Harper raises canada international reputation

you mean like the rejection of the potashcorp purchase?

ALL.

which has nothing to to do with Harper..

It has everything to do with Harper. As much as 62 cent dollar had to do with Chretein. Everytime he went to speak at Wall Street dollar sunk.

After all lefties claim weak US$ is the works of G.W.Bush.

It has everything to do with Harper. As much as 62 cent dollar had to do with Chretein. Everytime he went to speak at Wall Street dollar sunk.

Chretien wasn't responsible for the 62 cent dollar, nor is Harper fully responsible for Canada's international reputation.

All the hacks here tend to forget that politics are almost always GREY.

Lower our international reputation, madly deflect blame. Raise our international reputation, praise Harper.

Isn't the sort of realpolitik that Harris did with the nurses in Ontario? You know, fire a bunch of them, reduce their numbers in hospitals and then, when an election is coming up, extend an olive branch to the nurses and say, "See? See what I did?"

It sounds like a revolutionary tactic to me, based on common sense.

Lower our international reputation, madly deflect blame. Raise our international reputation, praise Harper.

Isn't the sort of realpolitik that Harris did with the nurses in Ontario? You know, fire a bunch of them, reduce their numbers in hospitals and then, when an election is coming up, extend an olive branch to the nurses and say, "See? See what I did?"

It sounds like a revolutionary tactic to me, based on common sense.

:D

Good point about Harris...

You forgot to mention all the civil servants that had to be quietly hired back as independent contractors at 3 times their original rate of pay...

"The Common Sense Revolution" in full bloom!!!

:lol:

Edited by Jack Weber

as well as international investment and our dollar.

He is doing all this great work amid negative press from the majority of our news agencies. It leads me to believe that these news agencies live in a different reality then what exists in Canada.

Not as far as I've experienced. Its been strait down with the cons bridge burning policies, this is just a blip.

Your experience of what other countries think of us is totally relevant to the discussion. Other countries (and the polls) are enlightened by it.....

Edited by Moonbox

http://www.desmogblog.com/canada-already-track-be-fossil-year-cancun-cleans-day-one-talks

"30 November 10

Canada Already on Track to be Fossil of the Year in Cancun; Cleans up on Day One of the Talks"

GOOD'UN!

From your LINK:

- "Canada is off to an impressive start at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Cancun, if what you're measuring is climate inaction and environmental embarrassment.

Today, at the first set of the Fossil of the Day awards, Canada took home not one, or two, but all three of the awards. The dubious 'honour' is voted on by an international coalition of than 400 leading international environmental organizations, including Greenpeace, who vote on the countries that performed the worst during the past day’s negotiations. Turns out if you are really committed to climate inaction, fail to have any plan to meet already weak targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, defeat a climate change bill that was already passed in your House of Commons by holding a snap vote by an unelected Senate after no debate, and are complicit in trying to weaken climate policy outside of your own national borders, you can win all three of the humiliating prizes." -

Hmmm, almost makes one wonder why Canada wasn't a "shoe-in" for that traditional seat on the UN SECURITY COUNCIL doesn't it?

Hell, even the U.S. and GB couldn't find anything nice to say about Canada in support of that nomination...

Canada's "reputation" in the world on almost every front is the LOWEST it has EVER been...

THANK YOU Mr. Harper...

Interesting that the Sun article doesn't include a mention that the increasein positive public opinion about Canada in 2011 followed a DECREASE in the 2010 poll, the first one in all these polls (the first one was taken in 2005). Why didn't anybody wake me up when Ignatieff was our PM in 2009?

from the CBC

As for the dismissal of the Olympics as a factor, it just so happens that the country whose opinion climbed the most from 2010 to 2011 was South Africa... You know, the host country of the World Cup?

As for the dismissal of the Olympics as a factor, it just so happens that the country whose opinion climbed the most from 2010 to 2011 was South Africa... You know, the host country of the World Cup?

It's not exactly remarkable that a third world country known for nothing other than apartheid and HIV/AIDS gets a publicity boost when someone sees something other than that.

As for Harper's international reputation, I'm proud of what he's done. SHAME ON US for being net energy producers and for clubbing baby seals. SHAAAAME.

It's not exactly remarkable that a third world country known for nothing other than apartheid and HIV/AIDS gets a publicity boost when someone sees something other than that.

As for Harper's international reputation, I'm proud of what he's done. SHAME ON US for being net energy producers and for clubbing baby seals. SHAAAAME.

Had our standing in the GlobeScan survey dropped over past years, I could see a reason for the self flagellation of some posters. But no, our standing has improved and some posters still don't see something to be pleased about. Man, will this Canadian self hatred in the face of good news ever end?

as well as international investment and our dollar.

He is doing all this great work amid negative press from the majority of our news agencies. It leads me to believe that these news agencies live in a different reality then what exists in Canada.

and I was thinking the same of some posters... quoted even!

Had our standing in the GlobeScan survey dropped over past years, I could see a reason for the self flagellation of some posters. But no, our standing has improved and some posters still don't see something to be pleased about. Man, will this Canadian self hatred in the face of good news ever end?

It's not self-hatred, it's foolish partisan politics. Not the same thing.

Seriously, it's the Canadian Right, or sectors of it, who unequivocally wish we were more like the United States, and less like Canada.

Are they self-haters?

the argument is stronger in their case.

Firstly, I don't consider myself a Harper hater, I just don't think he makes a good PM for Canada. That being said, Harper himself, is the reason canada's international reputation took a nose dive. He doesn't stand up for Canadians outside of the country when in trouble, unless he can benefit from it. In 2007, was the worse year for Canada's reputation because he didn't stand up for Khadr or the other Canadian man, who had to live in the Canadians Embassy. The Canadians who the US called terrorist and tortured, where was the PM, no were.