Help Obama Win The Heisman!

This a fascinating example of the power of the electronic media to project an image. Obama is seen in terms of a series of media events, beginning with his keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention that brought him into the national consciousness. Since then, he has triumphed over Hillary Clinton and John McCain not due to the policies he advocates (which are secondary), but because his image is so much more appealing. He really is great on TV, and now clips of him can also be viewed on sites like YouTube.

This continues into his presidency. His greatest achievements are rhetorical. He spoke in April about nuclear disarmament as a future goal (he wasn't the first American President to do so, but certainly the one who had the best media coverage); this is the main reason given for his Nobel Prize nomination. He has also talked about a different way of engaging with Israel/Palestine, the Middle East and the Muslim World; again, this has yet to materialize, but then again he's been President less than 9 months. Virtually all the other memorable Obama moments have been moments of media coverage or symoblic acts, such as his decision to offer his first interview as President to an Arab news network.

What all this demonstrates is that the Presidency is a role. Obama puts on a mask, that of the President (a figure of enormous respect) and acts accordingly. We think of the role of President as a serious one, yet the fact that he's assumed a mask means he's ready to play. He'll play along with other people who also wear their masks in the context of a "public arena" (which is itself a mental-social construct). Nowadays, people who love the electronic media love a President who is willing to put on that mask and play in front of the media because they feel more connected to him; they get involved when they watch him on TV. Not everyone can do that as well as Obama; Nixon wasn't all that good at it, and Kennedy was better on TV than Nixon (perhaps the major reason why Obama is compared with Kennedy, though not the one that occurs to most people).

The Nobel Prize business is fodder for political commentators (who are really entertainers), with the Democrats and Republicans playing their roles as expected behind their masks. I find all that rather tiresome because it's so predictible, but there are many people who really get involved in this and have visceral, gut reactions in favour of or against Obama, making it about him (read: the man they think he is) rather than seeing it as simply a matter of successful media promotion of a man's image and the decision of the Nobel Prize selection committee based upon their own biases. I don't find TV as interesting, so I don't feel as involved with Obama and all the political games (and they are games, playing with emotions and mindsets, though most people see them as more than that).

The trouble is that American politics follows such a predictible, repetitive pattern that I find it boring, and probably a lot of the Americans who don't vote also feel the same way. There are better entertainments. Is this irresponsbile? Maybe not. Maybe they're just seeing more clearly than the others that this is all a spectacle and that, if it doesn't interest them, they needn't feel involved.

What is this - the man hangs about and talks sweet accomplishing nothing what so ever and some lunitics decide to grant this person the Noble Peace prize - yet he is ready to lead another troop surge that increases the violence and deminishes the peace - insulting the very idea of this prize. Have the gods gone mad?

Come'on people, don't let the Nobel Peace Prize be his last underserved award! We can all help The One win the Heisman trophy too. Follow the link, and click on the 'type your nominee here.'

YES WE CAN!!!!!

ESPN

On some other boards they're calling it "WTF Friday".

there are a ton of whiney bitches about --- all complaining about Obama as if he had made the arrangements instead of being surprised by the selection --- I suppose they would rather have some smug fascist like Dick Cheney to win --

Nope. It just shouldn't be an affirmative action award.

• 2 weeks later...

BC - keep up the good work...to bad I am getting older...I would have been real good at this game - I would have made sure they played by the rules...better a late contributor than not at all...so put on your crown and stand tall...someone has to save the empire....from what I observe - all we are doing is prolonging he ultimate demise..ever wonder if the little bit you add to the mix makes things worse - God knows it does not change the bastards - or maybe it does a little and that is the part that is worth it...one glimmer of goodness - one spark in the darkness generates a world....better get out the guitar - did some painting lately - should sell it...I refuse to grow old and give up - young to the end and beyond...thanks BC. Talk later. *