Leading republican wants war with Iran

Citing a column by Pat Buchanan that clearly argues against conflict with Iran, Sarah Palin on Sunday suggested that a war with Iran would be good policy and a boon for President Obama's 2012 reelection hopes.

WAR WAR WAR!!!!! CUT CUT CUT!!!! TAXES TAXES TAXES!!! Do these guys have anything new to bring I kinda hope the tea party takes them over at least they don't have a playbook yet and might have some real ideas.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/palin-advocates-war-with-iran-after-misunderstanding-buchanan-column.php?ref=fpb

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eye-ran, she said.

I used to think she wasn't ready to be VP, but now I don't think she's ready to be a political commentator.

You shouldn't discriminate on the basis of how somebody speaks. People come from different areas of the world, and speak with differing accents and dialect. Just ask Harry Reid.

You shouldn't discriminate on the basis of how somebody speaks. People come from different areas of the world, and speak with differing accents and dialect. Just ask Harry Reid.

"Eye-ran" is not dialect; it's simply mispronounced.

Does she say "eye-rigate the crops"?

Does she get "eye-ritated" with liberals?

See? It's simply wrong. That's all.

"Eye-ran" is not dialect; it's simply mispronounced.

Does she say "eye-rigate the crops"?

Does she get "eye-ritated" with liberals?

See? It's simply wrong. That's all.

Is it worse than pronouncing corpsman as corpse-man? LOL! Does he refer to the Army Corpse of Engineers too? LOL!

You mean if somebody uses bad grammar and has a limited vocabulary, we should support their bid for the presidency ? People already did that with Bush.

You mean if somebody uses bad grammar and has a limited vocabulary, we should support their bid for the presidency ? People already did that with Bush.

No, not necessarily. It also doesn't necessarily mean supporting the person who reads the best off of the teleprompter.

No, not necessarily. It also doesn't necessarily mean supporting the person who reads the best off of the teleprompter.

I never thought GW Bush was an idiot, and I thought that he was better at connecting with people, at least in the beginning. But if GWB was awkward, Palin is a complete spaz.

Why all this belittling?

The woman is popular because she identifies the problems in a way people can identifty with. She gives them voice, in a way lots of people understand and agree with. In fact, the only politician in the USA that can draw more people than Sarah Palin is Barrack Obama.

She recently appeared at a small convention of Tea Party organizers in Nashville. Because she was there, the national media were there. They chose to write about her crib notes on her hand. Huffington Post had several posts dedicating to making Palin look ridiculous.

That's part of the power of Sarah Palin. She attracts huge media coverage, a lot ofthem dedicated to her destruction. Yet, all the snottiness, all the venom doesn't seem to affect her. In fact, it underlines how smug and condescending her critics are. Every time the women of The View laugh bitterly at her, another chunk of people decide she pisses off all the right people, about all the right things.

I don't think Canadians have any idea how bad parts of the USA are, and what a devastating blow North American industry is taking. I was in Windsor for two days back in October, and I was shocked. It looks like 20% of the homes are for sale, and the rental market has disappeared -- in Windsor!!! I crossed the border to take a look at Detroit ... where I had friends back in the 1970ies ... it was a pretty sad place, then. But now, it's worse. Whole parts of the city have been closed down. Houses are being burnt down by vagrants, or by owners -- who knows? Unemployment is about 50%. Schools are closing. Whole plazas are closed. Michigan is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. It's a disaster area, a city returning to dust.

Detroit is ground-zero, of course, but it's only marginally better all through the old industrial heartland ... In the US overall, one mortgage in eight is underwater ... millions of foreclosures are lined up ... nobody wants to say it out loud, certainly nobody in the media -- but when the interest rates go up, the jig is up. Ordinary Americans generally are coming to the conclusion that the stimulus has failed.

That's why you should watch this woman. Fate has decreed that she is to have a huge role in the unfolding events because she gives voice to the feelings of lots of ordinary Americans, who played by the rules, and have been betrayed. She is certainly the one best positioned, at the moment, to become the first female President of the USA.

You may not think much of the woman, herself ... but there's no denying that there's a lot of people behind her, giving her a kind of stature. They may end up rejecting her, but people want these words to be said. They want those words, and more ... better than any politician in America, Sarah Palin understands those people. That's why her enemies can't destroy her, and why observers should take her seriously.

Edited by Bugs

Why all this belittling?

That's why you should watch this woman. Fate has decreed that she is to have a huge role in the unfolding events because she gives voice to the feelings of lots of ordinary Americans, who played by the rules, and have been betrayed. She is certainly the one best positioned, at the moment, to become the first female President of the USA.

You may not think much of the woman, herself ... but there's no denying that there's a lot of people behind her, giving her a kind of stature. They may end up rejecting her, but people want these words to be said. They want those words, and more ... better than any politician in America, Sarah Palin understands those people. That's why her enemies can't destroy her, and why observers should take her seriously.

This is why some people are snotty or dismissive: she's not a leader, she's a brand ! And her boosters think that she's qualified to be president because she is "Ms. Average American".

Why would anybody vote for somebody because they're just like them ? Does the average person think that they could be President ? It's a peculiar affliction of the American self-image that they think the everyman (or everywoman) has the skills to run the country.

Americans are nice people but I wouldn't pick somebody with poor grasp of world affairs to lead the USA, effectively to lead the world.

Sarah Palin represents the ultimate victory of style over substance. Lyndon Johnson adopted the advertising/marketing strategy model to win the 1964 election, but he let in a virus. The campaign strategists are more interested in winning than in producing a qualified candidate, and you can see this in Palin (and Obama, actually all of them back to LBJ) and it's getting worse.

Also, I would like to point out that Americans feel betrayed by the economics that have laid waste to middle America. Hmmmm... who steered the economy since 1980 - Republicans or Democrats ?

(For the record, I think that global economy has helped and hurt America but that the benefits aren't evenly distributed. )

Go to war, to score political points at home. That's about the depth of her understanding.

I'm realizing something here:

Has there ever been a politician "in play" that was commenting on political strategy ? I think Huckabee did - sort of - though he wasn't nearly as big a player.

There are various conflicts of interest here.

- Her analysis can't be trusted because she could be saying things to serve her purposes as a politician.

- Her analysis will be lacking because she can't say things that would negatively affect her own campaign.

- Her political campaign could suffer, as she's building up a career as a media personality as a back-up after her political career.

- Her political campaign will have the disadvantage of being tied to her statements as an analyst. This is what happened with the "bomb Iran and win the election statement". Does she really think that ? She said it as an analyst, and now Sara Palin the candidate has to live with it.

Although she has a huge advantage in the amount of media exposure, she now has two complex sets of strategies to deal with: her strategy to get more popular as a commentator and nourish that career (and Fox's plans for her are figured into that as well) and her strategy to get the nomination.

Managing one set of strategies is hard enough, but managing two is prohibitively difficult. Luckily, she seems to be so ill equipped to that task that there will be others hired to do it for her. I hope for her sake that they have her best interests in mind.

And lets not forget obamas corpes -man.

This is why some people are snotty or dismissive: she's not a leader, she's a brand ! And her boosters think that she's qualified to be president because she is "Ms. Average American".

Why would anybody vote for somebody because they're just like them ? Does the average person think that they could be President ? It's a peculiar affliction of the American self-image that they think the everyman (or everywoman) has the skills to run the country.

Americans are nice people but I wouldn't pick somebody with poor grasp of world affairs to lead the USA, effectively to lead the world.

Sarah Palin represents the ultimate victory of style over substance. Lyndon Johnson adopted the advertising/marketing strategy model to win the 1964 election, but he let in a virus. The campaign strategists are more interested in winning than in producing a qualified candidate, and you can see this in Palin (and Obama, actually all of them back to LBJ) and it's getting worse.

Nonsense ... how could you get more style over substance than JFK, who, by the way, stole his election? His campaign was based on a non-existent arms gap. Kennedy just about triggered World War III over the missile crisis. Mr. Hardner probably thinks Kennedy is a role-model for Presidents -- be born rich and arrogant.

Hardner is merely restating the attitudes that are being distributed to us, the masses, by a partisan media, at one of their most partisan points in history.

What's interesting about Sarah Palin is that it works so poorly. Rather, it exposes the motives of the media themselves. When the media accuse her of using her Downes syndrome child as a political prop, people see their spittle, and the green eyes of ambition.

Palin recently appeared at the Tea Party Convention, in Nashville, and all the media showed up -- to get footage of her to ridicule. The come away with laugh-lines about the way she writes crib notes on her hand. In a strange way, that's her power. She draws the media like honey draws flies. And she demonstrates how trivial the media have become.

A lot of people know damned well that there's too much spending going on, and suspect that a band of charlatans have sandbagged Obama. They know who's going to end up paying, and they know who's still getting big bonuses. To them, Sarah Palin is almost the only public figure speaking out.

What have YOU got to say about that, Mr. Hardner? What should Sarah Palin be saying?

Why can't people simply look at the facts for themselves? She speaks for a lot of people. It isn't what she says that should scare you, it's what the people applaud. Belittle her if you wish, Mr. Hardner -- but she's been Governor of Alaska. What have you done that gives your opinions and your attitudes more weight than her's?

She hasn't even said she'd be a candidate for the Presidency. Why set those standards for her?

Why not just simply note what she says, as one of a rising tide of voices that, apart from their usual party loyalties, oppose the spending, the spending, the spending ... and saddling their children with the problem of repaying? That's the political dynamite!

Edited by Bugs

What should Sarah Palin be saying?

I think she should stick to the important political issues that make sense for her country. Her problem is that, if left unscripted whe collapses into non-sensical jibberish, that is self defeating. Her greatest enemy is not the media, but her own self. She gives them all the sound=bites they need to have a field day, and thats what sells papers.

Eg. to say, Obama should attack Iran because it will help him win the next election. those are the things she typically says and comes across as a clue-less air head who would only be useful as a mouthpeice for some other real leader, were she ever to become president. :rolleyes:

sarah palin,s comments on fixed news regarding president obama 'playing the war card' and intiating a war with iran, further confirms the fact that she is a blithering rightwing neoconned idiot!she is ignorant and dangerous and her followers are even more ignorant and dangerous!!god forbid this woman ever gets the presidency!!it will be a disaster for the u.s. and quite possibly the world!! i am an american and a u.s. citizen and every time palin or other rightwingers speak it makes americans look like a bunch of warmongering morons in the world! republicanism and extreme right wing ideology is an embarassment and a sign of mental illness!!

Nonsense ... how could you get more style over substance than JFK, who, by the way, stole his election? His campaign was based on a non-existent arms gap. Kennedy just about triggered World War III over the missile crisis. Mr. Hardner probably thinks Kennedy is a role-model for Presidents -- be born rich and arrogant.

I wasn't around for that election so you may be right.

Hardner is merely restating the attitudes that are being distributed to us, the masses, by a partisan media, at one of their most partisan points in history.

Call me Michael, or Mr. Hardner if you please.

What's interesting about Sarah Palin is that it works so poorly. Rather, it exposes the motives of the media themselves. When the media accuse her of using her Downes syndrome child as a political prop, people see their spittle, and the green eyes of ambition.

Ok, I don't know what specific event you're talking about. I don't have a problem with her talking about her family experiences in politics.

Palin recently appeared at the Tea Party Convention, in Nashville, and all the media showed up -- to get footage of her to ridicule. The come away with laugh-lines about the way she writes crib notes on her hand. In a strange way, that's her power. She draws the media like honey draws flies. And she demonstrates how trivial the media have become.

The media has become trivial because it sells like soap. She fits the new media paradigm perfectly. Unfortunately, we need able leaders more than ever - and instead we have human products.

A lot of people know damned well that there's too much spending going on, and suspect that a band of charlatans have sandbagged Obama. They know who's going to end up paying, and they know who's still getting big bonuses. To them, Sarah Palin is almost the only public figure speaking out.

The complexity of our problems is clearly beyond her.

What have YOU got to say about that, Mr. Hardner? What should Sarah Palin be saying?

Firstly, they need to overhaul the machinery of government completely. The corruption that is rampant in the system needs to be jettisoned somehow. Campaigns cost too much money, and the system suffers from that. I would start there.

Why can't people simply look at the facts for themselves? She speaks for a lot of people. It isn't what she says that should scare you, it's what the people applaud. Belittle her if you wish, Mr. Hardner -- but she's been Governor of Alaska. What have you done that gives your opinions and your attitudes more weight than her's?

I guess I haven't been a state governor, if that's what you mean. So I shouldn't criticize her because of that ? All righty...

I'm not talking about her policies, and why would I ? Her policies, her ideas whatever they are... they're all subordinate to the brand.

She hasn't even said she'd be a candidate for the Presidency. Why set those standards for her?

Really ? I don't get that. Glen Beck's welcoming of her to Fox News seemed to say that she was going to be the one to lead them out of the darkness. She said she would run if it was right for the country, so...

Why not just simply note what she says, as one of a rising tide of voices that, apart from their usual party loyalties, oppose the spending, the spending, the spending ... and saddling their children with the problem of repaying? That's the political dynamite!

The presence of Sara Palin on the political landscape is more of a signifier of the decline of politics than anything else. Her 'tax cutting' ideas are as lame as the tax and spend ideas of her opponents. The only time she's interesting is when she's stupendously stupid, as with her implied advice to Obama to Nuke Iran and win the election.