Ignatieff pledges to erase deficit with no new taxes

jdobbin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff pledged Wednesday to erase the projected $50 billion federal deficit if elected into government -- and to do so without raising taxes.

Ignatieff held a news conference in Sudbury, Ont., offering more details about why he has decided to no longer support the Conservative government and outlining the tack he will take if an election is triggered.

We are getting a clearer idea what the election will be on now.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it to stop the Stimulus money from being spent becuase I thought he wanted it spent? I for one thought it great we are now out of recession. Maybe it is to Robb CPP like they did EI. He better tells us how or his plan will be laughed at and why would he not share this knowledge with the PM it seems what is best for Canada.

Look the talking points are down I will give you hint they are the sameones used when Nixon made his "secret plan" promise.

Edited by punked

I like this guy less and less every time he opens his mouth.

"We're not spending enough stimulus money fast enough, nor are we giving out EI money easily enough. Mr. Harper hasn't done enough to help Canadians out of the recession. I'm going to make sure EI and stimulus money is made more available, but at the same time I'm going to eliminate the deficit and not raise taxes." :rolleyes:

Yes, it will be on Ignatieffs lifelong achievements as a proud Canadian, including his commitment to a coalition.

No it going to be on not making tough decisions or laying out clear plans. This time only the NDP will have a platform. The Conservatives and Liberals will bounce from town to town promising hockey rinks for all, no deficit, no debt, strong GDP, new Roads, no new policy, unless it is tough on crime and terrorists. This is getting old I liked that Dion had a plan, I liked the red book, I don't like being lied too. That goes for Harper too.

Here`s a campaign issue for Liberals only to be used in the event that things turn nasty. Harper`s demonstrated racism in refusing help to stranded Canadians abroad. It is not coincidence that all victims are citizens of color.

America sees fit to elect Obama president while Harper`s govt treats citizens of color as second class Canadians.

Here`s a campaign issue for Liberals only to be used in the event that things turn nasty. Harper`s demonstrated racism in refusing help to stranded Canadians abroad. It is not coincidence that all victims are citizens of color.

America sees fit to elect Obama president while Harper`s govt treats citizens of color as second class Canadians.

And the NDP wrote a bill to stop that and the Liberals turned it down. Not a winning issue for the Liberals again. By not taking any stance so far they don't get to claim the high ground.

And the NDP wrote a bill to stop that and the Liberals turned it down. Not a winning issue for the Liberals again. By not taking any stance so far they don't get to claim the high ground.

You can`t be serious. Legislating against attitudes is unworkable. Harper`s demonstrated racism is entirely appropriate to a group whose social outlook is frozen in the 1950`s. Turning Conservatives out of office is a superior option compared to your alternative: relying on Jack Layton`s good intentions.

1) Ignatieff the Human Rights guy was silent on the issue.

2) The problem with Canadians stranded abroad is not the coloUr of their skin. The Liberals didn't act any different when torture was occurring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sampson_(author)

He was imprisoned and tortured for two years and seven months, and finally released and permitted to leave Saudi Arabia, along with several of his co-accused, on August 8, 2003.

In 2005 Sampson published a book about his experience entitled Confessions of an Innocent Man: Torture and Survival in a Saudi Prison.[2]

Sampson has repeatedly criticised the Canadian government for its actions during his incarceration. Sampson states that his torturers were present at every meeting he had with Canadian diplomats and government representatives, who never insisted they leave and indeed accepted the Saudis' claims of Sampson's guilt, despite the lack of evidence, inconsistencies, and the statements to the contrary by Sampson and his supporters. He also alleges that he repeatedly informed embassy officials and Canadian medical professionals that he was being tortured, but to no avail.

Edited by madmax

I like this guy less and less every time he opens his mouth.

"We're not spending enough stimulus money fast enough, nor are we giving out EI money easily enough. Mr. Harper hasn't done enough to help Canadians out of the recession. I'm going to make sure EI and stimulus money is made more available, but at the same time I'm going to eliminate the deficit and not raise taxes." :rolleyes:

Back on topic of Deficit vs Human Rights....

What is quoted above is not possible.

You can`t be serious. Legislating against attitudes is unworkable. Harper`s demonstrated racism is entirely appropriate to a group whose social outlook is frozen in the 1950`s. Turning Conservatives out of office is a superior option compared to your alternative: relying on Jack Layton`s good intentions.

I can be serious when you twittle your thumbs while it is happening and you don't open your mouth you don't get to run on it. See that is the thing in order to be on the high ground you need to take and speak out before the poll numbers on the subject come in not after.

You can`t be serious. Legislating against attitudes is unworkable.
Competence of public servants and their rules to conduct and aid stranded overseas Canadians can certainly be legislated.
Harper`s demonstrated racism is entirely appropriate to a group whose social outlook is frozen in the 1950`s. Turning Conservatives out of office is a superior option compared to your alternative: relying on Jack Layton`s good intentions.
Electing Liberals and maintaining incompetence or bad policies isn't going to make a hill of beans difference.

This is the failure of Canadian overseas services.

Harper`s demonstrated racism in refusing help to stranded Canadians abroad.

I'd like to hear your argument on this. How has he demonstrated racism?

It is not coincidence that all victims are citizens of color.

Who are "all of the victims"? Is Amanda Lindhout a victim?

I see you keep spelling "colour" the American way... Michael, is that you?

You seem to think that PM Harper knows everything that is going on at all times. Do you understand how huge the government is and how many people it employs?

It employs this amount of people because of the massive amounts of different little things that need to be done. PM Harper cannot be expected to know whats going on, in minute detail, every second of everyday. It's impossible no one could.

The decision you're speaking of had nothing to do with the PMO what so ever. So he could have done nothing to stop it. Your issue should be with the embassy office that made this decision and the local police where this transgression took place.

/off topic rant

@OP This is more evidence that the man has zero plan and wishes to do so with shoelaces and bubble gum. Now that PM Harper has done the hard work and the economy hs showed signs of recouping he thinks he'll just come in and steal the Tories thunder?

Not going to happen. Ignatieff has yet to lead the PM in any poll yet he thinks he'll magically win.

When he loses will he pout and try to form a coalition government again?

Edited by Mr.Canada

Lets not forget that the Libs paid off 45 billion debt and if they hadn't where would Harper be now? I think before any elections the government should open the books and lets us voters know how well or how poorly they did the job. Before anyone says anything about Harper paying down the debt, it doesn't matter now because the interest on the debt has eaten it away. This government never admits their errors and there's plenty of them. I believe they will lose seats this time around.

Lets not forget that the Libs paid off 45 billion debt and if they hadn't where would Harper be now? I think before any elections the government should open the books and lets us voters know how well or how poorly they did the job. Before anyone says anything about Harper paying down the debt, it doesn't matter now because the interest on the debt has eaten it away. This government never admits their errors and there's plenty of them. I believe they will lose seats this time around.

Yah they did by not getting rid of the GST like they promised. Adding new taxe, and creating the HST. Ohhhhh and cutting Transfer payments so the debt in all provinces went up. Thanks. That isn't something I would vote for again.

Edited by punked

Lets not forget that the Libs paid off 45 billion debt and if they hadn't where would Harper be now?

No the Candian tax payer, paid 45 billion dollars of debt down, with major cuts to programs , and services.....

Lets all not forget we spent most of the current harper debt to keep us out of the resession....a plan that all parties agreed to or had similar plans....

I for one am not ready for another liberal plan to reduce debt...

Not sure , i don't think it will be as aggressive as the liberals plan....besides i'm not convince this recession is over just yet, and i'm not convinced that an aggresive reduction plan is what we need now, lets finish off what we started...

Edited by Army Guy