Individual Liberty

August1991

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK....prove me wrong. It's your time....have fun.

I believe it was Morris Dancer who said "proof lies with the positive claimant", i.e. YOU.

I have no opinion on which Communist government (the US or Canada) pays it's people better for forcing them off their land, only an opinion that they both do it.

Go back and research property ownership in the Soviet Union.

Stalin says that I shouldn't.

I am not trying to "prove" anything. However, you will do well with Mr. Dancer as your master and mentor. When you can take the pebble from his hand....

You are making a statement though, so if you're not willing to back it up then it's a (maple) leaf in the wind.

And no thanks, I will not risk touching Morris' hand... yuck...

You are making a statement though, so if you're not willing to back it up then it's a (maple) leaf in the wind.

As is much of what gets posted here by members. Do you really think that any of this chatter is proven to the now famous PM Chretien standard?

And no thanks, I will not risk touching Morris' hand... yuck...

You made the assertion without any prompting from me.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Generally, if someone is challenged on something though - they are expected to either back it up or admit they don't know.

Hardly...there is no such obligation. Methinks you take this forum (and others) a bit too seriously. Shall I "challenge" all such ramblings and declare "victory" when not met by a strong, multi-link defense?

This is anonymous discourse, not academic intercourse.

Hardly...there is no such obligation. Methinks you take this forum (and others) a bit too seriously. Shall I "challenge" all such ramblings and declare "victory" when not met by a strong, multi-link defense?

Hardly...there is no such obligation.

Its not a matter of obligation its a matter of credibility. When someone zealously and confidently asserts a fact, and then balks when asked to provide some sort of support for that claim they just lose credibility.

In your case you take pride in having no credibility though, so Im not quite sure why Hardner would pursue this angle with you at all.

Seems sorta like asking a wheelbarrow to make you a sandwich. :unsure:

Thats true, but I see people at least take a shot at validating claims theyve made all the time. Just because its anonymous doesnt mean you can have a little bit of pride in yourself.

Edited by dre

Why is it "true"? I offered up no supporting links or evidence.

Your statement was objectively true...

Hardly...there is no such obligation.

...was objectively true. Theres nothing in the TOU for this site that would prevent someone from making a bogus claim, and then refusing to provide support for it when challenged.

Not sure why you need to ask that question... I quoted the part of your post I was referencing.

Yep...happens all the time...and may the best team of lawyers win. Courts have adjudicated in favor of cities because the public good (e.g. redevelopment) outweighs the private property interest. As long as fair market compensation is paid, all is well. Try that in Canada.

It is quite obvious you are not familiar with the law in Canada as it relates to property rights.

Edited by pinko

It is quite obvious you are not familiar with the law in Canada as it relates to property rights.

Oh.....you mean like the fact such takings are called expropriation, not eminent domain? Shall I invest the time to become an expert on "the law in Canada" even as other members stumble on the proceedings and law in America?

Is it worth anything though ? I would like to know facts, so I do challenge ramblings - for the record if for nothing else.

I don't need to declare victory, I don't think. Rather, I look for all posters, including myself, to prove their seriousness about the discussion by conceding points when necessary.

Is it worth anything though ? I would like to know facts, so I do challenge ramblings - for the record if for nothing else.

OK...but that's just more of the same. This is the corner cafe or pub, not Parliament.

I don't need to declare victory, I don't think. Rather, I look for all posters, including myself, to prove their seriousness about the discussion by conceding points when necessary.

Ah...so you do project your own values and priorities as an expectation of others. As I stated, there is no such obligation expressed or implied. Little can be "proven" here.

Oh.....you mean like the fact such takings are called expropriation, not eminent domain? Shall I invest the time to become an expert on "the law in Canada" even as other members stumble on the proceedings and law in America?

You should certainly be better informed about Canadian law before you make unsubstantiated claims about it.

OK...but that's just more of the same. This is the corner cafe or pub, not Parliament.

Ah...so you do project your own values and priorities as an expectation of others. As I stated, there is no such obligation expressed or implied. Little can be "proven" here.

My values align with the values of MLW somewhat: in a pub if somebody says something, I may ask them about it. If they say nothing, or walk away then I will be surprised, and most people listening would likely wonder what was wrong with them.

My values align with the values of MLW somewhat: in a pub if somebody says something, I may ask them about it. If they say nothing, or walk away then I will be surprised, and most people listening would likely wonder what was wrong with them.

So you mean like...when somebody in the pub says, "America sucks!"? You can ask if you want, but no response is owed. I do not typically badger members for such responses. All of this chatter is voluntary.

The lion's share, as you know, incurred by poor, innocent peasants caught between the two Giant Gangsters fighting it out.

Unlike the relatively trivial incident of 2 - 4 million Vietnamese.

"Two Giant Gangsters"? You must mean Brezhnev and Ho Chi Minh. Ho Chi Minh chose to get involved. He and Brezhnev killed the innocent peasants. OTOH, innocent peasants in Thailand, even Burma and Sri Lanka still enjoy life.

"Two Giant Gangsters"? Lyndon Johnson was no "gangster". Nor was Richard Nixon. Unlike gangsters, both Nixon and Johnson gave up power voluntarily, and retired in civilized manner. Brezhnev and Ho Chi Minh, typical of tyrants, lost power only in death.

As Carter said, "The destruction was mutual."
Carter, another so-called "gangster leader".

Anyone who thinks the US is the "strong gang" on the block should think of Carter, or Obama. Obama and Carter are weaklings.

----

America's strength is not in its leaders; it is in its republican institutions. And these institutions are based on individual liberty.

I doubt you will become an expert in Canadian law or for that matter American law. I challenge you to identify a state that doesn't have the capacity to seize property from it's citizenery regardless of the label attached to it.

Edited by pinko

I like a comfortable environment wherever I go. If it isn't comfortable I may sometimes try to make it more comfortable. This is my way of making this environment more comfortable, and as I appear to be interpreting the rules correctly I will stop saying anything but will simply report conduct which goes against the rules.

crybabbies and tattletales...tsk tsk.