butt in their own ridings so I figure you are stuck with them for a few more years.

It's good to see the Conservatives actually get less of the popular vote than they did before. The silent majority has spoken, Stevie...they told you to take a hike.

Kudos to Susan Thompson who managed to grab 11% of the vote (at this point, they're still counting) in Peace River. Not an easy place to run for the NDP, but she did it and made us all proud.

How about that increase in the popular vote? It would have likely been higher if it wasn't for the frightening spectre of Stephen Harper too...a lot of strategic voting happened tonight.

We can move forward now, instead of back.

It looks like the Liberals are not going to join a coalition with the NDP, (Goodale's comments to CBC). Is it possible? Are the Liberals arrogant enough to not join a coalition and then have to go to the polls again to try and get the majority. If they would rather work with Cons the the NDP then they are going to have serious trouble scaring people off the Cons in the next election. They will legitimize Harper's Cons and then the Liberals won't be able to win the next election using the same negative tatics they used this time. Or would the Liberals rather legitimize the seperatist Bloc?

Unless someone can prove me wrong, I think such a strategy is the pinnicle of arrogance and not all that bright from the Liberal's vantage. They should enter into a coalition at least until they are ready to back to the polls.

Of course it could just be a negotiating position.

From what I can see, alot of people in Ontario were influenced by the Liberal attack ads and decided that Harper was a scary guy.

True, Harper let them do it. But the real lesson is that attack ads work in Canada.

BTW, the NDP was as much a victim. Many potential NDP voters switched to Liberal.

The only regions that voted honestly (without fear) were Quebec and the Prairies.

I don't think they would necessarily make it a formal coalition. They will have to keep either the NDP or the Bloc happy to stay in power.

The Liberals need time to show that they are going to do what Canadians want. I guess I should go listen to what they have to say. Anyhow, it has to be better than before or Martin will join that list of short term Prime Minister.

Well, Martin shouldn't get too comfortable. I don't think anyone is that thrilled with him, but he was viewed as the least worst choice.

He will have to offer a substantial olive branch to the west, and soon.

I hope Harper stays on as leader. If the CPC dumps him, then there will be no pressure on Martin to do anything.

An interesting comment I heard was that the real split isn't east-west as much as it is urban rural. The Liberals did very well in cities.

And the Consevatives had to keeping shutting candidates mouths from revealing their plans.
That's what the Liberal spin was all about. And it worked because the perception in Ontario was that the Tories are dangerous loose cannons.
Well, Martin shouldn't get too comfortable. I don't think anyone is that thrilled with him, but he was viewed as the least worst choice.
Martin has a new lease on life. Did you see his speech?
He will have to offer a substantial olive branch to the west, and soon.
WTF?

In all reality, Martins plan failed. He thought he could catch the Conservatives with their pants down. Call an election and get a vast majority again before the Conservatives could get organized. We are looking at a party that is really only 6 months old. Layton did well and kudos to him. Harper, though not as well as he thought things would go, did pretty well. Harper will probably stay on as leader, he trounced anyone else in his riding. Martin will stay on unless he gets the boot before the next election. Unless there is a major set back, Layton will die of old age at the helm of the NDP. He brought the NDP back.

When me and my friends were listening to the Prime Ministers speech and he went on about Quebec and how he was going to be there for them etc we were all booing and throwing stuff at the TV... but we waited, waited for the kissing up to the West.. it never came. When he said his thanks and left the podium we all jus looked at each other and were like 'omg he didn't just do that, he just publically ignored the West on his election speech'

See you support a monster, you re-elect a monstrous government for 5 terms, you blindly follow someone who has proven time and time again to be a corrupt piece of trash and then you turn around and fail to vote in new blood. A new party with new policies that has a chance to make things better, you chose the old monster that everyone with half an independant mind can see is destroying this counrty over a party that isn't even a year old.

Learn from your mistakes, from history, or you will be doomed to repeat those mistakes.

PS takeanumber, at least Harper had the decency to address every region and encourage everyone who didn't get their candidates (including the opposition). All I heard from the Liberals was a bunch of French suckups.

Harper isn't the monster you allow yourself to be propogated into thinking he is. He represents the voice of the West, and the fact that you completely disrespect him and his party shows your disrespect for us and our ways of life. If you keep it up you may find that Ontario and east are all that you will be calling Canada... not that you would really care or notice

I'd be a liar if I didn't say i was disapointed with the end results, but we did pick-up seats, the Liberals lost seats, and hopefully we can start planning a stratagy for the next election that will allow us to see a more positive end result.....

Harper isn't the monster you allow yourself to be propogated into thinking he is. He represents the voice of the West, and the fact that you completely disrespect him and his party shows your disrespect for us and our ways of life. If you keep it up you may find that Ontario and east are all that you will be calling Canada... not that you would really care or notice

I'd be a even bigger liar if the idea of "Reforming" ( ;) ) a western party didn't cross my mind........I have to admit, If the Bloc/PQ gets it's wish, maybe the West should start looking for one of it's own.

If the Bloc/PQ gets it's wish, maybe the West should start looking for one of it's own.
Be careful. Whether the BQ should even exist is a big issue in Quebec.

Apparently, the Liberals are now the Ontario party.

Harper was right at the very beginning of this campaign. It is possible to be Canadian without being Liberal. He should have pursued and explained that idea.