Chapters bookstore banned Mein Kampf?

So are the Bible and Qu'ran.

You may have misinterpreted my intent. I was not trashing the book, nor was the statement about banning the book. On the contrary, as a snapshot, it is a valuable learning tool for those who would avoid such destructive behavior in the future.

As to the two tomes you mentioned, neither is the product of a single mind.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's terrible and I think all books no matter how offensive should be allowed to be sold. Censorship is free speech?

All books??? Really??? You don't think any books should be banned???

Think carefully before you reply......

Just like stupid number 13, which is soon to be gone.

??? :blink:

Edited by PocketRocket

The more the merrier when it comes to oddities, twisted minds, and destructive behaviours. Adolf certainly did not have a monopoly on such ideas, nor was he very original.

Ah, but when a single mind writes a book detailing what he'd like to do, and how he'd like to do it, it's a far better glimpse into the workings of HIS mind than a collaborative effort.

It is also a far better indicator of what a single person is capable of.

In the case of Hitler's book, it outlined his beliefs, what he felt was a problem, what he felt needed to be done about said problem, and a basic roadmap of how he was going to get it done.

Neither Bible nor Q'uran are ever so specific, and both can be interpreted in as many ways as there are people to read them.

However, for causing general, non-predictable, widely varied destructive behaviours amongst those who are extreme in their beliefs, I have to agree with your assessment.

A far more enlightening book on Hitler's nature is the controversial "Hitler's Table Talk" which is apparently a collection of casual conversations between Hitler and various guests as recorded by Martin Bormann and his staff.

Edited by DogOnPorch

A far more enlightening book on Hitler's nature is the controversial "Hitler's Table Talk" which is apparently a collection of casual conversations between Hitler and various guests as recorded by Martin Bormann and his staff.

The most revealing book concerning Hiter was a photograhic collection of portraits...One chapter contained picture after picture of Hitler doing these Hamlet like poses and postering. What I figure out is that he was getting acting lessons - so I wonder who the real boss was?

The most revealing book concerning Hiter was a photograhic collection of portraits...One chapter contained picture after picture of Hitler doing these Hamlet like poses and postering. What I figure out is that he was getting acting lessons - so I wonder who the real boss was?

Yeah...right. Where are these supposed pictures?...not on the internet, I gather.

Argus,

I'm surprised to hear that anti-trust legislation is a concern of yours. Fair enough, but there were two large bookstore chains a few years ago and it wasn't sustainable.

It was certainly sustainable, or would have been if one of them hadn't had incompetent management.

Canada has always had multiple chains, up until the consolidation in the last couple of decades.

And anti-trust measures to improve competition have always been of interest to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind, i found this article online. Chapters/Indigo HAS banned Mein Kampf since 2001: http://www.fpp.co.uk/Hitler/MeinKampf/Canada_ban.html

Do you agree with this? I think its censorship and completely stupid.

God forbid the chain makes a choice to not carry material that is sickening and offensive. Since when did companies have to be morally relativistic and cater to all opinions, and treat them all as valid and equal? It's a smart and moral business decision.

Who the hell would want to read Mein Kampf, anyways? As if there aren't tens of thousands of more interesting and valuable books out there. What could anyone possibly learn from Mein Kampf that would be valuable?

Who the hell would want to read Mein Kampf, anyways? As if there aren't tens of thousands of more interesting and valuable books out there. What could anyone possibly learn from Mein Kampf that would be valuable?

Gain a 1st-hand understanding into the mind of one of history's most important figures.

It may be twisted, but it's an important historical work.

The problem is where the theory meets the reality. Who cares if Chapters won't sell a book. Just go somewhere else? Well.... where? Order it from Indigo! Same company. Smiths? Same company. Coles? Same company. The Book Company? Same people. Classic Bookshops? Same people.

Is censorship okay when it's done by an oligarchy instead of a government?

I don't think that censorship vs non-censorship is the problem here.

The real problem is that the Reisman-Schwartz monopoly in the retail bookmarket exists.

They should never have allowed Chapters/Indigo/Coles to be owned by the same people.

The real problem is that the Reisman-Schwartz monopoly in the retail bookmarket exists.

Perhaps you are a little confused about what a monopoly is. They don't have a monopoly..far from it.

http://www.toronto.com/searchResults?OrderBy=SearchRank+Desc&r=category%3ABook+Retailers&fq=Book+Retailers&csrefer=listing_243579

Edited by M.Dancer

God forbid the chain makes a choice to not carry material that is sickening and offensive. Since when did companies have to be morally relativistic and cater to all opinions, and treat them all as valid and equal? It's a smart and moral business decision.

I read Mein Kampf in high school. I did an essay/project on him for a history or english class. If you want insight to a madman's brain and somehow derive a plan to prevent these types of people from rising to power again, then for that reason alone it is worth reading. He was basicly a problem child and did not deal with many personal matters very well. This translated into some very horrendous actions by this man.

I think I'll read it again base on this thread alone.

Oleg

I suspect that a lot of literature depicting evil is being taken out of circulation. It might be an indirect and unconscious attempt at getting the world to forget evil so evil can rise again with greater ease.

Quite right. Learn history, or be doomed to repeat it.

• 1 month later...

The problem is where the theory meets the reality. Who cares if Chapters won't sell a book. Just go somewhere else? Well.... where? Order it from Indigo! Same company. Smiths? Same company. Coles? Same company. The Book Company? Same people. Classic Bookshops? Same people.

Is censorship okay when it's done by an oligarchy instead of a government?

You can get it from the library, locally owned bookstores, university bookstores, amazon.ca, and other online retailers. While I don't agree with Heather Reisman's assertion that it is "hate literature" and should be banned, I agree with her having the ability to decide what she will and will not sell.

This is especially so given Chapters is largely sheltered from foreign competition.
Chapters Indigo is in a much better financial position than Barnes & Nobles or Borders. There's no competition in Canada, not because of some artificial barrier to entry, but because of the inability of competitors to run their businesses as successfully. I agree that it would be nice, however, to see some competition. Read my comment more as disappointment that the American competitors are unable to compete.

This is ridiculous. A history teacher of mine had a copy of Mein Kampf in his dest... in class! And irony of all ironies, this same teacher was a jew!

So why did he have a copy of Mein Kampf? To better understand Hitler's mind and motives. Legitimate enough I'd say.

But it's nice to see that Chapters has learnt from the best when it comes to censorship. Goebels sure knew how to keep undesirable titles out of bookshops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never mind, i found this article online. Chapters/Indigo HAS banned Mein Kampf since 2001: http://www.fpp.co.uk/Hitler/MeinKampf/Canada_ban.html

Do you agree with this? I think its censorship and completely stupid.

I believe in freedom. So I think if the government were to ban the book it would be a violation of freedom of speech. But Chapters is not violating that. They own their stores, and they ought to have the freedom to carry which books they want for whatever reasons they want.