President Obama visits Afghanistan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Good thread, what really proves this thing was nothing but a photo op was the fact that only 2000 troops were present. Isn't there over 50000 there now?

Compared to the 600 troops present when Bush made his surprise visit to Iraq for Thanksgiving? Guess that must prove something even worse if the "only 2000" actually means something.

:rolleyes:

You could humour him though. Although Sharkman is apparently not even aware that military people are not free to decide for themselves what they're going to do on a given day, it's fun to let him think he's making a valid point now and then. It keeps him engaged. :lol:

You could humour him though. Although Sharkman is apparently not even aware that military people are not free to decide for themselves what they're going to do on a given day, it's fun to let him think he's making a valid point now and then. It keeps him engaged. :lol:

Mostly false, as "military people" make a lot of decisions about what they are going to do on a given day.

Bush Jr. was more popular than Clinton, and Reagan was more popular than both.

Guest American Woman

You could humour him though. Although Sharkman is apparently not even aware that military people are not free to decide for themselves what they're going to do on a given day....

Sometimes all you can do is roll your eyes. :D

Same with the notion that Obama is "copying" Bush because his visit was kept a secret.... as if the Obama White House officials would feel any differently regarding the insurgents knowing about his visit ahead of time than the Bush White House officials did. :rolleyes:

Mostly false, as "military people" make a lot of decisions about what they are going to do on a given day.

Yes, that's true. If your commander tells you to do guard duty, if you decide you'd rather take in a movie or go see the president, they can't do anything but let you go.

Same with the notion that Obama is "copying" Bush because his visit was kept a secret.... as if the Obama White House officials would feel any differently regarding the insurgents knowing about his visit ahead of time than the Bush White House officials did. :rolleyes:

You're obviously wrong. It's overly obvious that everyone who visits Afghanistan, from Stephen Harper to Prince Charles, is copying Bush.... :lol:

Guest American Woman

Yes, that's true. If your commander tells you to do guard duty, if you decide you'd rather take in a movie or go see the president, they can't do anything but let you go.

Makes one wonder why only 600 "decided" to have Thanksgiving dinner with Bush. :P

It's obvious you have never served, but you have watched a lot of American television and movies. "Commanders" do not bark orders "to do guard duty"...posting a watch is part of the job....which they volunteered for.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Makes one wonder why only 600 "decided" to have Thanksgiving dinner with Bush. :P

"I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere," Bush joked to some 600 soldiers from the 1st Armored Division and the 82nd Airborne Division, who were stunned by the appearance and applauded wildly while giving Bush a standing ovation.

Guest American Woman

"I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere," Bush joked to some 600 soldiers from the 1st Armored Division and the 82nd Airborne Division, who were stunned by the appearance and applauded wildly while giving Bush a standing ovation.

Yep. Thanks for confirming that only 600 "decided" to have Thanksgiving dinner with him, just as I said. B)

It's obvious you have never served, but you have watched a lot of American television and movies. "Commanders" do not bark orders "to do guard duty"...posting a watch is part of the job....which they volunteered for.

No, I don't feel like getting out of bed today...I was planning on taking it easy. The desert sun is hard on the skin, after all. I'll report for duty tomorrow.

Guest American Woman

No, I don't feel like getting out of bed today...I was planning on taking it easy. The desert sun is hard on the skin, after all. I'll report for duty tomorrow.

"Sure thing. Hope you can make it tomorrow, but if you can't, I'll understand. Whatever you decide."

:lol:

Compared to the 600 troops present when Bush made his surprise visit to Iraq for Thanksgiving? Guess that must prove something even worse if the "only 2000" actually means something.

:rolleyes:

So you don't think both events were photo ops? That's the bottom line to me, how many sound bites and video clips were made available for media consumption. And although I'm not sure regarding Bush's visit since the MSM weren't exactly friendly to his administration and therefore under-covered stories that put him in a good light, I still assume it was a photo op at heart.

As for Obama, he forces his health care bill through, he goes to Afghanistan, then he announces off-shore drilling(which turns out to be merely a reduction in his ban but let's not interrupt him, he's on a roll!). Can you see an attempt to shore up his sagging approval numbers(under 50%) in preparation for the mid-term elections, or do you see something else?

Guest American Woman

So you don't think both events were photo ops? That's the bottom line to me....

So that's what you were saying?-- that you think Obama and Bush were both just looking for photo ops? I find it odd that you didn't say you felt that way about Bush, while you were quite clear about how you felt aout Obama, so I'm glad you cleared that up.

So you're no more impressed with Bush's surprise visit to Iraq than you are with Obama's surprise visit to Afghanistan. Fair enough.

No, that's not what I was saying in my previous post which had you and bubber reacting. I was saying that Obama's trip was a photo op and a copy of Bush. I thought that was clear. What's still unclear is whether Obama is pulling the wool over your eyes. Color me unconvinced on that score.

Guest American Woman

No, that's not what I was saying in my previous post which had you and bubber reacting. I was saying that Obama's trip was a photo op and a copy of Bush. I thought that was clear. What's still unclear is whether Obama is pulling the wool over your eyes. Color me unconvinced on that score.

Sounds to me as if you're speaking in circles. You said both were photo-ops. Now you're denying this? :huh:

Actually...he did....wanted to serve turkey and stuffing to the troops in Iraq. Obama knows a good photo-op when he sees one.

Which is all the troops are for all sides of the political spectrum.

The smart soldiers, seamen and airmen see the game for what it is and that they are its pawns. The dumb ones vote big C 'Conservative' without qualification.

Edited by dizzy

Sounds to me as if you're speaking in circles. You said both were photo-ops. Now you're denying this? :huh:

You have to follow the bouncing ball, AM. At any rate, I hope this was a good Good Friday for you with much thanks given for previous goods. Fridays that is.

Don't worry, Monday's coming.

I like to take refuge in gibberish when I realize I said something stupid too. :)

Don't paint me with your gibberish tendencies! What, can't you follow the bouncing ball, aren't you some sort of editor?

In my post on March 26(9:10 am) I affirmed that both I viewed both visits to be photo ops. AW responded with her ' so that's what you were saying?' post, referring to my March 25 post, which was about something else, so I pointed that out.

I think the both of you are being intentionally obtuse, I can't believe either of you are that dense. At any rate I find it odd that she can't see that Obama's visit was nothing more than a photo op. What about you, Bubber?