Stephen Harper offers new fitness tax credit after budget gets in shap

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's saying we can't afford to spend a whole bunch of money now......but give me a majority and let me continue to help the economy and balance the budget, and families will be rewarded. This is in contrast to the Liberals who will raise corporate taxes and spend all that money - dampening the economic recovery and not addressing the deficit. Funny thing is, Dalton McGuinty is praising corporate tax cuts in his latest budget in making Ontario one of the best places to do business. He's not liking Mr. Ignatieff's plan to raise taxes again - so you won't see McGuinty out on the stump for him. So....it's OK to cut taxes - as long as it's done by a Liberal. It's time for a Conservative majority....it'll give the Liberals time to get their act together.

He's saying we can't afford to spend a whole bunch of money now......but give me a majority and let me continue to help the economy and balance the budget, and families will be rewarded. This is in contrast to the Liberals who will raise corporate taxes and spend all that money - dampening the economic recovery and not addressing the deficit. Funny thing is, Dalton McGuinty is praising corporate tax cuts in his latest budget in making Ontario one of the best places to do business. He's not liking Mr. Ignatieff's plan to raise taxes again - so you won't see McGuinty out on the stump for him. So....it's OK to cut taxes - as long as it's done by a Liberal. It's time for a Conservative majority....it'll give the Liberals time to get their act together.

Is there an unwritten rule that says giving tax breaks to families,middle income earners wont stimulate the economy and create jobs....we have done the trickle down thing how about trying trickle up.I know if more money finds its way in my pocket the corporation will end up getting it.

Is there an unwritten rule that says giving tax breaks to families,middle income earners wont stimulate the economy and create jobs....we have done the trickle down thing how about trying trickle up.I know if more money finds its way in my pocket the corporation will end up getting it.

The best trickle up is for more people to have a job. Canada has a huge opportunity and only a small window to take advantage of it. As other countries come out of the recession, there will be (and already is) a pent-up demand for commodities. The purpose of lowering Corporate taxes (like Dalton McGuinty's Liberals have done in Ontario) is to attract foreign investment capital to Canada - to expand business - to create jobs. If we don't have one of the most attractive places to do business - that foreign capital will find other places to go. More jobs spurs the economy, a better economy creates more tax revenue - and that will allow us to help those families that you speak of even more. Now is not the time to raise taxes on business and lose our place as the best place to invest.

The "economist" conservative boss is becoming funny when he is scared by the coalition stuff.

Does it mean that the CEOs can get tax deductions for attending all sorts of fitness clubs to deduct the fat from their supernutritioned bodies meanwhile their workers, who are supposed having less time, less money and less motive (because they have already done overmany bolt-screwing "bodybuilding" in their GM mass production lines :P ) to enroll such things, will get nothing from the conservative boss's tax-money-spending generosity? :lol:

I think they are saying they will save $6 billion by canceling the corporate tax cut(Under the minority Conservative watch, the federal corporate tax rate has dropped from 22% to its present 16.5% level, and is set for one last cut next year, to 15%.) which is different from raising corporate taxes.And use this to fund there campaign promises.

The best trickle up is for more people to have a job. Canada has a huge opportunity and only a small window to take advantage of it. As other countries come out of the recession, there will be (and already is) a pent-up demand for commodities. The purpose of lowering Corporate taxes (like Dalton McGuinty's Liberals have done in Ontario) is to attract foreign investment capital to Canada - to expand business - to create jobs. If we don't have one of the most attractive places to do business - that foreign capital will find other places to go. More jobs spurs the economy, a better economy creates more tax revenue - and that will allow us to help those families that you speak of even more. Now is not the time to raise taxes on business and lose our place as the best place to invest.

Which can also be achieved by the middle income earners spending their hard earned dollars and buying the corporations products which cause hiring to keep up with demand.Why does the tax break have to goto buisness first to decide how its spent.

Is this guy real....is all his campaign promises going to take effect after budget is balanced? How about The Harper Government if wins a majority wont take power till budget is balanced.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/stephen-harper-offers-new-fitness-tax-credit/article1968824/

But, but, but you forgot all those tax credits in the 2011 Budget that those nasty NDP/Liberal/BQ wouldn't support!

Look at all those tax credits!

And if that isn't enough then look at the 2009 budget - more tax credits!

It's tax credit nirvana!

:rolleyes:

I think they are saying they will save $6 billion by canceling the corporate tax cut(Under the minority Conservative watch, the federal corporate tax rate has dropped from 22% to its present 16.5% level, and is set for one last cut next year, to 15%.) which is different from raising corporate taxes.And use this to fund there campaign promises.

That reduction to 15% has been supported by the liberals when it was passed. That tax cut has been costed and accounted for in future revenues/expenses by both govt and business.

That's a tax hike.

Which can also be achieved by the middle income earners spending their hard earned dollars and buying the corporations products which cause hiring to keep up with demand.Why does the tax break have to goto buisness first to decide how its spent.

Because the shareholders and bondholders have to be paid. Those businesses have obligations. A tax hike eats into the bottom line, and prices will have to go up to make up for the revenue shortfall. Or workers have to be let go, or the companies could potentially relocate taking their jobs with them. This isn't the 50s anymore when it was only a few wealthy countries.

I think they are saying they will save $6 billion by canceling the corporate tax cut(Under the minority Conservative watch, the federal corporate tax rate has dropped from 22% to its present 16.5% level, and is set for one last cut next year, to 15%.) which is different from raising corporate taxes.

No it isn't. When you say you're going to take the corporate tax rate from 16.5% to 18%, then you're talking about raising taxes.

There's something distasteful about giving so many tax credits during one of the worst financial times in recent memory. With people losing their jobs and out of work, who is really benefitting from these tax credits? Those with the secure jobs. Those that were hurt the least by the current financial downturn.

Yeah. Thanks, Stephen Harper.

There's something distasteful about giving so many tax credits during one of the worst financial times in recent memory. With people losing their jobs and out of work, who is really benefitting from these tax credits? Those with the secure jobs. Those that were hurt the least by the current financial downturn.
The Liberals are announcing their platform today. It apparently includes 8.2 billion targeted at the middle class including a $500 million green tax credit. I expect you will condemn it with equally strong vitriol. Edited by TimG

The Liberals are announcing their platform today. It apparently includes 8.2 billion targeted at the middle class including a $500 million green tax credit. I expect you will condemn it with equally strong vitriol.

Well, I don't like it.

It's only merit is that at least is has some meaning - if you spend the full $13,500 then your tax break is going to be $2,025 (15% of $13,500) as opposed to the spend $500 and save $75 nonsense the the CPC keeps feeding people.

Nevertheless, I want to see less tax credits period and a flatter tax system.

No it isn't. When you say you're going to take the corporate tax rate from 16.5% to 18%, then you're talking about raising taxes.

I agree.

Reminds me of 2006: Paul Martin reduced personal income taxes on the first bracket to 15% from 16% (and previously to that from 17%) in his November 2005 economic update.

Harper get elected in early 2006 and raised it up to 15.5% to get his GST cut through.

I remember conservatives trying to convince me that it was an income tax cut from 16% to 15.5% rather than the true reality of an income tax increase from 15% to 15.5%.

Edited by msj

I remember conservatives trying to convince me that it was an income tax cut from 16% to 15.5% rather than the true reality of an income tax increase from 15% to 15.5%.

Ah, the reasonings of mindless partisans.

Edited by Smallc

It's only merit is that at least is has some meaning - if you spend the full $13,500 then your tax break is going to be $2,025 (15% of $13,500) as opposed to the spend $500 and save $75 nonsense the the CPC keeps feeding people.
So you approve of tax credits if they are large enough to be significant?

The Liberals are announcing their platform today. It apparently includes 8.2 billion targeted at the middle class including a $500 million green tax credit. I expect you will condemn it with equally strong vitriol.

Yes. Vitriol. I'm so harsh in my condemnation of Harper's umpteen tax credits. I better show the same disdain for the single tax-credit announced by the Liberals.

I don't think tax-credits are the way to go when the economy is bad. People are out of work and it only serves to give more money to those that are well-off. I haven't looked at the Liberal's plan, so I can't comment. However, if it adds a cost to damaging the environment, then I think it's necessary to dissuade people from acting as though there is no cost associated with destroying the planet.

Like I said, I haven't read about it yet, but I still don't like the idea of tax credits, but in particular the amount of tax-credits given by Harper. A few tax-credit programs are absolutely fine. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any. But it seems that every last announcement by Harper is some tax-credit scheme. Same with the proposed budget that we didn't see voted upon. It was all tax-credits. That's great for those that are working and secure in these "tough financial times", as Harper keeps reminding us. However, if the times are as tough as they say and he continues giving tax credits for everything, he's only serving to increase the gap between the rich and the poor. It's nothing more than an attack on the middle-class, to be honest.

Because the shareholders and bondholders have to be paid. Those businesses have obligations. A tax hike eats into the bottom line, and prices will have to go up to make up for the revenue shortfall. Or workers have to be let go, or the companies could potentially relocate taking their jobs with them. This isn't the 50s anymore when it was only a few wealthy countries.

geez I thought conservative mantra was let the free market decide process now you want the opposite...not my problem, higher prices don't affect anyone if you refuse to pay, corporations will find ways to keep prices down because that's how the free market process is supposed to work...

geez I thought conservative mantra was let the free market decide process now you want the opposite...not my problem, higher prices don't affect anyone if you refuse to pay, corporations will find ways to keep prices down because that's how the free market process is supposed to work...

If taxes are higher then that's a cost of doing business and it goes right into the cost of whatever is being sold. The tax applies to everyone so everyone transfers the extra cost to the price of their goods/services and the competition remains unchanged....at least in your country. It makes investment in Canadian business less competitive overall.