British Petroleum....had better cough up the cash!

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope...that isn't the US Constitution....a real American would know that! ;)

Actually it was the first US Constitution a real American would know that, but with what you don't know about America it isn't really shocking you would know nothing about the History of it.

Actually it was the first US Constitution a real American would know that, but with what you don't know about America it isn't really shocking you would know nothing about the History of it.

:lol:

I think his head will explode.....

I'll bet you'll get a different version of his usual shtick,however...

Perhaps something like this....

"Yeah...Well...We kicked your king/Queens ass out,so take your throne and shove it!"

"I'm the ugly American and I'm hear to make sure you smug,self perceiving,know it all Canadians get put in your places...INGRATES!!!"

Edited by Jack Weber

:lol:

I think his head will explode.....

I'll bet you'll get a different version of his usual shtick,however...

Perhaps something like this....

"Yeah...Well...We kicked your king/Queens ass out,so take your throne and shove it!"

"I'm the ugly American and I'm hear to make sure you smug,self perceiving,know it all Canadians get put in your places...INGRATES!!!"

He's gonna blow!!!! So peaceful was the ignore button...ROTFLMAO!

Look, the onus is on you....there is little doubt that I am indeed an American. I don't have to pretend like the other wannabes like Weber.

I doubt you are an American you clearly know nothing about the History of America.

Edited by punked

I don't give a rat's ass about BP or your BDS...any idiot knows that if a $500,000 device would prevent this kind of liability, there would be a line wrapped around the coast to buy them.

Never put it past big companies to save a buck, anywhere.

I doubt you are an American you clearly know nothing about the History of America.

I see his new tack...When confronted with someone who's not interested in his drivel,Blowhard will claim that we all latently want to be like his country... :lol:

So...You're a wannabe,Punked... ;):lol::lol:

It wasn't very serious at all, as any conservation was far outpaced by growth in existing and developing markets. Transitioning away from a hydrocarbon based economy will take at least as long as it took to create it. Talk of the end for civilization is just hyperbole as few would go back to a pre-petroleum "paradise".

All it takes is a majority that is concerned about the longterm future, rather than immediate gratification. And that's a tall order, so I'm not an optimist. Although this disaster in the Gulf may be the kind of shock a lot of complacent fools need to realize that the solution of least resistance to Peak Oil -- tar sands, shale oils and deep water reserves, is the wrong direction to go.

Personally, I hope BP goes broke because of this - but it won't happen. Too many politicians in their back pocket, I'm sure.

As for the costs of this - well, I no longer support oil rigs off the coast of BC because of this although I doubt I would ever take that to the extent of voting for the BC NDP.

But, then, voting for a different party than the Campbell Liberals may be enough to make a point to them (if they even survive this HST thing).

The private sector can't be trusted to do what is right and the government can't be trusted to properly regulate so to hell with it - let us all pay higher costs for oil through less supply and maybe we will have an incentive to conserve, reduce, and find alternative sources of energy.

If all of the costs of oil were added to the price at the pump, we would have been phasing out hydrocarbons years ago. What is the cost of raising atmospheric CO2 levels close to 400 ppm? Carbon dioxide levels are already higher than they've been at any time during the last 15 million years...long before any humans were walking this earth.

And much of the world's oil comes from the most dangerous places, such as that cheap oil from the Middle East, which is provided courtesy of the U.S. maintaining a carrier fleet and dozens of military bases in countries that don't want them there. For some reason no U.S. government has ever though of sending the security bill to Exxon, BP and the other major players, even though most of the oil is sold to Europe and the Far East. Maybe one of these Neoconservatives can explain to me why they're so bent out of shape about spending on social programs but think nothing of paying this bill on behalf of Exxon and the customers of MidEast oil!

Never put it past big companies to save a buck, anywhere.

It also underlines the failure of rightwing ideology that calls for either no regulation or regulators that rubberstamp whatever plans a corporation wants to follow. The $500,000 acoustic backup switches wouldn't have been of any value in this case if the wellhead was destroyed, as experts now seem to believe, but just the fact that a relatively inexpensive backup system was rejected by an oil company and the regulators fell in line, tells a lot about the incestuous relationship of large corporations and the politicians they've bought and paid for.

Incidentally, the main cause of the disaster may turn out to be that the concrete cap around the wellheadwasn't strong enough...and that cap was built by Haliburton! Now, if BP runs out of money, Haliburton has lots of money to pay for the cleanup.

It also underlines the failure of rightwing ideology that calls for either no regulation or regulators that rubberstamp whatever plans a corporation wants to follow. The $500,000 acoustic backup switches wouldn't have been of any value in this case if the wellhead was destroyed, as experts now seem to believe, but just the fact that a relatively inexpensive backup system was rejected by an oil company and the regulators fell in line, tells a lot about the incestuous relationship of large corporations and the politicians they've bought and paid for.

Incidentally, the main cause of the disaster may turn out to be that the concrete cap around the wellheadwasn't strong enough...and that cap was built by Haliburton! Now, if BP runs out of money, Haliburton has lots of money to pay for the cleanup.

Well stated.

There is no way (this my area of expertise)any liability insurance policies BP has will be sufficient to

cover the money BP will be held responsible for in terms of compensation. They will easily excede any liability limits.

In fact no amount of money BP will pay can offset the damage and the question is will the courts protect BP from bankruptcy by capping the amount that they can be sued for?

The damages is in the trillions. We are talking about 3 or 4 state coast lines and permanent eco-spherical damage. The lowlands of Missouri and Louisianna were already facing extinction as a result of other man made activity plus hurricanes.

The overcrowded wild life will now all suffocate from the oil. Entire species of birds, fish and wildlife may be wiped out.

We know any pelicans, water birds or wildlife dependent on the lowlands are as good as dead. Vegetation will not be able to fight back from continuing waves of crude oil.

The winds and storms will blow the oil upstream into fresh water areas causing even more disasterous permanent damage.

We are talking about 100's of thousands of square miles of teaming wild life and fresh water wiped out by oil.

The oil spill is so vast it can not be burned.

This was bound to happen. We all know it was.

The oil rig off St. John's if it breaks will do the same disasterous thing. Oil rigs up North in the will do the same thing. It is just a matter of time until they break down.

You can't put these things in the ocean and thing man is stronger and smarter than nature and can resist the wind, the water pressure, the storms.

Nothing humans make can be assumed to be fool proof. Time and time again we have destroyed huge chunks of this planet with this insane notion that we are superior to the planet and can do whatever we want to it.

..... Maybe one of these Neoconservatives can explain to me why they're so bent out of shape about spending on social programs but think nothing of paying this bill on behalf of Exxon and the customers of MidEast oil!

Because of the energy density of petroleum...much higher than any BTUs we can hope to get out of social program recipients.

....The damages is in the trillions. We are talking about 3 or 4 state coast lines and permanent eco-spherical damage. The lowlands of Missouri and Louisianna were already facing extinction as a result of other man made activity plus hurricanes.

The damage will not be in the "trillions"....hyperbole at its very best!

The damage will not be in the "trillions"....hyperbole at its very best!

It can easily get there, many industries that are in the gulf area will no longer exist. It won't be apparent at first, and you would be short sighted to say it won't reach a trillion. BP is not the only one that is screwed here.