Complain about the HST here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mike Harris government in Ontario wanted to impliment the Harmonized Sales Tax.

Stop making things up. Stop lying. Start blaming the current Ontario government actually responsible for it. Not a Premier from 10 years ago, who didn't want to do it, didn't do it, and who's agenda was cutting taxes, not raising them. Your BS doesn't fly here.

Stop making things up. Stop lying. Start blaming the current Ontario government actually responsible for it. Not a Premier from 10 years ago, who didn't want to do it, didn't do it, and who's agenda was cutting taxes, not raising them. Your BS doesn't fly here.

And your cluelessness continues to amuse all of us... :lol:

You do realize that the HST is a TAX SHIFT off the corporate sector and onto INDIVIDUAL TAX PAYERS??

Corporate slurping...Right up the Tories ally...

You should be applauding McGuinty,Shadster... :o

Still not backing up any of your lies huh. Okay. :)

Please prove me wrong that Flaharty did'nt advocate for a Harmonized Sales Tax in Ontario when he was Finance Minister in the Mike Harris government...

It should be easy for you...

I'll eagerly await the truth....

Please prove me wrong that Flaharty did'nt advocate for a Harmonized Sales Tax in Ontario when he was Finance Minister in the Mike Harris government...

It should be easy for you...

I'll eagerly await the truth....

Ah Jack, debate doesn't work like that! YOU made the claim about Flaherty so it falls to YOU to back up the claim! White's Rules of Order and all that.

You can't just state anything you want and demand that the OTHER guy prove you wrong! Even if it wasn't ridiculously unfair, if you are right you would be forcing him to spend eternity in a futile effort, whereas you should have been able to support your own point quite quickly.

Geez Louise....

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/05/31/14204621.html

I like the part where Duncan says the thing is supported by Flaherty,Cheryl Gallant,John Baird,and,Tony Clement!!!And that Hudak supported a single sales tax!!!

All former Harris hacks...

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2277967

"Jim Flaharty has long been a passionate advocate for a blended sales tax,saying it will inprove Onatrio's competitiveness."

"Jim Flaharty has long been a passionate advocate for a blended sales tax,saying it will inprove Onatrio's competitiveness."

Now I see where the confusion lies. Here's your original statement:

"Always rememebr..

The Harrisites were the first to throw this one out there...And they would have if they had the chance.It was one of Slasher Jimmy's pet projects..."

First you said Harrisites. Some posts later you focus on Flaherty. You do come right out and say that the 'Harrisites' would have implemented the HST "if they had the chance".

Obviously, Harris could have done this but didn't! He had the two largest majorities in Ontario's history so no one could have stopped him. You are probably right that Flaherty and perhaps some other ministers in his cabinet liked the HST but the fact remains that Harris did NOT want to or he could easily have done so!

The confusion springs from your statements wobbling from blaming Harris to just Flaherty to the entire caucus.

Being a bit more specific might leave you fewer outs but it would make it easier to discuss the same point.

So what the hell is the matter with you people in Ontario anyway? Why isn't there an uprising against the HST to match the one in B.C.? I realize you've still got to legislate yourselve's the means to get uppity in a legal binding way but you'd think this should be an easy issue on which to start heading down that path.

C'mon lets get with the program. Time to start pulling your weight.

I can't see how this is going to help business sector when people are again flooding to the US to shop. The borders in BC and Ontario were bumper to bumper and they are also getting their gas while over there. What were the provincial and federal govts thinking? People will either not buy in Canada or they will buy just what they need and businesses will feel the hurt, unless they don't charge the extra tax to their customers.

Woah, woah, it isn't that big of a change. Most of the things that people will be buying in the US (other than gas...and in BC, gas is exempt) were already subject to GST and PST....there's really no change for consumer items like you're talking about.

Woah, woah, it isn't that big of a change. Most of the things that people will be buying in the US (other than gas...and in BC, gas is exempt) were already subject to GST and PST....there's really no change for consumer items like you're talking about.

Well maybe you should tell them if that's true, I don't shop across the border.

People like to shop across the border...if only they realized that it keeps their prices artificially inflated and their taxes higher than they have to be.

There's one item they are taxing and I can't understand why....vitamins??

Cannot understand? LOL

Why does this statement not surprise me.

How canadian you are.

Because they can and therefore will.

Tax me I am a canucklehead and a willing victim of the political process.

Borg

The BC government has produced a document (PDF) indicating the changes between GST/PST and the new HST.

As one can see, many of the items one would buy in Washington State would have been taxed at 5% GST and 7% PST prior to July 1 and 12% HST after July 1.

Last time I checked 12% - 12% = 0 Change.

One should note that while BC does not charge the BC portion of HST on motor fuels, we did see a small increase of just over 1 cent per litre on gas on July 1 from our "carbon tax" regime (and this has been happening for a few years now).

BC is more expensive than Washington state for many reasons including higher liquor/tobacco taxes ("sin" taxes), a dairy cartel, and higher gas taxes (municipal gas taxes, BC carbon tax, BC/Fed gas tax, and Federal HST - there is no BC HST charged on motor fuels because of the carbon tax being charged).

Edited by msj

This LETTER to our local newspaper sums up the feelings of many British Columbians better than anything else I have read so far, including I am sure a majority of the 705,000 who signed the anti HST petition. Bottom line, regardless of how they may feel about the tax itself, this government has trashed every bit of credibility it may have had before this stunt. People are just tuning them out regardless of any argument they may come up with.

This LETTER to our local newspaper sums up the feelings of many British Columbians better than anything else I have read so far, including I am sure a majority of the 705,000 who signed the anti HST petition. Bottom line, regardless of how they may feel about the tax itself, this government has trashed every bit of credibility it may have had before this stunt. People are just tuning them out regardless of any argument they may come up with.

Like many other British Columbians, I believe that your Liberal party was seriously considering adapting the HST before last year’s provincial election, but decided to sidestep the issue and mislead the electorate during the campaign for fear of losing the election.

The fact the lie about the HST is what's sticking in the craw of most people in B.C is the best news I've heard in a long time. I have to say I've been losing faith in my fellow citizen's for some time now exactly because of how easily they seem to keep falling for this sort of crap.

I support consumption taxes myself and I recall the expert advice Harper was given about the folly of his GST cuts. As I recall experts said we should tax the things we'd like to see less of, like consumption, and cut taxes on the things we'd like to see more of, like income.

It's definitely the way the BC Liberals lied about the HST that's got my ginch in a knot and not so much the HST itself. That said I still can't support this one. If they'd offered cuts to our income taxes I'd be more supportive. If they increased consumption taxes and eliminated income tax altogether I'd be be even happier.

I'm still very concerned about the number of people who seem to think crackin' down and gettin' tough on crime as Harper has proposed to is a good idea. Like the GST cut it seems to me I've read more expert advice that says it will be a boondoggle that will make things worse but goddamn it sure is an easy sell to the electorate. I sure hope people remember this and the way they were lead down the garden path to the HST when considering the crime agenda Harper is selling. It has nothing to do what's best for us but what's best for him which is getting elected.

Edited by eyeball

The fact the lie about the HST is what's sticking in the craw of most people in B.C is the best news I've heard in a long time.
I find this reaction bizarre. Politicians "consider" a lot of things. Many get discarded. Some get resurrected when circumstances change. There is no evidence that the Liberals planned to introduce it all along but deliberately kept it quiet. The more likely scenario was it was discarded as unviable before the election but the combination of money from Ottawa, a large deficit and a majority convinced them to change their mind.

Are you arguing that politicians can never change their mind when circumstances change?

I find this reaction bizarre. Politicians "consider" a lot of things. Many get discarded. Some get resurrected when circumstances change. There is no evidence that the Liberals planned to introduce it all along but deliberately kept it quiet. The more likely scenario was it was discarded as unviable before the election but the combination of money from Ottawa, a large deficit and a majority convinced them to change their mind.

Are you arguing that politicians can never change their mind when circumstances change?

Bull, they started negotiations with the feds three days after the election. They had an epiphany and managed to arrange and start meetings with the feds all within three days. Ya right, Joseph Goebbels would have been proud of them for trying to sell that one. Too bad no one else is buying it. The more they try and sell this lie, the more pissed people are getting. It really is insulting. In over forty years I've never voted other than Socred or Liberal in a BC election but I'd spoil my ballot before I'd vote for these jerks the next time. They need a damn good spanking even if it means an NDP government, for no other reason than to remind every politician that this kind of crap is not acceptable. Nothing good ever comes from rewarding bad behavior. I'm sure not going to reward it with my vote.

Not impressed with my MP either. He says he voted for it because the Provincial government asked for it. Apparently he represents the Provincial government, not his constituents.

Edited by Wilber