Zombieland

bush_cheney2004

Okay...I wasn't expecting much in the way of originality from yet another zombie flick, but "Zombieland" is made in the finest tradition of the apocalyptic genre while incorporating rip roaring gags and pop culture spoofs. Anyone under 30 years of age won't get many of the jokes...hell, even "Thriller" was made over 25 years ago. It just helps to have a strong foundation in zombie protocol and the care and feeding of the Undead going back to George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead", which was decidedly not a comedy!

Woody Harrelson and a cast of undead unknowns (plus a ghostly surprise) make for a fast paced film that will entertain all but the most seriously uptight (or old in spirit). We sat in the front row for the largest dose from the soundtrack (lots of metal) and special effects carnage. You see, when it comes to zombies, you can get away with anything no matter how gruesom, because they are already dead.

Recommended, but not after a large meal.

I haven't even seen the trailer yet, but from the 10 seconds of a review I heard it sounds like a rip off of Sean of the Dead.

Sure, anything new will be hard pressed not to include elements from Romero's earlier work, or even the likes of "From Dusk 'Til Dawn", which basically follows the vampire schtick for the same conduit to gratuitous violence and mayhem. "Zombieland" never takes itself seriously, and the audience just waits for the next gag to laugh at out loud.

I remember being shocked at the sight of zombies gobbling down entrails back in the late 60's (Romero), but now it is so over the top as to be great comedy when the one-liners and attitude keeps pace.

This is not a chick flick or first date kind of film, but it does have a romantic story line.

This is not a chick flick or first date kind of film, but it does have a romantic story line.

So it is a rip off of Shaun of the Dead...

Shaun of the Dead is a 2004 British romantic zombie comedy film directed by Edgar Wright, starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and written by Pegg and Wright.

The plot focuses on Shaun, a young man who is attempting to get some kind of focus in his life as he reconciles with his ex-girlfriend and settles his various issues with his mother and stepfather. At the same time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies that is destroying society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_of_the_Dead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_of_the_Dead

Not exactly.....the protagonist's personal life and "coming of age" is not quite the same, but it does involve heterosexuals if that counts as a rip off! :lol:

You can't really make an original "Zombie" movie after the body of work to date. Ha! Get it? "Body of work"...sometimes I crack myself up.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Not at all...

It is true that both movies are about a relatively small group of people trying to save themselves during a zombie epidemic, but both movies have a completely different focus.

While Shaun of the Dead relied at least in part on wit and satire, Zombieland was a more direct, "in your face" movie that relies on shocks and basic or gross-out humour. (That's not necessarily a bad thing... Zombieland pulled it off very very well.)

And while there are similarities in overall concept, there are large differences in the details. For example, all the characters in Shaun of the Dead were long-time friends, while in Zombieland they were just 'thrown' together, giving a totally different group dynamic. Also, the character played by Woodie Harleson (the macho Zombie-Killer) had no couterpart in Shaun of the Dead.

The one that started it all...

Night of the Living Dead: George Romero, 1968

...it's not up here, yet, but looking forward to Zombieland.

Yea...Living Dead still gives me the chills, and the ending must be what sent me off on a life of cynicism. My kid wants to see all the subsequent zombie flicks after seeing Zombieland.....what a fun genre!

The 'new' Dawn of the Dead was quite good, I thought. The Resident Evil(s)...never quite as good as the actual video games, Mila Jovovich or not.

I haven't seen any of the RE flicks....and now I don't have to. I did like "From Dusk Till Dawn", but hell, that was a Tarantino joint with vampires and Salma Hayek (what's not to like about that !?).

Then there was The Return of the Living Dead plus those that followed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_the_Living_Dead

My wife has been going nuts with the various zombie books on the market. She suggests World War Z and Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zomb...t/dp/1594743347

....My wife has been going nuts with the various zombie books on the market. She suggests World War Z and Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zomb...t/dp/1594743347

Ha! My wife would have walked out of the theatre.

Makes you think though....if zombies are eating all that protein, do they have to go #2 a lot. Will they eat cats and dogs? The script possibilities are endless. Zombieland borrowed a fun vehicle from movies like Clerks (restroom vulnerability).

Ha! My wife would have walked out of the theatre.

Mine knows more about the Band of Brothers than I do...

:huh:

Makes you think though....if zombies are eating all that protein, do they have to go #2 a lot. Will they eat cats and dogs? The script possibilities are endless. Zombieland borrowed a fun vehicle from movies like Clerks (restroom vulnerability).

They couldn't eat the dog in Dawn of the Dead (remake 2004).

Saw Fido the other night on Space, I think. Not bad for a Canadian zombie flick. Great '50s atmosphere.

World War Z is in audio book form on YouTube. Might be worth a listen...there's some talk of a movie I understand. Written by Max Brooks...son of Mel.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! I have not laughed so hard at a movie in a long time. Aside from the hilariously over the top action, I really enjoyed the characters. I found myself really cheering for Columbus, and was hoping he would get together with Wichita even though that would be a total impossibility if he weren't literally the 2nd last man on earth.

The celebrity cameo is so awesome that it's hard to keep from mentioning it, but I will try to restrain myself to preserve the delightful surprise for people who haven't seen Zombieland yet.

-k

{"I'm so excited for you, because you're about to find out Who You Gonna Call."}

Not really, both have the rote zombie action and both are comedies, but they diverge from there.

It was great fun really.

Aniother very good and very overlooked zombie flick is recent and Canadian : Pontypool.

It is low budget, so the visible zombie element is minimal, but a couple of hours well invested.

• 4 months later...

The 'new' Dawn of the Dead was quite good, I thought.

Me too. And getting sick of the unimaginative remakes that spill across the universe daily, I wasn't expecting much. After all, Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" is a seminal horror film, a true classic.

But the remake didn't try to to redo Romero's film. The setting aside, it is actually a different movie in almost every way. And director Zack Snyder (who also made the execreble, ridiculous, dull, extended video-game-put-on-film, "300") did a really good job with "Dead."

The first fifteen minutes of the movie is itself a small masterpiece, in my opinion.

saw it, disappointed, never laughed...if you saw the trailers that was pretty much the entire movie...glad I only rented it on the Sat dish for $5 instead going to the theatre, not worth the price of a large popcorn...my kid loses it though but he's 9 so...

Edited by wyly

I enjoyed the first, but I was hoping for a better single player campaign. The multilayer aspect for L4D does not really excite me.

Yeah, a well rounded story mode like in Halo would have been really great, but L4D2 is great fun over xbox live. Making survival dependant on helping each other out really makes the multiplayer more engaging. You can't survive on your own, because the jockeys, hunters, and smokers are impossible to escape on your own once they have you.