Federal Election Polls

We can't have the Liberals, NDP, or any other party having absolute control over legislation with less than 40% of the vote.

Did that bother you between April 1997 and November 2000? Or with the barely 40% numbers in the 1993 or 2000 elections?

I disagree. A better system is the Westminster System with more controls on the power of the PMO. PMs in the UK and Australia have been deposed by sitting MPs but in Canada party constitutions prohibit that. Michael Chong's bill should be passed and we should see how that works to fix some of the issues we have.

Wasn't Chretien deposed by Martin's "palace revolt" in November 2003? Edited by jbg

The US system has it right by separating the legislator and the executive.

If you wanted a system where 40% doesn't mean a defacto dictatorship, allow people to vote for their legislator and the head of the executive separately and they have to collaborate to pass laws.

But then we might see the paralysis that we do in the US.

We haven't been doing so well since 2010 when the GOP has held one house of the bicameral legistature. Obama has basically been governing by dicatorial executive orders. So it's not always perfect. In fact, people were looking to Canada as an example in 1974, when Trudeau "lost" (in retrospect threw) a vote of no-confidence, and we were stuck with the misery of an impeachment and removal effort involving Nixon. Edited by jbg

Did that bother you between April 1997 and November 2000?

I'm telling you now that it doesn't sit well with me that a majority government can be formed with less than 40% of the popular vote, regardless of the party. So if you're asking whether or not I'm ok with it being formed by the Liberals, the answer was already pretty clear.

I'm telling you now that it doesn't sit well with me that a majority government can be formed with less than 40% of the popular vote, regardless of the party. So if you're asking whether or not I'm ok with it being formed by the Liberals, the answer was already pretty clear.

I didn't "know" you in 1993, 1997 or 2000.

BOOMFACE! redux

http://globalnews.ca/news/1773257/conservatives-pull-ahead-of-liberals-could-be-on-cusp-on-majority-poll/

A new poll suggests that the Conservatives have moved into the lead in national voting intentions, opening up a four-point edge over the Liberals. Is this poll a sign that the Conservatives are in the midst of a breakthrough as this election year begins, or is it an outlier poll that will soon be corrected by a regression towards the mean? And does the poll really put the Conservatives on the 'cusp of a majority'?

http://www.threehundredeight.com

Better get FPTP banned soon!

I don’t put much stock in polls, as I’ve said numerous times, but I would also expect a slight improvement in NDP numbers at the expense of the Liberals, as the NDP further expands upon its own platform…..I don’t see how the Liberals can continue to not release further policy pieces, nor Trudeau to continue to respond to “news events” through Twitter or his proxy Marc Garneau............

I don’t put much stock in polls, as I’ve said numerous times, but I would also expect a slight improvement in NDP numbers at the expense of the Liberals, as the NDP further expands upon its own platform…..I don’t see how the Liberals can continue to not release further policy pieces, nor Trudeau to continue to respond to “news events” through Twitter or his proxy Marc Garneau............

It's a dire sign for the Liberal brass that they think they're better off not letting JT say anything. I don't think I heard him say anything about the Charlie Hedbo massacre last week. They're afraid he'll pull another "they're excluded from society" blast.

It's a dire sign for the Liberal brass that they think they're better off not letting JT say anything. I don't think I heard him say anything about the Charlie Hedbo massacre last week. They're afraid he'll pull another "they're excluded from society" blast.

In fairness, after the events in Paris, I believe Trudeau sent out a handful of "Tweets"......of course, who's to say if he was the one to send them, or some profound staffer or aide.

After watching the Sunday news shows today, one item that came up was the a possible reason for the Budget was put off until April.....an election in May? Reason for this are the Tories will bring down a budget and use that budget as their platform for the election and the trial of Duffy. Thoughts?

After watching the Sunday news shows today, one item that came up was the a possible reason for the Budget was put off until April.....an election in May? Reason for this are the Tories will bring down a budget and use that budget as their platform for the election and the trial of Duffy. Thoughts?

I don't think Harper is going to unilaterally violate his own law. 2008 was different. It was a minority government and law couldn't possibly apply to those.

I'd bet heavily on a spring election. Too many chickens coming home to roost for Harper. As you mentioned, the Duffy trial, and of course now the budget debacle. I bet there are somed serious strategy meetings going on with Stevie ranting and raving as he is wont to do apparently.

It might be in Harper's best interest to call an early election. I'd wager he's already losing any ground he's gained on the liberals. What should be a sure vote from Veterans is now in question and with his family tax promises now looking like a failure I think he is pretty much done. An impressive run but I think the fat lady is screaming at this point.

I'd bet heavily on a spring election. Too many chickens coming home to roost for Harper. As you mentioned, the Duffy trial, and of course now the budget debacle. I bet there are somed serious strategy meetings going on with Stevie ranting and raving as he is wont to do apparently.

OK, bet heavily on it then. Bet your house on it.

It's easy to say BS like that on a message board without any evidence whatsoever.

Edited by Boges

No, I think that predicting a snap election without a thread of evidence is BS. They delayed the budget because of the price of oil.

Only Harper Haters care about Duffy.

Uhh, usually you don't have evidence of a snap election, which is what makes it a snap election. The Duffy case is but one of a number of issues Harper doesn't want to face during an election campaign, hence the speculation he will call one.

Uhh, usually you don't have evidence of a snap election, which is what makes it a snap election. The Duffy case is but one of a number of issues Harper doesn't want to face during an election campaign, hence the speculation he will call one.

Nobody cares about Duffy. It's the Canadian left's Benghazi.

By people who just would love to squeal with indignation that Harper didn't stick to his fixed election date law again.

When you look at the poll numbers and the fact that everything JT says is an embarrassment to his party, it would be beneficial to allow JT to lose the election on his own.

Duffy wasted $90,000? JT wants to tack on a Carbon tax. What do you think Canadians care about more?

Edited by Boges

By people who just would love to squeal with indignation that Harper didn't stick to his fixed election date law again.

When you look at the poll numbers and the fact that everything JT says is an embarrassment to his party, it would be beneficial to allow JT to lose the election on his own.

Duffy wasted $90,000? JT wants to tack on a Carbon tax. What do you think Canadians care about more?

What people want to know is who's 90k Duffy wasted and why, and how deep into the PMO does it go. Alta. and BC already have carbon taxes. Works very well in both provinces. And if you're tracking embarrasing statements, try listening to Harper in QP sometime.