Gas and oil prices

Topaz

Gas and oil prices are up again because of the situation in the Middle-East but Libya only supplies 2% of the world's supply and I can't help but wonder if this was planned by OPEC or others. OPEC says they have oil to replace what Libya supplies , so why is the prices so high? Last fall I heard gas and oil CEO`s say gas prices in North America would be 4-5.00 by the end of summer 2011. Makes one wonder who is really control the world`s economy. http://www1.albawaba.com/no-oil-worries-over-libya-upset-we-have-oil-everyone-announce-saudi-uae-oil-bosses

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of whiners....the oil and gas industries enjoy far lower profit margins than many other industries. People are dying in MidEast streets and these folks want to bitch about higher gas prices.

$4 - $5 is nothing compared to what is paid in Europe...for many years.

Good grief.....

Big oil has always had some control (or more control than we care to admit or acknowledge) over the economy. Never let a crisis go to waste. Price of oil goes up, and the oil companies laugh all the way to the bank. And we all pay for it.

No surprise there...

Wouldn't it be nice if Canada had a DOMESTIC gas price like every other oil exporting country in the world?

Ooops, Canada can't do that while Mexico can (Mexican gas is $2.70 a gallon) because Moroney gave the US the say over what Canada can/has to charge for it's own gas... Item 11 in NAFTA...

No surprise there...

Wouldn't it be nice if Canada had a DOMESTIC gas price like every other oil exporting country in the world?

Ooops, Canada can't do that while Mexico can (Mexican gas is $2.70 a gallon) because Moroney gave the US the say over what Canada can/has to charge for it's own gas... Item 11 in NAFTA...

Our situation is even more grotesque when comparing the higher price we pay for just about anything that just a drive across a bridge is usually significantly cheaper.

Our situation is even more grotesque when comparing the higher price we pay for just about anything that just a drive across a bridge is usually significantly cheaper.

A bit farther for me being in Winnipeg, but if the "spread" makes it more worthwhile I may have to start making the trip soon...

But I'm lucky, I work from home so no commutes, except to the odd client in special circumstances, two $40.00 fills a month on my second vehicle going up a few bucks won't break me...

NOW, going on driving vacations, about 2 a year, that may smart a bit...

What a bunch of whiners....the oil and gas industries enjoy far lower profit margins than many other industries. People are dying in MidEast streets and these folks want to bitch about higher gas prices.

Good grief.....

Not just paying more at the pump. You are paying more for your groceries, home heating, everything. The price of oil affects the transportation of goods across the board. It even affects the production of goods. But, I know you are smarter than what you like to portray here on MLW.

No surprise there...

It would even be better if Canada could refine and transport all that oil domestically.....but it can't. Canada also imports about 900,000 bpd of oil and refined distillates.

The average annual household income in Mexico is about 28% of US income....do the math when it comes to buying gas in Mexico City.

Good grief.....

Yeah, but Europeans have an advantage, they don't drive American cars... ;)

Now feeling sorry for Big Oil? THAT may be a bit of a tough sell even in the U.S. of A.

Seems to me that people have been dying in MidEast streets since about '03, you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?

Yeah, but Europeans have an advantage, they don't drive American cars... ;)

They don't drive Canadian cars either.

Now feeling sorry for Big Oil? THAT may be a bit of a tough sell even in the U.S. of A.

It's a fact....oil companies average less than 10% profit margin, which is less than banking, pharma, entertainment, telecom, and several other sectors. I don't know why people freak out just over gasoline prices. If you can't afford it, find an alternative like millions of others.

Seems to me that people have been dying in MidEast streets since about '03, you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?

Sure I do....we call it MPGs...as in how many Marines Per Gallon.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It would even be better if Canada could refine and transport all that oil domestically.....but it can't. Canada also imports about 900,000 bpd of oil and refined distillates.

Too true... ANOTHER thing we can thank Moroney for, letting the US refine our oil into gas and then having to buy it back at an even higher price...

Thanks for reminding me... :)

The average annual household income in Mexico is about 28% of US income....do the math when it comes to buying gas in Mexico City.

That wouldn't be why America's Big Corps. are having Mexicans make your "stuff" rather than Americans making it "at home" now would it?

That could result in HUGE unemployment who's "unemployment benefits" YOU would then have to pay for through your taxes... Of course letting people starve "Mexican style" would solve that problem...

Too true... ANOTHER thing we can thank Moroney for, letting the US refine our oil into gas and then having to buy it back at an even higher price...

Thanks for reminding me... :)

OK...but why didn't Canada build more refineries...or pipelines east? That didn't all happen on PM Mulroney's watch.

That wouldn't be why America's Big Corps. are having Mexicans make your "stuff" rather than Americans making it "at home" now would it?

Beats me...I like Mexican stuff...helped to move a plant there for an automotive Tier 3 supplier. Mexico matters....just as much as Canada in this trade zone.

That could result in HUGE unemployment who's "unemployment benefits" YOU would then have to pay for through your taxes... Of course letting people starve "Mexican style" would solve that problem...

No big deal...I'm already paying for American and Canadian unemployment.

but Libya only supplies 2% of the world's supply

Who cares if it's just 2%?

If 2% of the world's rice supply was all of a sudden destroyed, do you think prices wouldn't go up? If 2% of the world's wheat supply was all of a sudden destroyed, do you think prices wouldn't go up? If 2% of the world's fresh water was all of a sudden destroyed, do you think prices wouldn't go up?

Look at what's happened to food prices with only a tiny percentage of corn being diverted for ethanol.

As has already been stated, oil companies have some of the smallest profit margins on a gallon or litre of oil than any other industry. In fact, governements make more on taxes per gallon or litre than any oil company does.

What really cracks me up are tree huggers and global warming climate change alarmists whining about high gas prices. I guess they want cheap gas to drive their cars and vans to the next big protest!

August1991 is right....a victim's mentality.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

OK...but why didn't Canada build more refineries...or pipelines east? That didn't all happen on PM Mulroney's watch.

My you're being nice to me today...

Yep, Moroney again... Just like the US sold ol' Dief on scrapping the Arrow, Reagan sold lyin' Brian on the US can refine your oil CHEAPER - no need to build expensive refineries yourself - idea... Did the same with beef and pork too - no need for Meat Packing Plants/Slauter Houses in Canada anymore - cheaper to let the US do it for you (fine until Mad Cow came along and Canada couldn't handle it's own packaging anymore cause they'd all been closed; that cost a LOT to regain some control over our own packaging)... The pipelines? Well now because the US was doing the refining, no need for pipelines going east was there? Big Oil could send it's Oil south a lot cheaper than East besides that way they could also sell their ME oil to Canada's "east" a win-win for the US and big oil, for Canada, well not so much but hey MORONey got a nice mansion in Palm Beach Fl. out of it so who cares...

The whole story's a lot worse but that'd take a book to explain...

Oh, btw, I don't BLAME Reagan or the US for any of that, I don't call lyin' Brian MORON-ey to be nice... Being beat up like that by a guy with altzheimers says enough...

Why Chretien didn't change things I've already posted a few times elsewhere, it's enough to say he couldn't without making things even worse because the US was holding a gun to Chretien's head is saying enough...

Thanks again for reminding me how bad it really was...

Beats me...I like Mexican stuff...helped to move a plant there for an automotive Tier 3 supplier. Mexico matters....just as much as Canada in this trade zone.

:lol: What makes me laugh is that all those things I just posted about Canada/US trade, are NOW happening to YOU in US/Mexico trade... When was the last time the US built a NEW big refinery (as one example)? Mexico can do it CHEAPER don't you know...

No big deal...I'm already paying for American and Canadian unemployment.

Really? Canada too, how so?

They don't drive Canadian cars either.

We do theirs... Lot of Americans do too... Cheaper to drive don't you know... :D

Buy foreign, save on gas!

It's a fact....oil companies average less than 10% profit margin, which is less than banking, pharma, entertainment, telecom, and several other sectors. I don't know why people freak out just over gasoline prices. If you can't afford it, find an alternative like millions of others.

Cry me a river...

Amazing that BP didn't go bankrupt after spending a couple of day's income on that oil spill in the Gulf, eh...

Sure I do....we call it MPGs...as in how many Marines Per Gallon.

Whatever... Your problem, not mine...

Good grief.....

Hello - mocker - balker speaking....good work as usual...tell me about the Congo...is there gold there? You are the expert...let me know...thanks BC - have to run...my horse is outside and is chomping at the bit...

... When was the last time the US built a NEW big refinery (as one example)? Mexico can do it CHEAPER don't you know...

1976...but the existing refineries have increased capacity many times. The new Hyperion refinery in South Dakota will gulp 400,000 bpd of dirty Canadian tarsands oil.

Really? Canada too, how so?

I am a shareholder in several Canadian companies, including GM! ;)

Cry me a river...

Amazing that BP didn't go bankrupt after spending a couple of day's income on that oil spill in the Gulf, eh...

I don't know why people are so worried that gas prices will go up! Maurice Strong and the Liberal Party of Canada promised us decades ago that PetroCan would always protect us!

Speaking of BP, how much did the Liberals pay for BP when they formed PetroCan? That's the best kept secret in Canadian political history! I hear even the Auditor-General fears being shot from a grassy knoll if she ever even TRIES to find out!

I don't know why people are so worried that gas prices will go up! Maurice Strong and the Liberal Party of Canada promised us decades ago that PetroCan would always protect us!

Speaking of BP, how much did the Liberals pay for BP when they formed PetroCan? That's the best kept secret in Canadian political history! I hear even the Auditor-General fears being shot from a grassy knoll if she ever even TRIES to find out!

Suncor

1976...but the existing refineries have increased capacity many times. The new Hyperion refinery in South Dakota will gulp 400,000 bpd of dirty Canadian tarsands oil.

I am a shareholder in several Canadian companies, including GM! ;)

:D

Thanks!

Here's a little ode that's oh so TRUE;

"the rich get richer,

and the poor get poorer,"

so if you ain't rich you know where that leaves YOU...

LOL! Back in the 70's, gas prices went up so fast that the pump meters had to be indexed. I guess the rich people fixed that problem for good with new pump displays and firmware. People whining about prices today don't remember or were not alive when there were gas lines wrapped around the block, odd even days, no gas days, and siphon thieves because of supply shortages. Good times!

Good grief.....

BC, of course, people are concerned about what is happening in the Middle-East and those people are fighting for their freedoms as we have here. There's nothing wrong in TALKING about the high prices and how the speculators in the stock market are causing all this. Perhaps 4-5 dollars is nothing to you but to some people it is and I also heard that the price could go to 20.00 a gal, would THAT make you bitch? I think you should go join the military and go help those people.