Need for National Myths, Canada v. U.S.

I've been to Houston and a little town called Kemah, and like you, I found all of the people quite friendly -- and there were cultural differences from where I live, too. Which only makes sense considering the size of the U.S., the number of states, and the vast differences among them. There is an element of patriotism at ballgames, I agree. It's part of the fun. But I think that's true in Canada, too. At least I thought so when I went to a Blue Jays game in Toronto. I do agree, though, that each society expresses its patriotism in its own way. I've seen very strong exhibitions of patriotism from other nations, and I think it's great. I think allegiance to one's country is a good thing.

I've seen very strong exhibitions of patriotism from other nations, and I think it's great.

Thats certainly the conventional wisdom, but its good to question conventional wisdom once in a while too. Patriotism is a uniting force but it can also be a dangerous one.

Heres an article that talks about some of the dangers.

http://www.swarthmore.edu/Humanities/tkitao1/patriotism.html

Edited by dre

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to Houston and a little town called Kemah, and like you, I found all of the people quite friendly -- and there were cultural differences from where I live, too. Which only makes sense considering the size of the U.S., the number of states, and the vast differences among them. There is an element of patriotism at ballgames, I agree. It's part of the fun. But I think that's true in Canada, too. At least I thought so when I went to a Blue Jays game in Toronto. I do agree, though, that each society expresses its patriotism in its own way. I've seen very strong exhibitions of patriotism from other nations, and I think it's great. I think allegiance to one's country is a good thing.

I agree that allegiance to one's country is fine provided that doesn't foreclose criticism of government policy from time to time. The Blue Jays had a pretty good team in the 90s. You might notice expressions of patriotism at hockey games especially when Canada is playing the Russians or Americans. The Russians beat us recently in the junior tournament.

Edited by pinko

I agree that allegiance to one's country is fine provided that doesn't foreclose criticism of government policy from time to time.

In my humble opinion it absolutely does not.

Guest American Woman

I agree that allegiance to one's country is fine provided that doesn't foreclose criticism of government policy from time to time. The Blue Jays had a pretty good team in the 90s. You might notice expressions of patriotism at hockey games especially when Canada is playing the Russians or Americans. The Russians beat us recently in the junior tournament.

I don't think people can have true allegiance to their country if they don't ever criticize government policy and try to change what's wrong; I think dedication to one's country involves caring enough to want to try to change things if the country is going in the wrong direction. I think there's a huge difference between allegiance and blind acceptance, which I don't see as the definition of patriotism -- and many a great American hasn't seen it that way, either. This country wasn't made great by blind acceptance of government policy, and I don't believe any Democracy can thrive under such conditions.

The Blue Jays beat the Red Sox at the game I was at. And yes, I've noticed Canadian expressions of patriotism at hockey games..... B)

You quoted me on that but It wasnt me that said it.

I see very few national flags in front of peoples homes where I live. In fact I cant think of any.

I've got a few years behind me I can only ever recall one home with a canadian flag, and I'm not even sure about that it was so long ago...there is a home down the street from me with an american flag...

I have a little sports patriotism but even then it's only a game...if my city actually had hockey players that weren't paid mercenaries I might even have some civic patriotism but I don't B)

Guest American Woman
I've got a few years behind me I can only ever recall one home with a canadian flag, and I'm not even sure about that it was so long ago...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, right. I think your recollection says a lot more about your powers of observation/memory than it does about the number of houses flying the Canadian flag.

I have a little sports patriotism but even then it's only a game...if my city actually had hockey players that weren't paid mercenaries I might even have some civic patriotism but I don't B)

I tend to agree with you although in the case of the junior players they haven't attained the status of paid mecenaries. Monetary considerations aside I really enjoy Olympic hockey as it is fast and exciting in addition to highlighting the skills of these elite athletes.

I've got a few years behind me I can only ever recall one home with a canadian flag, and I'm not even sure about that it was so long ago...there is a home down the street from me with an american flag...

Where I live, there are literally Canada flags on every third home.....right now, mine has an NS flag, but usually it has a Canada flag.

Guest TrueMetis

Where I live, there are literally Canada flags on every third home.....right now, mine has an NS flag, but usually it has a Canada flag.

I've seen a couple of houses with Canadian flags around my town, including my own.

Guest American Woman

I've seen many a Canadian flag flying during my time in Canada. Canada's flags, since I don't see them every day, really stand out when I see them, the way American flags most likely stand out to visitors to the U.S. On the other hand, U.S. flags don't particularly stand out to me, so I'm not as likely to notice them. I would say a lot more Canadian flags are flying than some Canadians apparently notice while American flags stand out disproportionately to these people.

I do, however, find it very interesting that some seem to take pride in the idea that not many Canadians fly Canada's flag, and all I can to is laugh, because that's just the opposite side of the coin of taking pride in flying the flag, which these people seem to find some kind of fault with.

As a side note, if I ever get to the point where I care whether or not people from another nation fly their flag or pledge allegiance to their country, I'll question the state of my mental health. :P

I've seen a couple of houses with Canadian flags around my town, including my own.

possible but I'm skeptical of smallc's "every third home"...I live in the heart of redneck land I've yet to see even one...though I think the american down the street flies our flag when he puts up his stars and stripes...

possible but I'm skeptical of smallc's "every third home"...I live in the heart of redneck land I've yet to see even one...though I think the american down the street flies our flag when he puts up his stars and stripes...

Well then you can't have your eyes open. Outside of urban areas, the flag is everywhere.