Charlton Heston wants long-gun registry scrapped...

Radsickle

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the "Fox News North" thread and the "Quebec's own Tea Party" thread, I was wondering when the next Big American Bogeyman would be brought forth by Canada's left. And there it is. (added points for the "right wing Republican wedge-politics" blast.)

Here it is: large numbers of rural Canadians-- including many who vote NDP-- do not support the long gun registry. That's something that urbanite snobs apparently just can't comprehend.

-k

After the "Fox News North" thread and the "Quebec's own Tea Party" thread, I was wondering when the next Big American Bogeyman would be brought forth by Canada's left. And there it is. (added points for the "right wing Republican wedge-politics" blast.)

Here it is: large numbers of rural Canadians-- including many who vote NDP-- do not support the long gun registry. That's something that urbanite snobs apparently just can't comprehend.

that's rich... considering the Harper Conservatives have driven the deepest wedge with this issue. But I'm shocked - truly... here I thought Harper Conservatives were against the gun registry as a matter of divisive politics... I didn't realize they were simply taking direction from the NRA.

but, ya ya... all those urbanite snobs just don't get why Floyd & Ernie have no problem registering their pick-me-ups, yet vehemently resist the idea of having to register their squirrel shooters.

that's rich... considering the Harper Conservatives have driven the deepest wedge with this issue. But I'm shocked - truly... here I thought Harper Conservatives were against the gun registry as a matter of divisive politics... I didn't realize they were simply taking direction from the NRA.

but, ya ya... all those urbanite snobs just don't get why Floyd & Ernie have no problem registering their pick-me-ups, yet vehemently resist the idea of having to register their squirrel shooters.

Vile, condescending, rubbish.

Vile, condescending, rubbish.

whaaa! You mean that's not the appropriate response to Ms. kimmy's "urbanite snobs" slam... you mean that's not the response Ms. kimmy meant to evoke? :lol:

apparently... you have no qualms or reservations with the use of Ms. kimmy's endearing "urbanite slobs" label - hey?

The only thing missing is a reference to Bush.

"I got elected in 1999 and I became aware soon after of the NRA's involvement in the debate — not in a huge way, but in a significant way," he said.

Canadians need to know the role the NRA has played in the gun registry debate, Bryant said.

"For a lot of people in Canada, if they knew that the NRA was part of the effort to get rid of the gun registry, they would think more about their views," he said.

"And they would think, 'well, wait a minute, I thought this was about, you know, wasting taxpayer dollars. The NRA's involved? Really? That makes me very uncomfortable … '"

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/09/13/canada-nra-gun-registry.html

This is just another attempt at telling Canadians what makes them feel "uncomfortable".

The message cannot be clearer. Harper...guns...bad...scary...soldiers in our streets...with guns...

Then, to scare Canadians even more, a Liberal election campaign televised ad with a gun pointed directly at Canadians...bang!

Raising the NRA is a typical Liberal and leftist ploy to position the Conservatives and their supporters as scary, dangerous types that all Canadians must fear.

Those urbanites, they know what is good for Canadians, especially rural hicks.

Harper Conservatives and the NRA: two peas in a pod

...examples of the NRA’s infusion in the gun control debate in Canada. They include:

* In 2009, former Chief of Staff to Maxime Bernier, Bob Valcov was named as executive director of the Canadian branch of the international gun lobby group, Safari Club International, a group with strong ties to the NRA. Another former Conservative staffer, Brant Scott, who was Execuative Assistant to Conservative MP Garry Breitkreuz, became Director of Communications to the Canadian Sports Shooting Association which also has strong links to the NRA.

* Media reports earlier this year reported that the NRA is helping Canadian groups like the Canadian Shooting Sports Association, Canadian Firearms Institute and the Canadian Unlicensed Firearms Owners Association to fight the registry by raising money and coaching them on how to lobby politicians.

* In 2006, Conservative MP Garry Breitkreuz co-hosted with the Canadian Shooting Sports Association, a forum featuring then-NRA president Sandra Froman, as keynote speaker at the CSSA annual meeting in Toronto.

* In 2006, then-Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day appointed the Minister's Firearms Advisory Committee which was composed exclusively of opponents of the gun registry, including many with direct ties to the National Rifle Association, including Professor Gary Mauser whose research had been directly funded by the NRA.

* Former Canadian Alliance MP Jim Pankiw appeared in an NRA video in 2001 claiming that the gun registry turned law-abiding Canadian citizens into “instant criminals.”

* Former Conservative MP Art Hanger appeared in an NRA infomercial in 2000 claiming that the Canadian government “wants every firearm seized in this country.” Ontario Progressive Conservative MPP Jerry Ouellette also appeared in the video claiming that the government was intent on confiscating guns saying, “It's coming. We've got the test waters here in Canada to prove it and you're next on the list.” He claimed his comments had been pre-vetted by then-Premier Mike Harris’ office.

* In 1995, then-NRA executive director, Tanya Metaksa, wrote to Prime Minister Jean Chrétien threatening a tourism boycott of Canada if the long gun registry Bill passed: “An overwhelming negative reaction can be anticipated and it could seriously erode revenue into Canada generated by visiting U.S. sportsmen and women.”

Still no evidence that there is any gov't involvement and Breitkreuz did not organize the forum at which the head of the NRA spoke, he was an invited guest.

Trotting out the spectre of the NRA is a typical Liberal ploy to detract from the CPC position, notwithstanding that there is no government involvement, nothing but politics of demonization, fear and innuendo.

Next think we know that old Liberal election TV ad with a gun pointed directly at us ...bang…. will be back <snort >