Good Integration

A lot of people speak about it, I'm curious to have your thoughts on that.

I would say that the immigrant has to:

Speak English (French if he's in Quebec in my opinion).

Know a little about Canada's culture (food, radio shows, t.v., history, politics, economy, geography)

Have Canadian friends.

Not only speak with people from his country of origin.

After a certain time feel Canadian (tough this is not the most important one).

Respect the law, if you don't respect it you could pay the consequences, whoever you are and wherever you're from.

--------

Also, do you think that to be Canadian you need to be White and Christian. I'm curious on that one.

Discuss.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Another I would add is "be prepared to tolerate others."

-I am reminded of a town in England where a bronze statue of a boar has been in the town square for centuries; it is the town's symbol. A couple of years ago recent immigrants to the town began petitioning for the boar to be removed on religious grounds: swine are unholy in their religion.

-or, if you chose to live in a land where the native women walk about with exposed arms and ankles, don't tell them that your beliefs require them to cover themselves. That ain't gonna fly.

Another I would add that's probably covered under "respect the law" but merits special mention: don't come to Canada to carry on a war from your home country. If you come to Canada and the first thing you do once you get settled is to start raising funds for the militant independence group back home, or sending luggage-bombs on airplanes packed with people heading to a country you've got a gripe with, that ain't gonna work either.

-k

Edited by kimmy

...and Canadians aren't allowed to carry ceremonial daggers in public.

...and Canadian kids aren't allowed to carry ceremonial daggers to school.

...and Canadians aren't allowed to carry ceremonial daggers on airplanes.

...and Canadians aren't allowed to wear any type of headdress in the Legion.

...and Canadians are allowed to celebrate Christmas with concerts & plays in school.

...and Canadians don't think that caning a women for drinking beer is okay.

...never mind. This would take all night.

Some research papers I read for an essay last year suggested immigrants are much more likely to self identify as Canadian than they are to think that other Canadians think of them as Canadian. I wonder if that perception is true or false.

A lot of people speak about it, I'm curious to have your thoughts on that.

I would say that the immigrant has to:

Know a little about Canada's culture (food, radio shows, t.v., history, politics, economy, geography)

Have Canadian friends.

Not only speak with people from his country of origin.

Respect the law, if you don't respect it you could pay the consequences, whoever you are and wherever you're from.

--------

Also, do you think that to be Canadian you need to be White and Christian. I'm curious on that one.

Discuss.

thankfully for immigrants.... becoming canadian takes NOTHING... I'm not even sure speaking english is that indispensible... even our universities today have remedial english/french (canada/quebec) classes for undergrads...

I mean really save perhaps the law... (unless certain areas of canada don't switch to immigrant coddling laws ... such as sharia law, which is likely in the foreseeable future anyways)

in essence being canadian doesn't mean anything... it means being an indistinguishable replaceable human atom) it simply means the place where one happens to reside in and pay taxes at the moment (although most third worlders pay very little of them if any).

As for Canadians being white? That's a notable disadvantage in this country... it means not being eligible for any form of handout or reverse discrimination "affirmative action", and it means being the beast of burden and contempt of everyone else... actually being a heterosexual white male is (christian or not). If you,re white, you can't turn on the TV without seeing others like you acting like mildly retarded dolts (peter griffin, homer simpson, king of queens etc) or your news media spitting on everything you do as a identifiable group.

Actually to even THINK about saying that being canadian has a White racial connotation could probably result in a white person loosing his job, being sued, assaulted or imprisoned... or at the very least being a social outcast... so...

Edited by lictor616

So if you're not White you can't be Canadian, is that what you're saying smart boy ?

To me it appeared to be sarcasm directed your way for posting a thread like this. Good integration is a fairly simple concept and doesn't require people to define it.

Good integration, I would say, means only becoming a law-abiding and 'productive' member of society. Bad integration would be becoming a law-scorning 'drain' on society.

If you come here to work, live and prosper in Canada and you're not taking advantage of its laws and customs, I'd say you're integrating fine.

...and Canadian kids aren't allowed to carry ceremonial daggers to school.

Actually, yes they are.

...and Canadians are allowed to celebrate Christmas with concerts & plays in school.

Well, no. Canadians do not impose a religion on others. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion are the Canadian way.

No we don't, and that's not happening in Canada.

A Canadian will ...

Have Canadian friends.

Speak with and have friends from other countries of origin.

Define what it means to "feel Canadian".

--------

A Canadian is not necessarily White and Christian.

Every Rabbie Burns I skien dhu

No one is...

Many Canadians have never even been to a legion

Our does....and incorporate channukah as well....

Unless they have a "safe" word...

...never mind. This would take all night.

Took only a second

Edited by M.Dancer

A Canadian will ...

Have Canadian friends.

Speak with and have friends from other countries of origin.

Define what it means to "feel Canadian".

--------

A Canadian is not necessarily White and Christian.

Be able to say, "In my heart, I'm Canadian"

Be able to say, "In my heart, I'm Canadian"

I find it interesting that new Canadians easily and quickly identify as "Canadian", since they've worked toward that goal for some time. However, they often find that 'white Christian' Canadians do NOT see them as Canadian. In other words, we have the problem, not them.

So ... let's revise that ...

"In my heart, I feel that all citizens are Canadian, regerdless of their skin colour, culture/religion, country of origin or recency of immigration."

That's a Canadian.

Edited by tango

"In my heart, I feel that all citizens are Canadian, regerdless of their skin colour, culture/religion, country of origin or recency of immigration."[/b][/i]

That's a Canadian.

That leaves out the Jehovah's Witnesses I think....

I find it interesting that new Canadians easily and quickly identify as "Canadian", since they've worked toward that goal for some time. However, they often find that 'white Christian' Canadians do NOT see them as Canadian. In other words, we have the problem, not them.

So ... let's revise that ...

"In my heart, I feel that all citizens are Canadian, regerdless of their skin colour, culture/religion, country of origin or recency of immigration."

That's a Canadian.

A Canadian is everything which is the same as being nothing.