Coalition: September 2004, December 2008 & Now

Michael Ignatieff:

When asked if he’s prepared to form a coalition, Mr. Ignatieff replied by saying voters have a choice between the “blue door” (the Conservatives) and the “red door” (the Liberals).

“I’m here to form a Liberal government with this incredibly talented caucus. That is the only game that I am, or will be, playing.”

When pressed further at the news conference about whether he is prepared to accept the verdict of voters if they elect a minority Conservative government, Mr. Ignatieff returned to his previous answer.

“There’s a blue door. There’s a red door. We’re going to form a Liberal government. Is that clear enough for you?” Mr. Ignatieff then abruptly ended the news conference and walked off.

National Post

WTF? "Clear"?

-----

Given how this thread has been hijacked and merged with other threads, I have edited the title to more accurately reflect the discussion.

Edited by August1991

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When pressed further at the news conference about whether he is prepared to accept the verdict of voters if they elect a minority Conservative government, Mr. Ignatieff returned to his previous answer.

What does that question even mean? "Accept the verdict of voters?"

Is Ignatieff going to seize power in a military coup and install himself as President-for-Life if voters elect a minority Conservative government? :rolleyes:

Coalition!Coalition!Coalition!Coalition!Coalition!Coalition!Coalition!Coalition!

<_<

I'm not sure if this is from the same Ignatieff scrum, I suspect it is.

“You go through the Blue Door and you get jets, you get jails, you get corporate tax cuts, and you get miserable knockoffs of the real article,” he said.

“But, you go through the Red Door and you get compassion, you get fiscal responsibility, and you get a government relentlessly focused on the real priorities of Canadian families."

http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/columnists/mark_bonokoski/2011/03/23/17733386.html

Typically, Ignatieff's words require translation.

Walk through the blue door, you're in the land of unspeakable evils.

Walk through the red door, you're in the land of milk and honey.

In essence, he kinda, sorta hinted in a nuanced way he's not endorsing a coalition of the losing parties. But this is Ignatieffspeak, so it's difficult to tell.

Typically, Ignatieff's words require translation.

Walk through the blue door, you're in the land of unspeakable evils.

To be fair, he only pointed out the Conservatives party's own stated priorities.

Edited by SF/PF

Michael Ignatieff:National Post

WTF? "Clear"?

Another prime example of Ignatieff saying stupid things.Not the first time.

Thats why Harper says very little

But at the same time he is not going for the true blue votes.He knows that they are a waste of time.He is targeting a more narrow group of swing voters.And possibly trying to provoke the conservatives into a race to the biggest blunder.

WWWTT

I really don't see what is not clear, let alone stupid, in what he is saying. You have two choices, thats it.

Two choices in a 4 party system?

I choice is to vote Conservative..the other choice? To vote for one of the other 3 parties....?

*sniff*

Smells like coalition ...

In essence, he kinda, sorta hinted in a nuanced way he's not endorsing a coalition of the losing parties. But this is Ignatieffspeak, so it's difficult to tell.

There is no hinting or nuance in Igantieffs position.

Ignatieff knows he simply cannot endorse a colaition publicly because a) it's an admission he expects to lost the election even though it is obvious he will and B) he will form a colaition aat his earliest opportunity because it is the only way he will ever become PM or remain as leader of the Liberals beyond May 3.

Note that Layton has openly stated he will back a coalition immediately after an election that returns a Tory minority govt. And of course we know Duceppe would be absolutely delighted to join any coalition for obvious reasons.

Two choices in a 4 party system?

I choice is to vote Conservative..the other choice? To vote for one of the other 3 parties....?

*sniff*

Smells like coalition ...

There are more then 4 parties. And there are also independents. People have their choice of who to vote for as their MP.

Ignatieff has made a huge concession as a Liberal during an election. They usually think their is only one party, one choice and one traditional governing party and that is NOT the Conservatives.

I thought you were smarter then to be a chicken nodder to Coalition copouts.

I happen to believe that a coalition is a real option that the Liberals with the NDP will effect if they have a chance.

Happen to Believe? You'd have to be brain dead not to think it ineviatble if Hrper does not get a majority. Layton and Duceppe are not coy about their support for a Coalition, and Ignatieff is making stange about it only because he has to continue to pretend he can form a govt on his own.

And of course the Bloc will be a full partner, there cannot be a Coalition without the Bloc Quebecois.

If I was a Quebec voter, and decided that the Tories could not win a majority, I'd be voting Bloc for sure. You'd be crazy to do otherwise. With 50 or 60 seats, the Bloc would be a force in the Commons as a charter member of The Coalition, and everybody in La Belle Province knows it.

Happen to Believe? You'd have to be brain dead not to think it ineviatble if Hrper does not get a majority. Layton and Duceppe are not coy about their support for a Coalition, and Ignatieff is making stange about it only because he has to continue to pretend he can form a govt on his own.

And of course the Bloc will be a full partner, there cannot be a Coalition without the Bloc Quebecois.

If I was a Quebec voter, and decided that the Tories could not win a majority, I'd be voting Bloc for sure. You'd be crazy to do otherwise. With 50 or 60 seats, the Bloc would be a force in the Commons as a charter member of The Coalition, and everybody in La Belle Province knows it.

Your magic 8 ball filling you in on a coalition?

Can u link me to that? I am unaware of Harper losing his cool?

It was at his 11:30 AM press briefing yesterday in the House of Commons Foyer.

Harper has constantly been fighting with the press as he always trying to manage the press questions having one of his handlers decide who gets to ask the questions. Well that did NOT happen yesterday, and needless to say it was quite obvious that he was not pleased. It's election time, and he had better get used to it.

I don't get it. I thought Ignatieff handled the question very easily. He's pumped unlike Harper who lost his cool at his scum and ran away after 2 questions when his handlers lost control of the questioners.

Good reply Harry and very true!

Some people only think Harper is smart because he has not said anything stupid.

Not saying something stupid is not evidence you are brilliant.

Some people here can't get their heads around this.

WWWTT

Good reply Harry and very true!

Some people only think Harper is smart because he has not said anything stupid.

Not saying something stupid is not evidence you are brilliant.

Some people here can't get their heads around this.

WWWTT

Before anyone else says it "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and confirm it."

As I say, Harper ain't my man anymore, but Iggy still needs to learn the above.