The Wonderwall Gun

Not even close to my point.

The points have have made in this thread

1) This thing is not going to be a game changer not with the already huge technological superiority we have over the Taliban.

2) These things are expensive and as such aren't going to be put in the field in huge number.

3) There is a risk, like with all infantry weapons, of it being captured by the Taliban and them capturing this grenade launcher is more worrisome and costly then them capturing an M16.

Never once have I made the point that we shouldn't use them at all.

Don't know whether it will be a game changer or not, just trying to get my head around the logic that we shouldn't have better weapons than our enemies because they might take them away from us.

Guest TrueMetis

Don't know whether it will be a game changer or not, just trying to get my head around the logic that we shouldn't have better weapons than our enemies because they might take them away from us.

Again that's not the point I or anyone in this thread has made.

Damn, too bad we got rid of all those Enfields.

Hey now, the Enfield was one of the best rifles ever built.

Now, back to this new toy, very impresive. However there is another even more impressive one. I forget the weapon designation but it was on Future Weapons. Essentially a lightweight .50 machine gun that could be converted to an automatic grenade launcher in about a minute. It too had laser range finding with programmed detonation. Plus of course the huge advantage of that .50 cal wall chopper.

If thats not enough they also have a segment on a mobile artillery piece, I believe its called the Longbow or some such thing. This weapon eclipses all other mobile arty pieces. It is astounding the mobility, range, accuracy, capabilities and ease of set up and tear down that this weapon displays. Hold on, its not the Longbow, I just remembered its called the Archer.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Dude our forces in Afghanistan have lost thousands of guns, don't bet on them not being able to get ammo. There are 2 other weapons I know of that used a 25mm grenade see if you can figure out which ones.

And kudos to you if they are 25 x 40....

But I bet not...

I can see hundreds of guns going missing, considering how many hundreds of millions of dollars can't be accounted for from the Iraq invasion and the now long winded Afghanistan war.

Each soldier is personaly responsible for his weapon. I can't remember if it is a court martial or a simple reprimend with a fine, but in either case, you don't simply "lose" your weapon. The only scenarios I can imagine where there would be no charges would be a transport sinking...otherwise your weapon is glued to you...you sleep, eat, shit and pray with it....

Each soldier is personaly responsible for his weapon.

This is correct. In 20 years of service and six deployments I can't recall one instance of someone losing their weapon. Nor can I recall hearing about the same. Yes it can be a pain but when deployed your weapon goes everywhere with you at all times. Even when taking a dump. In Somalia I slept with my weapon suspended over my head by velcro straps, my 9 mil was under my pillow, and this was in the relative security of our camp.

Soldiers don't just lose weapons.

Anyone that wants to see a picture of it I have here on the link. This invention is like the US nuke bomb, when they wanted to end WW2 with Japan. Now, they have a weapon that the enemy can't hide from. Just like the Nuke bomb, this tech. will get out and other countries will have it. After all, the US is the largest military weapon supply nation.... big money.

http://beta.ca.news.yahoo.com/us-deploys-game-changer-weapon-afghanistan.html

Each soldier is personaly responsible for his weapon. I can't remember if it is a court martial or a simple reprimend with a fine, but in either case, you don't simply "lose" your weapon. The only scenarios I can imagine where there would be no charges would be a transport sinking...otherwise your weapon is glued to you...you sleep, eat, shit and pray with it....

The soldiers are not the ones putting the guns into the enemy's hands. The manufacturer of the gun and the sales team will. :D

The soldiers are not the ones putting the guns into the enemy's hands. The manufacturer of the gun and the sales team will. :D

You've never bought or sold protected technology, have you?

If you get caught selling protected stuff like munitions, computer chips or whatever not only will you be charged, fined and often jailed but you will never, ever be able to sell to the government again!

With your major customer gone, you'd have a hard time staying in business selling to those few black marketeers who can smuggle a much lower volume of orders out of the country.

I had personal experience when computer chips were new stuff, fending off suspicious orders from Montreal brokers with cash in hand. I also saw what happened to other companies in the business who got caught!

You're right that it does happen but it's nowhere near as easy as you imply and the cost and likelihood of being caught are far greater than you might think. To trade a huge customer like the American military for a couple of small illegal smuggling operations is hardly sensible business.

You've never bought or sold protected technology, have you?

No. Some guys in the company recently have. They are no longer with us. And it is not something that I support.

If you get caught selling protected stuff like munitions, computer chips or whatever not only will you be charged, fined and often jailed but you will never, ever be able to sell to the government again!

What is going to blow your mind is who is doing the selling. The government can sell to other countries, then were does it go from there? Can easily fall into enemy hands.

It's how the US lost hundreds of millions of dollars that they can't account for in Iraq and Afghanistan. How does that happen you ask? Good question.

With your major customer gone, you'd have a hard time staying in business selling to those few black marketeers who can smuggle a much lower volume of orders out of the country.

The black market is where you are going to make the most money.

I had personal experience when computer chips were new stuff, fending off suspicious orders from Montreal brokers with cash in hand. I also saw what happened to other companies in the business who got caught!
You're right that it does happen but it's nowhere near as easy as you imply and the cost and likelihood of being caught are far greater than you might think. To trade a huge customer like the American military for a couple of small illegal smuggling operations is hardly sensible business.

Actually it turns out to be good business. Like BC says, ask Saddam , ding dong dead.

It's easier and more likely that you know. All the kit that was left in Iraq. Mind you the stuff was torched so it could not be used, but why not bring the stuff back home and reuse it instead of leaving it to burn in a middle east dessert. Not a very wise use of equipment and money and resources.

It's how the US lost hundreds of millions of dollars that they can't account for in Iraq and Afghanistan. How does that happen you ask? Good question.

Really, that's how they lost the hundreds of millions? By selling cash?

How does that happen?

....It's easier and more likely that you know. All the kit that was left in Iraq. Mind you the stuff was torched so it could not be used, but why not bring the stuff back home and reuse it instead of leaving it to burn in a middle east dessert. Not a very wise use of equipment and money and resources.

For the same reason Canada did not bring back those Iltis jeeps in Afghanistan...not worth it. Scrap in place.