The crisis in Egypt

GostHacked

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB Globe - Allow me to ask you a simple question. Do you think the video I posted in here with the Egyptian protestors/rioters speaking with Nic Robertson is an example of anti-Semitism? Is wishing for the destruction of Israel anti-Semitic?

No.

I've watched the video several times, they don't even say "we want to destroy Israel" (not sure where you got that, give me the time on the video if I missed it) what they say is:

"Israel is supporting Mubarak"

"Israel controls America"

"Israel is our enemy"

Meaning - that their opinion of Israel is directly related to Israel's support of Mubarak and his regime. And most likely the occupation doesn't help either.

So no - I don't think that hating Israel because of it's foreign policy is anti-semitic. Just like I don't think hating America's foreign policy and considering it your enemy because of that policies' affects on you to be anti-American. It's probably a reaction most of us would have, but many here are incapable of empathizing to learn from other perspectives (note: empathzing is not the same thing as condoning)

I have said far less than you. So who is the "troll"?

You are.

Trolling is in the method, not the word count.

My main purpose here isn't to "teach those anti-American Canadians a lesson / play the role of the ugly American that they love to hate"

You're a joke, and no one should take you seriously.

I think it's a dual purpose...

1.Keep the Islamofascist dogs away from Israel and perpetuate the Saddat tradition of secular Egypt/Israeli relations.This is not necessarily a bad thing...

2.Protect the Suez Canal,which has been a hot spot since Nassar...

Excellent take on the stock market!I think this is going to be a long term thing.If the Islamofascists get control of Egypt and the Suez,the oil companies are going to make out like bandits.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a notion that the pro-Mubarak supporters are getting paid.This is standard Fascist MO...Hitler paid his thugs,Mussolini paid his thugs,Franco paid his thugs,Salazar paud his thugs...etc...And in Egypt,being such a poor country,I'll bet it takes very little to buy ones loyalties.And seeing as Mubarak and his henchmen have all the money,the fearful will flow back to him....

Another thing I wish people would keep an eye on...The Bankers...Mr.Mubarak is simply buying time to try to rape as much wealth out of Egypt and put into Swiss bank accounts as he can before he makes his hasty retreat...

Ummm, remember that "1000 Prisoners Escaped" news item that was a minor news item on day 3 (I think), about the same time as the police retreated and security forces went "absent" in all this?

I wondered about that at the time, now I can stop wondering... This is starting to look like a rerun of an early '30s Newsreal...

Appointing his "Spy Guy" as vice-president, nice touch, wasn't it? Mubarak's 82, wonder where he got those ideas... Some things leave lasting impressions on the young...

One more thing, the composition and actions so far, of the Egyptian military, is what gives me the most hope for a relatively good outcome of this event, after 30 years, its very hard to fire on sons and daughters and parents... They also are unlikely to become, or support, too religious, or extreme, a regime... UNLESS, they aren't kept fat and happy, catch my drift?

THAT was the biggest mistake of the whole Iraq war, dispanding the Iraqi Military, if the U.S. hadn't done that -?!?!- well, I guess we'll never know...

When you go that route of "what started it" why not go all the way back to the Germanic tribes, the Huns, eh... :blink:

the huns weren't germanic they were asiatic, likely mongolians...

germanic tribes...no, the germanic tribes (Franks) controlled france after the fall of the western roman empire and formed it's first royal dynasties the merovingians and the carolingians so at that time it was germanic(Franks) vs other germanic tribes...the truly french entity came later after the Franks were assimilated into the population... Richelieu made it official policy...

...You're a joke, and no one should take you seriously.

Then why have you expended so much off topic energy on 'lil 'ol me, Sugar? I am a member of this forum just like you, have never been banned or suspended, which is more than several others can say.

For some reason you decided my opinion is/was not permissible? What gives you this authority?

Wow, so some Mubarak supporters were paid to hit the streets to show support for him. Complete corruption.

Where do you think the 350 000 national police force disappeared to in the last few days?

They showed up with knives and sticks to try and scare people into going home.

Some "pro Mubarak protestors" have already been arrested by the military and they've found police ID on them.

The military needs to start seriously thinking about a coup if Mubarak is now sanctioning violence against peaceful protestors. Get him out, get a transitional government in, and hold elections ASAP.

Also - will this finally be the breaking point where Western leaders finally throw Mubarak under the bus and demand he leave? I mean - if not this, than what would it take?

the huns weren't germanic they were asiatic, likely mongolians...

germanic tribes...no, the germanic tribes (Franks) controlled france after the fall of the western roman empire and formed it's first royal dynasties the merovingians and the carolingians so at that time it was germanic(Franks) vs other germanic tribes...the truly french entity came later after the Franks were assimilated into the population... Richelieu made it official policy...

MANY theories on that subject... Attila and the Khans are often confused

http://www.boglewood.com/timeline/attila.html

Have a look at the pic on that link, Asian or Germanic?

Btw, the Franks were just ONE of the Germanic Tribes, one of the most southern, they covered a vast territory...

I didn't say it wasn't permissible, I just said your opinions aren't worth considering, given your record of trolling.

Nobody cares if you consider such opinions or not, you still do not have the authority to stifle debate. You got your panties in a knot over my contention of a pathetic situation in Egypt, then escalated to a personal attack, which I am more than happy to oblige.

The West loved a shah that was tyrannical (not murderous) towards Communist agitators and was making attempts to Westernise a Middle Eastern country.

:)

Oh, sure. The infamous secret police, and the (yes, murderous) policies of the Shah were only about "communists." And when people were tortured and executed, we know it was always and only "communists" who were the victims.

:)

Or, we can pretend to talk about reality, rather than the fairy tale view plagiarized from epic poems and children' tales.

prosperity that was promised, anyway. The former just provided Pahlavi's enemies with the grounds on which to build, when the time was right, over-inflated myths about the Shah's attitudes (only to then turn around, when they themselves were in power, and impose against their opposition manners that were ten times more draconian than anything the Shah was guilty of).

I agree that the Revolution breeded something worse than the Shah. But the Shah's enemies were not only the Islamists (oh...and the Communists), with everyone else thinking he was a great guy. the Revolution had a lot of support from a lot of people. They were mistaken to side with fundamentalists (as was the West, who has done so frequently), but there was plenty of opposition, by secular, liberal forces.

Who were also enemies of the Shah-loving West, don't forget. The democrats, the secularists, the liberals...all despised by the West, who favoured instead the dictatorial Shah.

Edited by bloodyminded

They didn't really say anything that isn't said by a good chunk of the Canadian population. But then again, you think most Canadians hate Jews, because Canada is a lefty country and lefties are anti-Semitic most of the time.

Yes, it always comes back to the tautology. And tautologies are designed (consciously) to end all debate in its tracks.

MANY theories on that subject... Attila and the Khans are often confused

http://www.boglewood.com/timeline/attila.html

Have a look at the pic on that link, Asian or Germanic?

Btw, the Franks were just ONE of the Germanic Tribes, one of the most southern, they covered a vast territory...

no confusion, huns homeland was in mongolia and they battled the chinese constantly...your pic is a 16th century dipiction, no one in the 16th century had any clue what a hun was, where they came from, or what they looked like...

Franks(salian) were not based in the south they were given land within the roman empire, Toxandria what today is southern netherlands, belgium, only after the collapse of roman power did they spread out from their base into southern gaul and then back into germany...

Oh, sure. The infamous secret police, and the policies of the Shah were only about "communists."

Do you expect me to defend words I never said?

I agree that the Revolution breeded something worse than the Shah. But the Shah's enemies were not only the Islamists (oh...and the Communists), with everyone else thinking he was a great guy. the Revolution had a lot of support from a lot of people. They were mistaken to side with fundamentalists (as was the West, who has done so frequently), but there was plenty of opposition, by secular, liberal forces.

The revolution had support from much of the populace because there was wide disappointment with the failure of the Shah's social policies to deliver anything but economic paucity, far from the prosperity that was promised. As well as taking advantage of the Shah's weakness, the mullahs and Communists jumped on that pre-existing popular discontent and enflamed it by playing up Pahlavi as a man who was simultaneously a tyrant and a puppet of the United States. Iranians had much to be concerned about under the last Shah; but, a huge mass of them was misled by self-interested individuals and their supporters. Just like the French of the late 18th century, who brought the Reign of Terror upon themselves by pulling Louis XVI off the throne and leaving a vacuum to be filled by real despots, the Iranians, as a consequence of their haste, driven by propaganda and passion over logic, wound up learning what tyranny actually means. I hope Egyptians don't end up repeating the pattern yet again.

Where do you think the 350 000 national police force disappeared to in the last few days?

They showed up with knives and sticks to try and scare people into going home.

Some "pro Mubarak protestors" have already been arrested by the military and they've found police ID on them.

The military needs to start seriously thinking about a coup if Mubarak is now sanctioning violence against peaceful protestors. Get him out, get a transitional government in, and hold elections ASAP.

Also - will this finally be the breaking point where Western leaders finally throw Mubarak under the bus and demand he leave? I mean - if not this, than what would it take?

Probably a Tianneman Square incident...