Judges.....two years for murder

At what point does the population step out and scream, "NO!" If we're not going to put up a fight about this, is all hope pretty much lost?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/804609--teen-killer-to-be-released

A 16-year-old convicted killer will be released at the end of next week after serving two years of his seven-year sentence for murdering another boy.

Before ordering the teen’s May 14 release, Justice Bruce Durno warned him on Tuesday that if he broke any conditions of his release, including not attending school full time or work or refusing counselling, he could be sent back into custody.

“I feel sorry for the Brampton community,” a disheartened Sunita Dharamdial said outside the courtroom after Durno's decision. “A killer is back in the community. . . . My son's killer is coming out.”

The teen pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last September in the deadly knife slaying of Sunita's son Ravi, 14, on Oct. 18, 2008.

The Grade 9 student at Sandalwood Heights Secondary School in Brampton was stabbed five times in his chest, the two fatal wounds piercing his heart.

The killer had confronted him in a ravine near his home on the way home from school.

The youth was given credit for time served, which meant he only needed to serve another eight months of the required two years in custody portion of his seven-year sentence, the maximum allowed for the crime under Canada's youth laws.

Crown prosecutor Andrea Esson urged Durno to keep him in custody for another year under a special section of the YCJA.

Edited by Handsome Rob

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, the YCJA certainly is working well, as this example serves to illustrate. It makes one wonder when we'll give our collective heads a shake and stop excusing and coddling little pieces of crap like this. He commits murder and with to for one credit actually serves eight months with elleven trips out of jail for things such as Christmas and birthday parties. Absolutely disgusting.

Well, come on apologists. Start posting and telling us about how the system is'nt broken and justice is being served effectively.

Well, come on apologists. Start posting and telling us about how the system is'nt broken and justice is being served effectively.

That's silly. I doubt even the staunchest Liberal would want to defend this sort of thing. It's completely absurd, and heartless towards the family of the dead kid.

You really got to wonder how these judges can sleep well at night. In retrospect, THEY ought to be put in jail!

It's one thing to give a young offender a young offender's jail term when the crime is minor...but at 15 or 16 when the crime is murder, rape etc...the punishment should be the same as an adult's.

Guest American Woman

From the article:

The teen pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last September in the deadly knife slaying of Sunita's son Ravi, 14, on Oct. 18, 2008.

If he pleaded guilty last September, where does the two years even come into play? It hasn't even been two years since the murder was committed; and he's already being released? What's changed from what he was then and where he's at now? Surely he hasn't become a different person in that short time span. Evidently whether or not he's a threat to society doesn't come into play at all when such decisions are made. It's unbelievable, really; I can't begin to understand it.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the officials who are handling his case are conservatives who know releasing him is guaranteed to galvanize the excitable classes.

I suspect there's more to this case than we're hearing. Perhaps the kid is related to a Conservative MP and as such he's getting preferential treatment. It's impossible to tell. All we can do is trust the government knows what it's doing.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the officials who are handling his case are conservatives who know releasing him is guaranteed to galvanize the excitable classes.

I suspect there's more to this case than we're hearing. Perhaps the kid is related to a Conservative MP and as such he's getting preferential treatment. It's impossible to tell. All we can do is trust the government knows what it's doing.

Did a new tinfoil shipment just arrive or something?

If he pleaded guilty last September, where does the two years even come into play? It hasn't even been two years since the murder was committed;

At the time, 2 for 1 credit for time served leading up to a conviction was still the norm.

Of course you would think that, but non-moonbats already know who made then laws that enable young offenders to escape justice.

The youth was given credit for time served, which meant he only needed to serve another eight months of the required two years in custody portion of his seven-year sentence, the maximum allowed for the crime under Canada's youth laws
The length of the custodial sentence and supervision order combined must not exceed two or three years, depending on the type of offence.[152] Offences other than for which an adult would receive life imprisonment are subject to a two-year maximum for the young offender. Offences for which an adult would receive life imprisonment, except murder, are subject to a three-year maximum for the young offender.[149]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_Criminal_Justice_Act

So..who was the government in 2003?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_Criminal_Justice_Act

So..who was the government in 2003?

I don't really care who the government was, both sides generate garbage like this.

The point is, this is something that the entire country should be angry about. Not just this one specific incident, but the whole trend. It's disgusting. It's really sad how little Canadians really care.

If I was the dead kid's parents, this boy wouldn't survive long. :blink:

The double crossing judicary just love that kind of reaction..one customer generates another customer to feed the parasites..YOU!

I can't help but believe that some judges sitting on the bench are a devide and conquer old school types...who love to destablize society and keep us all on edge..IT might be an old British thing..you know-- let the unwashed destroy the unwashed. In the end it seems that some unsavory judical types if born without privledge and money would also murder on occassion to amuze themselves.

No, it is obviously late in arriving. That poster would fit right in at rabble.ca/babble, most of them haven't seen tinfoil in years.

Hey pass the foil and lets use it for cooking a fish..personally I have spoken to a guy that appoints judges and he's a cruel son of a bitch...If it was not for being lucky enough to be born in the the right family..he would have been a gangster.

Guest American Woman

At the time, 2 for 1 credit for time served leading up to a conviction was still the norm.

So in other words, all he'd have to do is wait for a trial for a year and he'd be released, even though he's guilty of murder. That would fulfill his two years. As I said, obviously whether or not he's still a threat to society doesn't even enter into the picture.

I don't understand that 2 for 1 credit at all, unless it started to take effect after a specified amount of time based on what should be enough time for a well prepared trial to take place. To start the 2 for 1 for time served right off the bat makes no sense at all, and does nothing to protect society. It's all about protecting the guilty, at the expense of the innocent.

The 2 for 1 was originally put in place for people who spent long amounts of time in crowded remand centres. Over time, it somehow became precedent, and it was done as a normal procedure. Sometimes, people were even given 3 for 1. That's why it had to be legislated away.

Edited by Smallc

Guest TrueMetis

So in other words, all he'd have to do is wait for a trial for a year and he'd be released, even though he's guilty of murder. That would fulfill his two years. As I said, obviously whether or not he's still a threat to society doesn't even enter into the picture.

I don't understand that 2 for 1 credit at all, unless it started to take effect after a specified amount of time based on what should be enough time for a well prepared trial to take place. To start the 2 for 1 for time served right off the bat makes no sense at all, and does nothing to protect society. It's all about protecting the guilty, at the expense of the innocent.

2 for 1 was ended a little while ago fortunately.

2 for 1 was ended a little while ago fortunately.

LETS PRIVATIZE OUR JAILS...what the heck the nation is starting to feel like one huge prison anyway...may as well submit and let the law and order guys have their way AND turn a tidy profit...I say one for two is better than two for one..what say ye?

:rolleyes: Oh please, crime as a whole is quite low in this country. Apparently the system does a pretty good job, your disapproval notwithstanding.

Compared to what, East LA?

B&E, Auto-Theft, Drug offenses down, everything else and all violent up?

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/060720/dq060720b-eng.htm

How much of that is cultural, and how much of that is police work?

This poster thinks they aren't even bothering to chase, or report minimalist crimes as such. Living in Vancouver, it is clear it is getting worse, at least around here. It makes me want to throw up a little when I read in the news, of a police raid in which they arrest 39 people with 421 convictions between them. (Yes, I picked those numbers off the top of my head, but I'm sure I can find news clippings if need be, I've read it.)

Compared to what, East LA?

B&E, Auto-Theft, Drug offenses down, everything else and all violent up?

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/060720/dq060720b-eng.htm

How much of that is cultural, and how much of that is police work?

Ummm....no. Crime is and has been falling in Canada:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/090721/dq090721a-eng.htm

Violent crime was actually high in 2008. It's fell again in 2009.

Edited by Smallc

Unlike Oleg, I don't think our judges are purposefully evil and trying to unleash criminals on society. Rather, they are simply completely out of touch and do not understand what they are doing. They suffer from living in the ivory tower of the justice system with no grounding in reality. They go by precedent and slowly but constantly chip away at the lengths and types of sentences where possible, and gie no thought to the effects of their decisions on people besides the person they are sentencing.

Crime in Canada may be relatively low (when compared to the US) as Smallc says, but I'd say it's not because of our justice system but rather despite of it. Some countries just naturally have less crime, it is a matter of culture, economics, demographics, population density, etc. Iceland is a good example, just extremely low crime, and I don't think you can necessarily attribute it to their justice system.

I say our justice system needs an overhaul. Violent criminals simply need to be punished much much more severely than they are in Canada and that's all there is to it.

Crime in Canada may be relatively low (when compared to the US) as Smallc says, but I'd say it's not because of our justice system but rather despite of it.

Since what we have now is giving us lower crime, you're going to have to prove that some alternate reality would be better...or that the system is actually a problem.

I say our justice system needs an overhaul. Violent criminals simply need to be punished much much more severely than they are in Canada and that's all there is to it.

But does that work? I'm not sure there is evidence to support that it does.