Katy Perry and Elmo

Melanie_

Sesame Street is starting it 41st season tomorrow, and they shot some new segments to start the season off. One of them featured Elmo and Katy Perry singing her song “Hot and Cold”, but the Sesame Street execs have pulled it from the show after too many complaints from people who saw it on YouTube. The complaints were mostly about the suitability of her clothes for Sesame Street – do little kids really need to see quite that much of her? Her dress is pretty scanty, and she is playing the role of a child, but in a sexualized way. Anyway, I wondered what people here might think... could this be the beginning of Sexame Street?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how regressive and prude our culture is becoming. I miss the 1970s and 80s. Maybe this is the "incrementalism" the islamophobes always refer to, and soon they'll be demanding burkas.

But her dress is nothing more provocative than you would see at the Oscars, and less so than the average figure skater. She wasn't behaving sexually, and it is clearly something that would go right over little kids' heads.

But I think, more than the clothes, people were offended she brought along her large boobs to a kids' show.

I didn't think it was too bad. It's borderline at best. But I can understand why some parents might not want or expect that when having their children watch Sesame Street. That's suppose to be the one channel you shouldn't have to worry about. It's not about being so-called prudish. It's just basic common sense.

Bubber, I think the point is that it does go over little kids heads, at least on a conscious level. They are not sophisticated enough to be able to judge whether it is appropriate or not... they just take in what they see, and start building their understanding of the world around that. I'm just curious about who Sesame Street really wanted to pull in with this video - is it the average three year old, or the dad who just might be watching as well? Because if the video was aimed at three year olds, it could have been done with more appropriate clothes.

Bubber, I think the point is that it does go over little kids heads, at least on a conscious level. They are not sophisticated enough to be able to judge whether it is appropriate or not... they just take in what they see, and start building their understanding of the world around that.

What's inappropriate about shoulders? I just don't get this burka mentality. In my day, if your nipples and your pubes were covered, you were good to go.

And that's still the case at Grand Beach where I spend my summers. Children frolic gaily among the scantily clad and everybody's healthier for it.

But I don't care for all the tattoos.

Elmo seemed to enjoy her, so who are we to say?

I think people are making mountains out of...well...mountains! :P

I watched the video and didn't see a damn thing wrong with it! Lord knows Katy's original video for her song was plastered all over the airwaves and likely seen a zillion times by kids already.

I saw a grownup woman acting like a kid, playing tag with Elmo. True to form, the little red bastard was dodging her and running all over the place! This is something real kids do with adults. I would think that they would pick up on that before they would start dreaming about her cleavage!

I think some people are just a bit repressed. They are entitled to be, but I am getting really sick of not being allowed to do or view something because someone ELSE has a problem!

Lord knows Katy's original video for her song was plastered all over the airwaves and likely seen a zillion times by kids already.

That maybe true, but it doesn't mean that Sesame Street has to mirror MTV. Sometimes parent's like to know that at least there's one channel they don't necessarily have to worry about. Is that too much to ask? Do we have to sexualize every single channel on tv? I don't think so.

Nah, the only burka mentality is put forth by Muslims. In which you're always supportive of. :rolleyes:

I'm not "supportive of" any religion because I think they're all repressive and irrational. I do think people should be allowed to practice religion though, much as I think they're all stupid.

Edited by BubberMiley

That maybe true, but it doesn't mean that Sesame Street has to mirror MTV. Sometimes parent's like to know that at least there's one channel they don't necessarily have to worry about. Is that too much to ask? Do we have to sexualize every single channel on tv? I don't think so.

I think cleavage has become so ordinary, such a regular part of dress, that it didn't occur to producers they were being risque. In fact, I don't think they were being risque. To kids, the lady on tv was showing cleavage just like Mommy does, as does the daycare worker, and the teller at the bank.

I don't believe for a minute that the producers of Sesame Street didn't notice the clothes she was wearing. They script everything to a T, so the outfit was deliberately chosen.

I understand the argument that children are exposed to cleavage everywhere they go, but these are generally environments designed for adults. Sesame Street is designed for the preschool child, and this segment was meant to show Elmo playing with a friend. Why not dress her in clothes appropriate for the scene?

My argument isn't so much that cleavage is a bad thing, I just don't see the reason for including it so prominantly in a video for children.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Melanie_

I understand the argument that children are exposed to cleavage everywhere they go, but these are generally environments designed for adults. Sesame Street is designed for the preschool child, and this segment was meant to show Elmo playing with a friend. Why not dress her in clothes appropriate for the scene?

But that's what Katy Perry likes to wear.

And since I've never seen a child at the beach crying about all the bare skin, I think it's something that really only affects very uptight adults.

I don't believe for a minute that the producers of Sesame Street didn't notice the clothes she was wearing. They script everything to a T, so the outfit was deliberately chosen.

My argument isn't so much that cleavage is a bad thing, I just don't see the reason for including it so prominantly in a video for children.

Edited for spelling.

Well, for a start, her clothing is part of why she looks like Katy Perry! It wouldn't be her if she came on dressed as Joni Mitchell, 1966.

Also, I refuse to believe that kids the age of the average Sesame Street viewer are titillated by cleavage!

I really think this was all an over-reaction by the Charles McVety/Priscilla Goodbody set. As I said, I'm getting really tired of the prudish minority running the show. I would have had no problem letting my daughters watch the video when they were that young.

At least Katy can actually craft her own songs! I've even heard her play a guitar instead of faking it with an actual player behind a curtain! It's bad enough our kids are exposed to the pop crap manufactured by the record labels anyway. Far better Katy Perry or Pink than Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana! Thank God my children had brains strong enough to resist that insidious intellectual pablum!

Edited by Wild Bill

Edited for spelling.

most of those kiddies weren't to long off the boob so I doubt they see them as sexual as much as lunch... sexuality is all in the heads of adults not 3 yr olds...

...My argument isn't so much that cleavage is a bad thing, I just don't see the reason for including it so prominantly in a video for children.

That's fine since we keep a track of Katy Perry's breasts irrespective of Elmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0K4s18G-Dw&feature=related

Well, for a start, her clothing is part of why she looks like Katy Perry! It wouldn't be her if she came on dressed as Joni Mitchell, 1966.

Also, I refuse to believe that kids the age of the average Sesame Street viewer are titillated by cleavage!

I really think this was all an over-reaction by the Charles McVety/Priscilla Goodbody set. As I said, I'm getting really tired of the prudish minority running the show. I would have had no problem letting my daughters watch the video when they were that young.

At least Katy can actually craft her own songs! I've even heard her play a guitar instead of faking it with an actual player behind a curtain! It's bad enough our kids are exposed to the pop crap manufactured by the record labels anyway. Far better Katy Perry or Pink than Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana! Thank God my children had brains strong enough to resist that insidious intellectual pablum!

Agreed.

A non-issue turned into one, since for some reason we expect our media to be more puritanical than life itself...a strange formulation.

The amount of cleavage she shows is no more than what a toddler sees every time he or she goes out on some errands with Mommy.

And like I said, Mommy herself is often showing this much skin.

Tits aren't going to warp young minds.

• 1 year later...

what a bummer of a man you are

anyone who had a problem with this should be ashamed

I have a problem with it because it's a television show that is meant to educate children. When I say that society only appreciates women for their appearances, this is the kind of stuff that kids are exposed to, both male and female, that shapes the way they relate to women as they grow up.

I don't think it was intentional social engineering on the part of Sesame Street. Katy Perry is a huge pop star, so I think they were just capitalizing on that. The sexualization and commodification of women here should not be ignored, though. Once it was brought to their attention, they rightfully pulled it.

She could have been on the show in less sexualized attire and not singing a song that constructs gender in the way "Hot and Cold" does. For instance, the opening stanza says, "You change your mind / like a girl changes clothes / yeah, you PMS / like a bitch, I would know." Obviously they would change the lyrics for Sesame Street; however, the entire song refers to a couple that is constantly fighting and getting back together. It's the kind of thinking you see in Twilight that suggests it's worth staying in an abusive relationship.

I have a problem with it because it's a television show that is meant to educate children. When I say that society only appreciates women for their appearances, this is the kind of stuff that kids are exposed to, both male and female, that shapes the way they relate to women as they grow up.

I don't think it was intentional social engineering on the part of Sesame Street. Katy Perry is a huge pop star, so I think they were just capitalizing on that. The sexualization and commodification of women here should not be ignored, though. Once it was brought to their attention, they rightfully pulled it.

She could have been on the show in less sexualized attire and not singing a song that constructs gender in the way "Hot and Cold" does. For instance, the opening stanza says, "You change your mind / like a girl changes clothes / yeah, you PMS / like a bitch, I would know." Obviously they would change the lyrics for Sesame Street; however, the entire song refers to a couple that is constantly fighting and getting back together. It's the kind of thinking you see in Twilight that suggests it's worth staying in an abusive relationship.

Dude, you have issues