Students Asked to Leave CPC rally in London

After some of the censorship antics at Queens, Western, U of T and other campuses with speakers like Christie Blatchford or some folks from Israel, I say SCREW THE STUDENTS AND THE HORSES THEY RODE IN ON!

University students and the student unions and campus management that has supported them have abrogated the right to be respected at such gatherings.

If they have either forgotten or never learned the value of free speech then they have no right to expect consideration in return.

They have lost considerable respect and will have to put forth some sincere effort in ever getting it back!

Reap the whirlwind, you ignorant, fascist louts!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you about this.

In my opinion this story is growing legs because it ties together with the Carson case

Sounds hypocritical of the conservatives and is another black eye or punch

Harper has bein taking a lot of shots in this campaign and its starting to reflect in the polls.

If evry week is the same for the conservatives then a Liberal minority is possible or a final count of only 10 seats between the two.

WWWTT

I don't see the connection. The Prime Minister's campaign team is quite a different creature from the PMO's office.

I think the thing is, this is new to some people who are not engaged in politics however it has gone along time and the Liberals have always been the ones who have done it to myself.

I try to explain that to young people publishing on the net (facebook) etc..That you are creating an accessable record...that can depending on the political climate - a self induced crimminal record. Just like here on mapleleafweb - IF and heaven forbid there is a social and judical collapse....and a coup of sort...and say that the new government are raging maniacs who are anti-American might just look at the OLEG BACH rants with his American friend Bush Cheney.. "Looks like Mister Bach is an American sympathizer - have him picked up for questioning and execute him if he fails the test of this inquisition" - That could happen...hopefully not...to use facebook as a tool to persecute is an abuse of this new media called the net - they should be ashamed.

I try to explain that to young people publishing on the net (facebook) etc..That you are creating an accessable record...that can depending on the political climate - a self induced crimminal record. Just like here on mapleleafweb - IF and heaven forbid there is a social and judical collapse....and a coup of sort...and say that the new government are raging maniacs who are anti-American might just look at the OLEG BACH rants with his American friend Bush Cheney.. "Looks like Mister Bach is an American sympathizer - have him picked up for questioning and execute him if he fails the test of this inquisition" - That could happen...hopefully not...to use facebook as a tool to persecute is an abuse of this new media called the net - they should be ashamed.

Except the Liberals have done the same thing in the past to those they know support other parties Oleg. That is my point, I think it is wrong and it was wrong when the Liberals did it to.

Edited by punked

Is anyone suprised that Mike Ignatieff sent these two goons over to interfere with a Conservative rally? I'm not.

However, it's funny to listen to a carpetbagging politician coming back from another country, start labelling certain Canadians as un-Canadian. God I'll be glad when this clown finally leaves the country again.

Is anyone suprised that Mike Ignatieff sent these two goons over to interfere with a Conservative rally? I'm not.

However, it's funny to listen to a carpetbagging politician coming back from another country, start labelling certain Canadians as un-Canadian. God I'll be glad when this clown finally leaves the country again.

And then, just as I was beginning to feel some sympathy for Harper's campaign team, Shady came along to remind me what gawdawful jerks Tory supporters can be.

Edited by ToadBrother

Everyone knows that campaign staff are on the lookout for people who want to disrupt the campaign stops, and that's particularly so for Harper because he is the number one target, but a long shot. Disrupt one of his speeches, screaming and making a spectacle of yourself, and you get on the national news. So finding out people attending a Harper meeting are pictured with another leader clearly leads to suspicion they're looking to make trouble. Still, the Tories have apologized and said they'll tell their staffers to be more careful and more polite in future.

And then, just as I was beginning to feel some sympathy for Harper's campaign team, Shady came along to remind me what gawdawful jerks Tory supporters can be.

Not so sure about "Tory Supporters" per se, but the ones that blow smoke up Harpers butt and are American wannabe's sure are.

After some of the censorship antics at Queens, Western, U of T and other campuses with speakers like Christie Blatchford or some folks from Israel, I say SCREW THE STUDENTS AND THE HORSES THEY RODE IN ON!

University students and the student unions and campus management that has supported them have abrogated the right to be respected at such gatherings.

If they have either forgotten or never learned the value of free speech then they have no right to expect consideration in return.

They have lost considerable respect and will have to put forth some sincere effort in ever getting it back!

Reap the whirlwind, you ignorant, fascist louts!

WTF? Because of the actions of some student groups, all students' rights should be disregarded?

(Some of the comments here are swaying me a little to the idea that this is at least a little closer to routine... Would want to see more documented evidence though. Plus, part of the issue is that these students were not even official Liberal workers or even volunteers. They just had Ignatieff in their Facebook profile pictures.)

WTF? Because of the actions of some student groups, all students' rights should be disregarded?

(Some of the comments here are swaying me a little to the idea that this is at least a little closer to routine... Would want to see more documented evidence though. Plus, part of the issue is that these students were not even official Liberal workers or even volunteers. They just had Ignatieff in their Facebook profile pictures.)

Anybody who has paid any attention to how campaign stops works knows that you have a cadre of campaign workers whose job it is to toss out potential hecklers or anyone who looks like they might cause trouble. This goes on every single time. Whether it's right or not is something of an open question, but it isn't just the Tories. You can be damned sure that this is going on with all the leaders.

Anybody who has paid any attention to how campaign stops works knows that you have a cadre of campaign workers whose job it is to toss out potential hecklers or anyone who looks like they might cause trouble. This goes on every single time. Whether it's right or not is something of an open question, but it isn't just the Tories. You can be damned sure that this is going on with all the leaders.

I can believe that you're right... But what do you think of the campaign workers' decision-making in this instance, which afaict was based on a Facebook profile photo?

I can believe that you're right... But what do you think of the campaign workers' decision-making in this instance, which afaict was based on a Facebook profile photo?

As opposed to what? That sounds like a better guide of whether someone from the opposing camp is crashing your party than "That guy looks like a Liberal!"

The whole practice lends itself to abuses. Picking on whether they should be using Facebook or not seems almost besides the point.

Edited by ToadBrother

You kinda entering Shades of gray here. It is ok to kick me out because they have seen me door knock for the NDP it isn't ok to kick someone else out because they only saw them supporting the other party on facebook?

It should be all or none.

Fair points, you two. I need to think this over, clearly.

The fact is that all these campaign stops and rallies are nothing more than staged events. It's grassroots political theater, like cowboy hats and flapjacks, kissing babies and skidoo entrances. They're all stage managed, which is why I wouldn't be caught dead at one. The whole thing is a photo-op and a scam.

The fact is that all these campaign stops and rallies are nothing more than staged events. It's grassroots political theater, like cowboy hats and flapjacks, kissing babies and skidoo entrances. They're all stage managed, which is why I wouldn't be caught dead at one. The whole thing is a photo-op and a scam.

Unless of course you stop at a place you have no support, go to a rally in a room big enough for only national reporters and no supporters, emerge to local reporters wanting to ask questions, deny them any questions until they start reporting that on the radio that you wont answer any questions, then you have to have a quick scrum outside a bus and promise an area for every city even though it isn't in your platform. Then it is a train wreck and pretty fun to read about.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ill-be-back-ignatieff-says-after-drive-by-campaign-stop-in-quebec/article1972173/

Edited by punked

I was kept from meeting Jack Layton a few years ago. He was doing his meet and greet and I was walking along with my wife when a staffer approached and enthusiastically asked if I would like to meet the Great Leader. "Sure" I said, "I've always wanted to meet the two faced hypocritical _unt"

They ( security) asked me if I didn't mind crossing the street and keeping my distance.

Edited by M.Dancer

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/04/05/cv-election-harper-ignatieff-rally-923.html

This is an interesting story. Not surprising, this is rather consistent with Mr. Harper's modus operandi. There's apparently no room for disparaging opinions. What is interesting about the article is these were students who were trying to get more informed about the election, but because there was a facebook picture of one of them with Ignatieff from the LPC rally in London, they were asked to leave.

I quite liked this quote from Jack Layton

Well I'm geussing that the London CPC candidate definately got two less votes this election.

Go Campaign Harper --- please people thinking about going to Harper rallies protect yourself and get in photos with Iggy.. it will save you the misery of a life maring experience in a seeping pool of lies and idiocy.

IGGY IGGY OVER HERE MAN!!! I NEED YOU!! PROTECT ME FROM THE POTENTIAL OF A DRUNKEN DAY I WILL REGRET FOR EVER!

Edited by William Ashley

Unless of course you stop at a place you have no support, go to a rally in a room big enough for only national reporters and no supporters, emerge to local reporters wanting to ask questions, deny them any questions until they start reporting that on the radio that you wont answer any questions, then you have to have a quick scrum outside a bus and promise an area for every city even though it isn't in your platform. Then it is a train wreck and pretty fun to read about.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ill-be-back-ignatieff-says-after-drive-by-campaign-stop-in-quebec/article1972173/

I didn't say it was good political theatre. I just said it was political theatre.

are American wannabe's sure are.

That seems to be a common refrain of the pro-Liberal sort in Canada these days. It kind of reminds me of the racists back in the day calling people n*gger lovers. It's just another reason the Liberal party has fallen off the face of the earth in this country. But their pseudo-superiority is entertaining! :lol:

That seems to be a common refrain of the pro-Liberal sort in Canada these days. It kind of reminds me of the racists back in the day calling people n*gger lovers. It's just another reason the Liberal party has fallen off the face of the earth in this country. But their pseudo-superiority is entertaining! :lol:

Linking the Tories to American interests predates the current batch of Liberals. I remember the field day the Liberals had when the footage of Mulroney and Reagan singing When Irish Eyes Are Smiling started making the rounds. I don't think you'll get much argument that some of Mulroney's unpopularity in the last years was due to what many viewed as too cozy a relationship with the Americans.

They ( security) asked me if I didn't mind crossing the street and keeping my distance.

That's an entirely different situation though. The girls in question weren't in any way aggressive or belligerent. They were just minding their own business.

That's an entirely different situation though. The girls in question weren't in any way aggressive or belligerent. They were just minding their own business.

It doesn't take much to get booted from a rally. I'm not sure why this is an issue. Rallies are staged events, only party cheerleaders are ever welcome. I can't figure out why anybody but party drones even want to go to them.