Feds spending cuts

Topaz

This Fed. gov't takes the country into the largest debt and now their way of getting out of it is on the back of workers. I like to know if they are going after pensions, how much are THEY going to give up?? These politicans get more perks than any politicans in Canada and by just looking at some of them they aren't starving either! Next, they will be rasing the EI and probably cut back the time a person can be on! http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/public-servants-gird-for-pension-battle-with-ottawa/article1470480/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect when most political are lawyers? Lawyers are a black robed cult of arch crimminals that are highly orgainized and practiced in the art of deception. That is the nature of the beast- conspiracy and betrayal. Privlege is a strange creature..it asserts it self and noble but the rotting yellow under belly is ignoble.

let's see....last time it was the 30 billion $ surplus in the fund - and what they claim is an uneven contribution scale NOW, wasn't an issue when they wanted the whole kit and kaboodle, eh?

What will they rely on next time they post a deficit, I wonder??

Of course, their pensions are extravangant and Harper's cabinet is THE most bloated one, bar Mulroney's....

This Fed. gov't takes the country into the largest debt and now their way of getting out of it is on the back of workers. I like to know if they are going after pensions, how much are THEY going to give up?? These politicans get more perks than any politicans in Canada and by just looking at some of them they aren't starving either! Next, they will be rasing the EI and probably cut back the time a person can be on! http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/public-servants-gird-for-pension-battle-with-ottawa/article1470480/

Flahrety has been pretty clear to date that he is aiming to cut spending from the 65 billion allocated to federal programs.

The staff costs are about 35 billion.

Although you can pretty well geuss it was planned a year ago for the last budget when they tried to stop the right to strike for federal employees.

Warnings have already gone out to charities that say funding will be cut from programs that contradict the conservative party beleifs, such as Oxfam, to name one.

Edited by William Ashley

Why should government workers be immune to recessions that private-sector workers have to deal with? Especially when it's the private-sector workers that pay for the government worker's salaries.

it would be helpful to gain the perspective of any active MLW members who currently work for the federal government - ideally, a prolific MLW member, one who is a most loyal advocate (lapdog) for the Harper Conservatives. Anyone... anyone... :lol:

Why should government workers be immune to recessions that private-sector workers have to deal with? Especially when it's the private-sector workers that pay for the government worker's salaries.

Excellent point. We could ask the Nortel workers if they think it's fair that swivel servants get a pass...

Do it Harper and even I might close my eyes and vote Liberal just too screw your government as much as you have screwed the people.

Yeah...there will be lots of votes lost as the working electorate worry about revenue Caanada employees.... :lol::(:o:lol:

Yeah...there will be lots of votes lost as the working electorate worry about revenue Caanada employees.... :lol::(:o:lol:

I worry about anyone who gets their pension or job cut at the same time the government continues to drop Corporate Canada tax from the lowest it has ever been too even lower. The rich get richer. I am not against trimming the fat I am however against the government punishing the working man and handing over money too the rich ones.

I worry about anyone who gets their pension or job cut at the same time the government continues to drop Corporate Canada tax from the lowest it has ever been too even lower. The rich get richer. I am not against trimming the fat I am however against the government punishing the working man and handing over money too the rich ones.

Nope. A business allowed to keep MORE OF IT'S OWN MONEY has nothing to do with government workers being immune to tough financial times. In most cases, these evil Corporations have already had their profits shrink, they've already had to cut jobs, or lower salaries, or lower benefits. It's the public employees that try to hide themselves from the economic woes that the people who pay their salaries have to deal with on a regular basis. They shouldn't be treated as royalty. They should have to face the same issues the rest of us have to deal with during a recession. Move to England if you wanna be part of the monarchy.

That's about how I feel Shady. The job security, benefits and pension of federal civil servants are generally far beyond that which similarly qualified people get in the private sector. I'll vote for anyone who's looking to cut expenses and deal tough with those people.

WOW, can you ever feel the love for the public service employees here....But i wonder just who in the public service will be effected....well good question, our military, RCMP, coast gaurd, CSIS,pretty much our entire security appartus....not to mention all those other public servents we all love to hate...

Well i can honestly say that after 30 years service to my country, i will not be eating Cat food as a main meal...nor will i be eating steak tar tar or cavier either....I'd like to think that during my service i gave alot more than i received... ask anyone already on a military service pension, and they are probably still working, suplimenting it with another wage....I'm not complaining just stating that nobody ever got rich working for the public service....atleast not down in the trenches, like most of us...

perhaps we should all take some time and suck back and reload, the Public services pension fund was raped already from 1999 until 2006 for a total of 29.18 bil dollars....where did that money go ? well it funded most of debt repayment....And while the liberals will lay claim to the deficit reduction, really it was thier idea, but public service funds...as far as i know most Canadians approved of this adventure, but like the liberals really failed to give credit were credit was do....yes those damn public service employees we love to hate....How much of your pension went into debt repayment ?

And while we all love to say we pay your wages, though our taxes...yes you do...thank you, but lets also not forget we pay the same taxes as you do, we wait in those same line ups as you do, only add to the list we pay the national debt down as well....

What remains of this pension plan is just over 12.97 bil dollars held in limbo, as the public service had to change thier pension plan so it would not get robbed once again....Lets not forget that each employee pays into that plan as well, most of it is employee monies, I think we would all agree that the government paid portion, or as some have put it "tax payers" portion has been recovered....by the liberals...

The new pension plan is still a governmental plan invested in the markets, for what purpose i ask SO that goverment can dip into when they want....to create a larger surplus, in a shorter time space...why even have a pension fund why not call it the deficit plan....and pay our retired public service members straight out of the yearly budget...man we could really pay that down in quick time...

I guess to sum up, we should'nt be screwing with anyones pension plan...even the public services plan...

Edited by Army Guy

Nope. A business allowed to keep MORE OF IT'S OWN MONEY has nothing to do with government workers being immune to tough financial times. In most cases, these evil Corporations have already had their profits shrink, they've already had to cut jobs, or lower salaries, or lower benefits. It's the public employees that try to hide themselves from the economic woes that the people who pay their salaries have to deal with on a regular basis. They shouldn't be treated as royalty. They should have to face the same issues the rest of us have to deal with during a recession. Move to England if you wanna be part of the monarchy.

What are you talking about? It was these clowns that wanted too move the public pension into the markets 4 years ago, today those people would have lost 40% of their retirement cause these guys don't know anything. Now we should "trust them" with it no thank. No one who severs this country should have their pension clawed back while non-Canadian companies rape our resources and get tax breaks for it. Sorry Shady you are wrong. If you don't like it move too Somalia the free markets rule there have fun.

I'm REALLY hoping that someone in the media who does the interview with the minister will ask what is the members of Parliament going to give up too, since HE said EVERYONE has to give up something for the better of the country. Didn't they give themselves a raise a couple years ago. Maybe take away the 13 FREE airline trips for them and their families, free meals, cars etc. I bet they will get their money back on the Olympic tickets!

move to the US if you don't want a monarchy and prefer tricolour sheets.

They don't work hard enough for Shady, unless they are private, Shady supports private militia fighting our wars.

I support private and public militias!

The forces could do way more in Canada, so could criminals. If they did half the building in Canada that they are doing in Afghanistan and Haiti Canadians and Natives would have way more infrastructure, and less spending would be forced to third party contractors.

Edited by William Ashley

I'm REALLY hoping

I'm really hoping you'll be consistent. Aren't you the same person who posts thread after thread about the federal deficit? Now that it's actually being addressed, you get a nasty case of the vapors. Well I do declare! Tell me what government spending should be cut. Which programs do you want to scale back. And why should government employees be immune to recessions that workers who pay their salaries have to face? What's fair about that?

I'm really hoping you'll be consistent. Aren't you the same person who posts thread after thread about the federal deficit? Now that it's actually being addressed, you get a nasty case of the vapors. Well I do declare! Tell me what government spending should be cut. Which programs do you want to scale back. And why should government employees be immune to recessions that workers who pay their salaries have to face? What's fair about that?

I could post things about crime, and the Conservatives could come up with a crime plan of killing everyone who commits a crime and I could be against it. Just because they are doing something doesn't make it right sorry Shady take another wing in the dark.

I should have known that the Canadian that spends all his time discussing American politics doesn't know a thing about the Kingdom of Canada.

What I do know is that government workers think they should be immune to economic downturns, which people who pay their salaries have to deal with. What's fair about that?