Students Asked to Leave CPC rally in London

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/04/05/cv-election-harper-ignatieff-rally-923.html

This is an interesting story. Not surprising, this is rather consistent with Mr. Harper's modus operandi. There's apparently no room for disparaging opinions. What is interesting about the article is these were students who were trying to get more informed about the election, but because there was a facebook picture of one of them with Ignatieff from the LPC rally in London, they were asked to leave.

I quite liked this quote from Jack Layton

"The idea that just because you have a different opinion, you can't walk into room with the prime minister that's wrong and every Canadians should be worried about that," Layton said.

"Especially when the people that he is letting into the room, like Mr. Carson, have the kind of record they have."

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The optics are bad, for sure. It's one of those things that I'm sure they wish they could do differently, yet will probably also begrudgingly do exactly the same way if it comes up again.

The problem is, they do need to manage potential disruptions, and students are the ones most likely to do something disruptive for disruption's sake. Left-leaning ones, especially so. It's just a free rally, it's not like she had something terrible done to her. By the time they figure out why she's got a picture of herself with the opposition leader, it would have been over anyway.

One suggestion I would make to the party is to do this kind of screening at the online registration stage. You do have to sign up in advance to go, so just hold back on the confirmation of their spot until you check their red flags. I'm guessing the party's answer would be that they running an election, not a babysitting service.

One of Stevie Harper's guards punched a pregnant London Free Press reporter in the stomach aswell. Its a shame that pregnant women don't get the respect with unborn children still in the womb.

Harper left London, Ontario with his "Beat Down Crew", leaving a bad impression after his guards pulling of attempted murder of an unborn child in the womb, and not letting some students watch his rally.

He is the next comming of Hitler

Edited by Chippewa

One of Stevie Harper's guards punched a pregnant London Free Press reporter in the stomach aswell. Its a shame that pregnant women don't get the respect with unborn children still in the womb.

Harper left London, Ontario with his "Beat Down Crew", leaving a bad impression after his guards pulling of attempted murder of an unborn child in the womb, and not letting some students watch his rally.

He is the next comming of Hitler

Uh...

You better come up with a cite for that one....

Not the Hitler stuff,'cause that's just goofy...

This is not the sort of attitude that is really going to inspire young people to vote for the Tories.

Most don't vote anyway. And before they grow smart enough they'll probably vote Greens :)

Uh...

You better come up with a cite for that one....

Not the Hitler stuff,'cause that's just goofy...

Sorry it was the wrong 3rd Reich member. It was Mike Igatieff...

Until either Party eliminates the most racist legislation in the world called the Indian Act... They might as well be Maumar Gaddafi, because all that government does is give immigrants citizinship to this country and allow them to vote and deplete First Nations Rights.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/04/04/17875211.html

Sorry it was the wrong 3rd Reich member. It was Mike Igatieff...

Until either Party eliminates the most racist legislation in the world called the Indian Act... They might as well be Maumar Gaddafi, because all that government does is give immigrants citizinship to this country and allow them to vote and deplete First Nations Rights.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/04/04/17875211.html

How would eliminating the Indian Act fix this "depletion"?

I just want to point out I volunteer for the NDP and am a well known NDPer in my area, the Liberals have asked myself on more then one occasion to leave a gathering of Liberals. I am not saying it is right in fact I thought it wrong at the time and still do.

I would imagine most of the parties, or at least the major parties do it. Facebook puts a twist on the practice, but the practice has been going on a long time.

I would imagine most of the parties, or at least the major parties do it. Facebook puts a twist on the practice, but the practice has been going on a long time.

I think the thing is, this is new to some people who are not engaged in politics however it has gone along time and the Liberals have always been the ones who have done it to myself.

This kind of management of appearances has been going on for years. Obviously Facebook gives the handlers a quicker read on who might be in the crowd, but at the end of the day, it's just old hat.

Not saying I approve of it, but that's the reality.

I agree with you about this.

In my opinion this story is growing legs because it ties together with the Carson case

Sounds hypocritical of the conservatives and is another black eye or punch

Harper has bein taking a lot of shots in this campaign and its starting to reflect in the polls.

If evry week is the same for the conservatives then a Liberal minority is possible or a final count of only 10 seats between the two.

WWWTT