Would JFK Be A Republican Today?

I doubt very much that JFK would be a Democrat today. I think he'd definitely be a Republican. Probably a moderate old-style Republican.

Judge for yourselves.

JOHN F. KENNEDY: This administration pledged itself last summer to an across-the-board, top-to-bottom cut in personal and corporate income taxes to be enacted and become effective in 1963. I am not talking about a quickie or a temporary tax cut which would be more appropriate if a recession were imminent. Nor am I talking about giving the economy a mere shot in the arm to ease some temporary complaint. The federal government's most useful role is not to rush into a program of excessive increases in public expenditures, but to expand the incentives and opportunities for private expenditures.

JOHN F. KENNEDY: When consumers purchase more goods, plants use more of their capacity, men are hired instead of laid off, investment increases and profits are higher. Corporate tax rates must also be cut to increase incentives and the availability of investment capital. The government has already taken major steps this year to reduce business tax liability and to stimulate the modernization, replacement, and expansion of our productive plant and equipment.
JOHN F. KENNEDY: Our true choice is not between tax reduction on the one hand and the avoidance of large federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits. Surely the lesson of the last decade is that budget deficits are not caused by wild-eyed spenders but by slow economic growth and periodic recessions. And any new recession would break all deficit records. In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low -- and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So JFK would be a Republican because he put in a tax cut ?

Very weak.

Wow, that response was very weak.

Not just a tax cut. He's a supply-sider. What he describes perfectly is Reaganomics. His across the board income tax rate cut is no different than Reagan's, or Bush's. The only difference, is Reagan and Bush got attacked for "tax cuts for the rich" because they cut every bracket.

It's pretty amazing. JFK gives a great description and forceful defense of what would become known as Reaganomics! :lol:

Today JFK would be viciously attacked by Democrats for cutting taxes for millionaires and billionaires, and of putting corporations ahead of poor people.

The Kennedy family is known for being Democrats. I can't see JFK suddenly changing. <_<

Yes, they do have a family tradition of being Democrats. But what makes one a Democrat doesn't always remain static. When JFK was President, Reagan was still a Democrat too. From speeches like these I can see why. But the party's drastically changed.

Trying to co-opt Kennedy as a Republican is old hat. It seems there is always a new surge when Gallup releases their annual poll of the highest rated modern presidents that shows Kennedy ranked #1 since the poll was initiated in 1990.

Reagan considered government the problem where as Kennedy considered government to be a partner for addressing the issues we faced. Listen to his words from the SOTU speech in 1962; listen to the government programs he wants expanded...SS to include Medicare, unemployment insurance, education, etc....listen for yourself and you will see that this man would never be one of today’s Republicans.

http://www.infoplease.com/t/hist/state-of-the-union/175.html

.... Listen to his words from the SOTU speech in 1962; listen to the government programs he wants expanded...SS to include Medicare, unemployment insurance, education, etc....listen for yourself and you will see that this man would never be one of today’s Republicans....

Listen to his earlier innaugural speech first:

...And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Reagan considered government the problem where as Kennedy considered government to be a partner for addressing the issues we faced. Listen to his words from the SOTU speech in 1962; listen to the government programs he wants expanded...SS to include Medicare, unemployment insurance, education, etc....listen for yourself and you will see that this man would never be one of today’s Republicans.

Like I said, he'd probably be a moderate Republican. With a similar economic philosophy as Reagan and Bush. He articulated Reaganomics perfectly.

Extreme, but it allowed the country to create a strong infrastructure, a middle class, and prosperity.

Complete nonsense. Punitive and immoral tax rates aren't the reason for infrastructure, a middle class, and prosperity. The fact that you think it is, speaks volumes. Negative volumes.

Listen to his earlier innaugural speech first:

...And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

I listened to the address when he first delivered it and I have read it several times in the ensuing years, he was challenging our better angels to be kind to each, to work together, to never waver in our commitment to freedom and democracy for ourselves and the rest of the world. Remember this was during the Cold War.

http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/John_F_Kennedy/5.htm

I listened to the address when he first delivered it and I have read it several times in the ensuing years, he was challenging our better angels to be kind to each, to work together, to never waver in our commitment to freedom and democracy for ourselves and the rest of the world. Remember this was during the Cold War.

President Kennedy used American foreign policy and military power to achieve Cold War objectives. Manned flight to the Moon was a huge cover story for the development of satellite based intelligence collection. The Bay of Pigs invasion was a setback, not a chance to change Cold War policies.

Oh....and I listened to his address live as well. ;)

Like I said, he'd probably be a moderate Republican. With a similar economic philosophy as Reagan and Bush. He articulated Reaganomics perfectly.

There are no moderate Republicans today, Shady. If there were, I would probably still be a Republican. When Reagan allowed politics to be co-opted by the religious right, the moderate Republican soon became a dinasour.

This outlines the fallacy of your position better than I can; however, one thing I shall add is that a big component of Reagonomics was deregulation, and JFK did not support deregulation.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/01/26/the-myth-of-jfk-as-supply-side-tax-cutter