Anne Coulter comes to Canada

Guest American Woman

I don't see it that way. I don't think anyone will believe she's serious in her complaint - presuming she ever files one. The only point will be to make the creaky machinery clank and turn and stutter aimlessly for a few months - and perhaps get the guy at UofO to admit they've never sent any similar letters, even to international speakers noted for supporting terrorism. It's mockery. "I'm a Christian white woman who is being attacked because of my religious and political beliefs! Look at ahow two-faced those lefties are!"

Or maybe the UofO has sent similar letters, and no one has ever whined about it before.......

Furthermore, the letter has nothing to do with her gender or her religious beliefs; and really nothing to do with her political beliefs, either. It's more her 'personal' attacks/comments, which is a separate issue from "political" beliefs.

Edited by American Woman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't excuse her from spreading misinformation and even hatred, if she does so.

She doesn't need an excuse....she has free speech rights...just like the men! :)

This is why Robert Young had to say "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV.". She doesn't ever seem to say "I"m not a journalist but I play one on TV." Glen Beck, on the other hand, has come out and said that he believes in Global Warming although his TV persona is that of a rabid denier.

Of course she has, never claiming to be an objective "journalist", but rather a very partisan author. She is more honest with her views than most of the other talking heads out there.

Misinformation is thrown at us everyday from a variety of sources. Top of mind is the advertising industry that make all kinds of exaggerated claims about the products they peddle. And don't get me started about politicians. Most people with a brain can resist the manipulation.

You are correct, and advertising is another example of information that is regulated by government for validity of claims made.

What is considered hatred is in the eye of the beholder. Think of some of the rabid opinions from whack jobs from other countries about westerners and about anyone who is not muslim. I'm certain some folks in those countries share their opinions but keep their thoughts to themselves.

Do you think those countries are a good example to follow ? If so, would you go there ?

She doesn't need an excuse....she has free speech rights...just like the men! :)

Having rights doesn't excuse you from using them improperly. I wouldn't excuse outright lying, though it's within someone's rights to do so.

Of course she has, never claiming to be an objective "journalist", but rather a very partisan author. She is more honest with her views than most of the other talking heads out there.

Not making a positive claim is not the same as making a negative claim. She should really put a disclaimer on the lines of "I don't know what I'm talking about." before every sentence.

I'm curious here. If she's warped for thinking that - are all the Muslims who feel Christians and Jews should not have the same rights as they do in their countries also warped? Because that's probably the majority of the Muslim world. Certainly I can't think of any majority Muslim country where other religious groups have the same rights and religious freedoms as Muslims.

Yes.

People leading muslim countries often are educated in western institutions. They know exactly what they're doing. They use things like faith to further strengthen their own brand of authoritarianism. In my opinion, it isn't religious at all, but a way towards power.

Unlike Ezea Levants persection by the HRC we the tax payers will get stuck with the bill for the University of Ottawa.Ezra had to pay his lawyers unlike his accuser.

That is not how it works.

The bill we will pay is for Coulter, since she is the complainant.

There's nothing there for her to have any basis for any grievance. The only people who are going to support her are those who already kiss her ass, while it makes her look like an even bigger ignoramus to the rest of the population.

Who gets heard by the Commissions is up to them, not to you. If frivolity and useless persecution were barriers to a complaint, the HRCs would have little to do.

How can you not support her, if you believe in free speech? Do you think that the U of Ottawa has the ride to demand she conform to their standards of speech?

Or maybe the UofO has sent similar letters, and no one has ever whined about it before.......

It wasn't the UofO so much as one TOOL at the UofO. With an e-mail...of all things.

Furthermore, the letter has nothing to do with her gender or her religious beliefs; and really nothing to do with her political beliefs, either. It's more her 'personal' attacks/comments, which is a separate issue from "political" beliefs.

Do they constitute illegal hate speech and were they uttered in a Canadian jurisdiction? Nope.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Is this the legal standard HRC's use in determining cases?

Who care's if she's American? So what if it doesn't play well? So if somebody from another country is encountered with a human rights abuse in Canada, we look the other way if they're not Canadian? This point about her not being Canadian definitely doesn't hold much legal water when it comes to possible human rights abuses.

Again, what does it matter if in your opinion she's unable to control herself? Is it a crime to be obnoctious during interviews? And where in Canadian law does it state that if you're temperment is bad, and your behavior during interviews is less than exemplary, human rights abuses are condoned in our country?

And the last time I checked, Women are a group. White Women are a group. And White, Christian. Women are a group. Some could even argue that White, Christian, Conservative women are a group. And globally speaking, they're a very small minority! :lol:

Read my post again. I didn't even address the legal aspect of it, just the political aspect.

Women are a group but there's no basis for a complaint if she's claiming that the University discriminated against her based on gender. Again, to be clear, I'm talking about the political play of all of this which is the driving force behind it, IMO.

Edited by Michael Hardner

...Women are a group but there's no basis for a complaint if she's claiming that the University discriminated against her based on gender. Again, to be clear, I'm talking about the political play of all of this which is the driving force behind it, IMO.

She can have lots of fun with this, specially if no such direction has been given to others by UofO. Methinks that Houle will be getting much more than just e-mails from the university administration.

...and Coulter can cackle all the way to the bank!

Do you think those countries are a good example to follow ? If so, would you go there ?

My belief in free speech extends to everyone, even those I don't agree with, wherever they may be. And no, I would not travel to any country I don't think would welcome me and where I would fear for my safety. Those destinations are not difficult for me to identify.

Guest American Woman

Do they constitute illegal hate speech and were they uttered in a Canadian jurisdiction? Nope.

I didn't say they did. I said that's what the letter pertained to, pointing out that it wasn't in regards to her being a woman, her religion, or her politics as claimed in the post I was responding to.

Furthermore, Houle didn't say they were, either; he reminded her of Canada's hate laws so she would be aware that there is a difference between the U.S. and Canada, in case she was unaware, so she wouldn't say anything that would unknowingly get her into trouble.

Did you read the letter? I can't begin to understand why Canada's Human Rights Commission would even begin to waste their time or money entertaining her claim. I'm sure they get a lot of nonsense complaints from a lot of kooks.

Edited by American Woman

Having rights doesn't excuse you from using them improperly. I wouldn't excuse outright lying, though it's within someone's rights to do so.

Gee...we wouldn't have many comics under your regime. No fun...

Not making a positive claim is not the same as making a negative claim. She should really put a disclaimer on the lines of "I don't know what I'm talking about." before every sentence.

Nonsense...we know who the hell Ann Coulter is and her schtick....it's amazing it has gone on this long. Coulter is no dummy and she certainly isn't stupid. Demonizing her just improves the brand.

Did you read the letter? I can't begin to understand why Canada's Human Rights Commission would even begin to waste their time or money entertaining her claim. I'm sure they get a lot of nonsense complaints from a lot of kooks.

Very few though have an international audience.

Coulter is no dummy and she certainly isn't stupid. Demonizing her just improves the brand.

From what I gather, she's got liberals and leftists well pegged and exactly where she wants them. She throws out a few gems that at once bring applause from her supporters and indignation, even furor, from her detractors. Then, she collects the dough, leans back and enjoys the show. All this begets more gigs. She's good.

She can have lots of fun with this, specially if no such direction has been given to others by UofO. Methinks that Houle will be getting much more than just e-mails from the university administration.

...and Coulter can cackle all the way to the bank!

I don't think it helps her case if no-one else has ever received such an email. How would it ? She's a lightning rod for controversy and the administration wanted to mitigate potential damage. Unless "hothead" and "monster" are identifiable groups, she may well be SOL.

My belief in free speech extends to everyone, even those I don't agree with, wherever they may be. And no, I would not travel to any country I don't think would welcome me and where I would fear for my safety. Those destinations are not difficult for me to identify.

Ok, so you like countries where religious prejudice thrives, but you wouldn't visit them ?

Clear this one up for me.

I don't think it helps her case if no-one else has ever received such an email. How would it ? She's a lightning rod for controversy and the administration wanted to mitigate potential damage. Unless "hothead" and "monster" are identifiable groups, she may well be SOL.

I think if anything she will claim that she is singled out as American and the author uses her nationality in such a way that it was intended to stifle her freedom of expression.

I wouldn't say she has a case, but I suspect the HRC will be obliged to respond, especially with consideration that their reponse should end up with no less than a foot note in her next best selling book.

Gee...we wouldn't have many comics under your regime. No fun...

"My regime" is a whole other topic B_C. Let's just say it would be a nightmare...

Nonsense...we know who the hell Ann Coulter is and her schtick....it's amazing it has gone on this long. Coulter is no dummy and she certainly isn't stupid. Demonizing her just improves the brand.

This goes back to the assertion that Beck, Rush L. and the gang are just entertainers. Yet, they seem to have the same concerns as the right-wing posters here, who I'm sure you wouldn't refer to as comics and clowns. Let alone the fact that they have 30 million+ followers hanging on their every dumb word.

Somebody needs to put a warning sticker on Coulter's forehead... "Information emanating from the opening below may include toxic amounts of disinformation. "

She has already won even if nothing else happens, playing her cards very well. Another poke in the eye for Canada at her next engagement. The funny part is that their very actions to try and prevent contoversy has caused even more.

I think if anything she will claim that she is singled out as American and the author uses her nationality in such a way that it was intended to stifle her freedom of expression.

I wouldn't say she has a case, but I suspect the HRC will be obliged to respond, especially with consideration that their reponse should end up with no less than a foot note in her next best selling book.

Hmmm. Good catch. I hadn't thought of that. I don't think this will help her career south of the border, though. They don't think about us very often...

Absolutely....