Democratic Congresswoman almost killed in Arizona

Oh I know. I find it hilarious that someone like Scalia would say what he did in that article. 60 minutes ran a really interesting piece on his life story and his thoughts on constitutional law. He's a person who thinks the US constitution is a dead document and that it's interpretation can't be based upon what the founders thought or what it means today but only in what is physically written down. Yet, in the excerpt of his decision, he does exactly the opposite of what he preaches.

I find no humour in it other than correcting your mistake(s).

Neverthelass, it is the majority opinion and has the full weight of the SCOTUS behind it.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect. The majority make the law, the minoity publish their opinion.

I beg to differ with you. It isn't unusual for a variety of dissenting opinions with no particular opinion presenting a majority view. Go back to school.

Edited by pinko

I beg to differ with you. It isn't unusual for a variety of dissenting opinions with no particular opinion presenting a majority view. Go back to school.

Beg all you want. The decision was 5 to 4 in favour of the fundamental right to bear arms.

Leran to reed.

Oh I know. I find it hilarious that someone like Scalia would say what he did in that article. 60 minutes ran a really interesting piece on his life story and his thoughts on constitutional law. He's a person who thinks the US constitution is a dead document and that it's interpretation can't be based upon what the founders thought or what it means today but only in what is physically written down. Yet, in the excerpt of his decision, he does exactly the opposite of what he preaches.

Off topic but just a quick aside that I thought you might find of interest about Scala’s views..women aren’t people; life, liberty and property can be denied us along with a whole host of other things, like choice.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-07/women-aren-t-people-under-scalia-s-constitution-commentary-by-ann-woolner.html

Off topic but just a quick aside that I thought you might find of interest about Scala’s views..women aren’t people; life, liberty and property can be denied us along with a whole host of other things, like choice.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-07/women-aren-t-people-under-scalia-s-constitution-commentary-by-ann-woolner.html

Such an enlightened man...not

"This is a very difficult time for us. We ask the media to respect our privacy. There are no words that can possibly express how we feel. We wish that there were, so we could make you feel better. We don't understand why this happened. It may not make any difference, but we wish that we could change the heinous events of Saturday. We care very deeply about the victims and their families. We are so very sorry for their loss. Thank you. The Loughner family."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-jared-loughner-parents-20110112,0,33356.story

Guest TrueMetis

What a person would do in such circumstances is really an unknown. No doubt if I felt my family was threatened I would do what I considered needed to be done to address such a situation.

And it would probably be something really stupid, no offense meant but most people just aren't trained for those types of situations. When you are in a situation where you or your love ones are in real danger your rational brain literally turns off, so you are acting totally on instinct. This is why police and the military train so much so they go on training instead of instinct in those situations. so it can be seen why people might not think guns are a great idea because they will most likely be used when you are not thinking rationally.

And I think this is relevant :D

Here’s a few from the last election cycle……..and these are just a few of the candidates, I don’t have the time for the pundits or bloggers.

- The GOP Senate candidate who recommended "Second Amendment remedies". Sharron Angle

-- The GOP Congressional candidate who fired shots at a silhouette with his opponent's initials on it Robert Lowrey

-- The GOP Congressional candidate who declared, "If I could issue hunting permits, I would officially declare today opening day for liberals. The season would extend through November 2 and have no limits on how many taken as we desperately need to 'thin' the herd." Brad Goehring

-- The GOP Congressional candidate who said he considered the violent overthrow of the United States to government an "option" and added that political violence is "on the table"? Stephen Broden

And, obviously, regardless of the effectiveness.

It had nothing to do with "effectiveness". The point of the legislation is to designate "shall issue" concealed carry criteria for law abiding citizens. Generally this means a background check and certified training. Target practice at the range is encouraged!

Edited by bush_cheney2004