Toronto Council Ignored as Feds put G20 Downtown

Whinging about nothing is a quality toronto civic politicians excel in.

In the Star over the weekend they said the "small" security footprint would be from Queen to the Gardiner and from Spadina to Yonge. I'm sorry, but that's something to complain about. Put it at the ex and it's an easily securable area. Putting it at the convention guarantees that the entire downtown core is going to be shut down. How is the subway going to work? What about people who are going to be travelling in through Union Station? Why should people be forced to undergo background checks in order to get back to their homes when it could easily be put in another area of the city?

In the Star over the weekend they said the "small" security footprint would be from Queen to the Gardiner and from Spadina to Yonge. I'm sorry, but that's something to complain about. Put it at the ex and it's an easily securable area. Putting it at the convention guarantees that the entire downtown core is going to be shut down. How is the subway going to work? What about people who are going to be travelling in through Union Station? Why should people be forced to undergo background checks in order to get back to their homes when it could easily be put in another area of the city?

That's a smaller footprint that I would have expected. The CNE is not a good conference venue. Too far from the hotels which would mean the security foot print would be easily just as large.

I had just started working for the business press back in 88 or 89 when the G-8 conference was in Toronto. The French delegates were in the 4 seasons and for 24 hours a day a helicoper hovered overhead. I know this because I lived around the corner.

I look forward to visitng the media hospitality tent...any idea who the offical beer will be?

I think I might make the trip to Toronto in June for the G20 summit. I wouldn't mind confronting some of those anarchy/anti-globalization types, and kicking in their teeth. Especially if I see them damaging the private property of business owners. It could be pretty fun.

I think I might make the trip to Toronto in June for the G20 summit. I wouldn't mind confronting some of those anarchy/anti-globalization types, and kicking in their teeth. Especially if I see them damaging the private property of business owners. It could be pretty fun.

How come the bad-ass anonymous internet posters are always soft little weiners in real life?

I think the Government of Canada was smart to do this. They wanted to have the conference near the financial sector, because Canada is 'open for business'. Yes, it will be inconvenient for a few days, but, it will probably be good in the end.

I think the Government of Canada was smart to do this. They wanted to have the conference near the financial sector, because Canada is 'open for business'. Yes, it will be inconvenient for a few days, but, it will probably be good in the end.

And a hell of a lot cheaper than hosting the olympics...and the down town bars and restaurants will have a field day...what with the european journos and the $200+ a day entertainment allowance...

Just hope the Feds pay their share but from what I've heard they don't HAVE and usually don't so I guess the taxpayers in Toronto will be stuck with the 150-300 million bill. Of course, if this was an election, they made sure they paid it but its not, at least, not so far.

Just hope the Feds pay their share but from what I've heard they don't HAVE and usually don't so I guess the taxpayers in Toronto will be stuck with the 150-300 million bill. Of course, if this was an election, they made sure they paid it but its not, at least, not so far.

Listening to your microwave again?

The costs for previous summits such as Pittsburg's are well under 20 million

Edited by M.Dancer

The cost for this summit actually is 150M, she's right. The federal government will pay $143M, and the City of Toronto will have to pay $7M because that's half the cost of the fancy new communications system they get to keep.

The cost for this summit actually is 150M, she's right. The federal government will pay $143M, and the City of Toronto will have to pay $7M because that's half the cost of the fancy new communications system they get to keep.

Yes..lets look at what Topaz said...

Toronto will be stuck with the 150-300 million bill

The bill for the Pittsbrg event (Pittsburg's tab) was well under $20 million.

The Federal Government has grown tired of listening to Toronto qq.

Toronto isn't the only city in Canada, they need to shut up and get to work raising taxes or whatever it is they do.

No, but they are probably the most important and one of the fastest (if not the fastest) growing cities in Canada. In a few years, the GTA will hit 6M people. That will be 2M more people than montreal, 3.5M more people than Vancouver, and 4.5M more people than Toronto (given their estimated populations at the time Toronto is expected to reach 6M people). The other cities are also important, but Toronto is out banking and financial hub.

That's a smaller footprint that I would have expected. The CNE is not a good conference venue. Too far from the hotels which would mean the security foot print would be easily just as large.

I had just started working for the business press back in 88 or 89 when the G-8 conference was in Toronto. The French delegates were in the 4 seasons and for 24 hours a day a helicoper hovered overhead. I know this because I lived around the corner.

I look forward to visitng the media hospitality tent...any idea who the offical beer will be?

The CNE isn't the perfect venue due to the hotels like you mentioned, but the lakeshore goes straight into downtown and it would be closed anyways. You have a dedicated road in and out of the city that you can barricade all you want and a dedicated secure site at the ex. This way, the entire city doesn't have to shut down. MLB is actually trying to relocate the Philly-Toronto series. Where are they going to play? Christie Pitts?

Yes, places in those areas may see a boost in customers from journalists, but how many regular customers are they going to lose? If this is just the small security footprint (with talk of an additional two) it looks as if though the subway will probably be closed south of Queen. Seems to me that during a summer night business will lose millions in business due to background checks being needed to simply go to a restaurant downtown. What about Pride? There are tonnes of events planned that bring the city millions in revenue that might need to be cancelled due to this. I still don't see how any good can come of this being held at the convention centre.

No, but they are probably the most important and one of the fastest (if not the fastest) growing cities in Canada. In a few years, the GTA will hit 6M people. That will be 2M more people than montreal, 3.5M more people than Vancouver, and 4.5M more people than Toronto (given their estimated populations at the time Toronto is expected to reach 6M people). The other cities are also important, but Toronto is out banking and financial hub.

GTA is already at about 6.

Seems to me that during a summer night business will lose millions in business due to background checks being needed to simply go to a restaurant downtown. What about Pride? There are tonnes of events planned that bring the city millions in revenue that might need to be cancelled due to this. I still don't see how any good can come of this being held at the convention centre.

3000 journalists alone will be here..then add the supprt staff...and the functionaries....the local eateries won't lose a dime.

On top of that, for a few days Toronto will headline the news in every major market.

3000 journalists alone will be here..then add the supprt staff...and the functionaries....the local eateries won't lose a dime.

On top of that, for a few days Toronto will headline the news in every major market.

Ok, so lets say 10,000 people. You think that's going fill every restaurant downtown? With Pride on? I don't know what you're smoking, but I'd like some of it.

Ok, so lets say 10,000 people. You think that's going fill every restaurant downtown? With Pride on? I don't know what you're smoking, but I'd like some of it.

Of course not every restaurant...merely the ones in either walking distance from the conference or a short taxio ride from the hotels. And remember, 3000 journalists spending their editors and producers money.

Pride can fill the rest.

Try to remember the G8 we had in 89...it was amazing.

Of course not every restaurant...merely the ones in either walking distance from the conference or a short taxio ride from the hotels. And remember, 3000 journalists spending their editors and producers money.

Pride can fill the rest.

Try to remember the G8 we had in 89...it was amazing.

Pride fills everything no matter what. The security is going to have people staying away in droves.

Pride fills everything no matter what.

No it doesn't.

pride does very little for anyone north of bloor, west of university or east of broadview. And unless you are on the 40 yard line you aren't overwhelmed.

The security is going to have people staying away in droves.

Security will be no where near pride. Pride basically is bounded by Jarvis on the east, Bay on the west, Bloor on the north and Carleton on the south with the heart being the wellesley church corner. Bugger all happens anywhere else.

Only nerds and wanna be bullies run for city council - and people who need to feel important..so let them feel important and have the G20 conference here - at least we could view our own back room boys who will come out of hiding because their egos demand it.