WOW Toronto PD going to have legal problem's

See all the reports

Why The HELL wear thay so stupid????.

99.99% of all the cases that get to Court will be dismissed lake of evidence or charter violation!!!

Don't get me started on civil liability clams That well be Hell for the general counsel of TO

See all the reports

99.99% of all the cases that get to Court will be dismissed lake of evidence or charter violation!!!

Don't get me started on civil liability clams That well be Hell for the general counsel of TO

They were granted special powers by the McGuinty government for the summit. Civil liability claims will be negligible and the courts will see that they were reasonably acting to prevent and contain what was essentially a small riot.

Don't get me started on civil liability clams...

Oh, please can I get you started ? Civil liability claims will go to a judge, not a jury I believe. And what claims will people be making ? There were barely any injuries recorded. I don't see people gambling lawyer money on finding a judge sympathetic to their distress claims, or what have you.

Why were they so stupid ?

Let's see - 3 days, tens of thousands of acts of protest - nobody killed, nobody seriously injured... and yet nobody happy.

It's already starting to fade into memory... at least I hope so....

They were granted special powers by the McGuinty government for the summit. Civil liability claims will be negligible and the courts will see that they were reasonably acting to prevent and contain what was essentially a small riot.

They had NO special powers PD made us think that!!.

Oh, please can I get you started ? Civil liability claims will go to a judge, not a jury I believe. And what claims will people be making ? There were barely any injuries recorded. I don't see people gambling lawyer money on finding a judge sympathetic to their distress claims, or what have you.

Why were they so stupid ?

Let's see - 3 days, tens of thousands of acts of protest - nobody killed, nobody seriously injured... and yet nobody happy.

It's already starting to fade into memory... at least I hope so....

its not!!!

See this!!

My link

"So you think you're a journalist. You won't be a journalist after we bring you to jail," the 29-year-old recounted an officer saying to her in her complaint. "You're going to be raped. We always like the pretty ones. We're going to wipe the grin off your face when we gang bang you. We know how the Montreal girls roll."

Miller alleged one of the arresting officers repeated the threat when she was at the detention centre. She was released about 12 hours later without any charges.

Lisa Walter, 41, an indie magazine writer for Our Times, said she was thrown to the ground and cuffed as she and another independent journalist covered the same group that was being arrested in downtown Toronto on Sunday afternoon, according to her complaint.

She said officers mocked her, saying her credentials were "fake," questioned whether she was a man and the sergeant who ordered her arrest called her a "f---ing dyke" and "a douche bag," her complaint states.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/29/g20-oiprd-reporters-complaint.html?ref=rss#ixzz0sSFC0BR6

Perhaps our cops act like this for the same reasons our troops do when they're in the heat of battle - it's a survival tactic based on a us vs them camaraderie thing. Us civilians shouldn't be expected to get it, just accept it patriotically. I mean who's side are we on anyway?

I think the next time they host a G 8/20 Summit they should print up a bunch of Support-our-Police sticker-ribbons like they have for the troops.

Edited by eyeball

Perhaps our cops act like this for the same reasons our troops do when they're in the heat of battle -

Typical of a quasi fascist to jump on the unfounded accusations to smear his opponents, lawful authority...well done Herr Bonghit

Perhaps our cops act like this for the same reasons our troops do when they're in the heat of battle - it's a survival tactic based on a us vs them camaraderie thing. Us civilians shouldn't be expected to get it, just accept it patriotically. I mean who's side are we on anyway?

I think the next time they host a G 8/20 Summit they should print up a bunch of Support-our-Police sticker-ribbons like they have for the troops.

The survival tactic is managed with good training!! not power trips!!

The survival tactic is managed with good training!! not power trips!!

True enough, I'm just saying that instilling a sense of camaraderie through a shared often contemptuous vernacular is also often part of that training.

Edited by eyeball

Perhaps someone could provide one shred of evidence that what this "journalist" claimed actually happened.

Where there undercover police within the group of protesters? It happened in Quebec and did it happen in Toronto? I found the following article and the police did hint tha tthey had ways of finding info. out within the protesters. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=19928

This kind of proof?

Steve Paikin of TVO witnessed Jesse Rosenfeld a freelance journalist being attacked by police.

"There are also questions being raised about the number of journalists who were arrested while covering the G20 protests. At least one journalist is reported to have been struck by police during his arrest.

Jesse Rosenfeld, a Canadian activist freelance journalist, was on assignment for The Guardian when he was arrested Saturday night.

Steve Paikin, host of the Agenda on TVO, witnessed the arrest and reported that Rosenfeld was punched in the stomach and then elbowed in the back when he was doubled over.

Two Reuters photographers were arrested Sunday night while covering a protest near Queen West and Spadina, despite wearing prominent media badges.

They were released without charges.

Two National Post photographers, Brett Gundlock and Colin O'Connor, were arrested Saturday while attempting to photograph police clashing with protesters.

They spent about 24 hours in custody and were both charged with obstruct peace officer and unlawful assembly.

A CTV producer was also arrested and released without charge on the weekend."

Edited by charter.rights

Journalists have a rights,but they have also responsibilities to not hinder the police from doing their duty. In the heat of a mob violence ,if you get to close you may get smucked ,WELL,that too is your right!.

Randall Denley is probably my favorite columnist, a very middle of the road, common sense, practical man. His take on the G20 was there were way too many riot cops with a war mentality and not nearly enough police.

From previous summits, the police were perfectly aware of the Black Bloc phenomenon: organized "anarchist" infiltrators, intending violence. While the robot phalanxes were necessary for back-up, the front of the operation should have consisted, from the outset, of identifying and detaining -- in advance of violence -- all those who by dress and behaviour were clearly bent on breaching the peace. By failing to do so -- by letting things happen before intervening -- they effectively granted permission for rioting to proceed.

How Not to Enforce Order

Randall Denley is probably my favorite columnist, a very middle of the road, common sense, practical man. His take on the G20 was there were way too many riot cops with a war mentality and not nearly enough police.

From previous summits, the police were perfectly aware of the Black Bloc phenomenon: organized "anarchist" infiltrators, intending violence. While the robot phalanxes were necessary for back-up, the front of the operation should have consisted, from the outset, of identifying and detaining -- in advance of violence -- all those who by dress and behaviour were clearly bent on breaching the peace. By failing to do so -- by letting things happen before intervening -- they effectively granted permission for rioting to proceed.

How Not to Enforce Order

Excellent column. Thanks for the link Argus (although it was actually written by David Warren, not Randall Denley).

I don't get how anyone who has read the stories that have been printed so far can exonerate the police. By all accounts, they failed to react on day 1, when the violence was actually occurring (some have even suggested that there were agents provocateur among the blac bloc). Then they completely overreacted the following day, with mass arrests of peaceful protestors and innocent bystanders, including journalists and tourists. At this point, I think there is a legitimate question as to whether the police action was motivated by security concerns or by politics. Based on what I've read, I'll bet many of those arrested and released will think twice about joining any peaceful protest in the future. I wonder if that consequence is entirely unintended.

If people in this country actually cared and if the media in this country actually functioned, there would be some further investigation as to exactly what happened. It would be nice to have even some basic information such as how many people were detained and released (suggesting the police have no real evidence of any wrong doing) vs the number that will actually be charged and prosecuted. The police ran roughshod over constitutionally guaranteed rights and there needs to be some accountability.

I suspect the only way there will be any public reckoning is if some of the individuals have the resources to pursue civil action. I hope that there is a class action suit brought against the police to bring them to account for their actions.

How Not to Enforce Order

The PD can NOT proactively arrest you you have to commit an offence Forest

Its unlawful detention which is NOT legal!!!