What are the important cultural differences between Canada and the US?

The post you responded to was obviously.....sorry, obviously to everyone but you , a reply to someone else since only one word was changed.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure what you meant by "one word" but thanks.

I feel I have made a sincere effort to get to know our northern (or in the case of Alaska eastern and even southern, and in the case of Maine even western) neighbor.

Here is another difference.

Canadians don't 'hate' America, just your government. I am sure most of you are fine upstanding citizens with good morals and loves your fellow man. Good thing the few Americans we have on here don't actually represent real Americans... or do they?

Guest American Woman

Canadians don't 'hate' America, just your government. I am sure most of you are fine upstanding citizens with good morals and loves your fellow man. Good thing the few Americans we have on here don't actually represent real Americans... or do they?

What a tired line ...

Edited by American Woman

bush_cheney2004, on 17 Jun 2013 - 4:18 PM, said:

Here is another difference.....Canadians see/want American stuff and services not available in Canada. Cross border shopping is a Charter Right.

Americans just want the raw materials from Canada to help make the stuff that Canadians be wanting.

While the label reads 'Made in China'? Gotcha.

Canadians like to define themselves at "not American", and fight "Americanization" with all their might.

Then they try to get American Netflix ! :D

I think that might be one of the cultural misconceptions and mentality some south of the 49th like hold.

Another would be to talk to a person without actually addressing it to that person. I believe you are familiar with that style, no?

I know some Canadians who do hate America in general (which is ridiculous btw). Also, it's Americans who vote in government (a good chunk of it anyways) and hold them to account, so they are responsible for it's behaviour to some extent, and at the very least how they respond to actions by the US gov., hold them to account, and demand changes when necessary.

I'll patiently await American Woman's typical reactionary reply.

I know some Canadians who do hate America in general (which is ridiculous btw). Also, it's Americans who vote in government (a good chunk of it anyways) and hold them to account, so they are responsible for it's behaviour to some extent, and at the very least how they respond to actions by the US gov., hold them to account, and demand changes when necessary.

I'll patiently await American Woman's typical reactionary reply.

Not sure if I am a complete cynic, or everything does really suck. :D

Guest American Woman

Why? That's just how you took it, at least with my list. I happen to think the part you quoted is a good thing on the US's part, not a bad thing.

I was referring to the whole post, hence the [...] following the beginning of the quote, but yeah, thinking we're the best country in the world is a real compliment. :rolleyes: As if Canadians don't think that about Canada, at any rate. So yeah, that is how I took it, because that's how it comes across. What part wasn't insulting to Americans? The part where we are loud and obnoxious to Canada's polite? The part where we're violent, to the point that we fear a gun being pulled if we give another driver the finger? The part where we only partake of our media, and know nothing of the rest of the world while Canadians are so very knowledgeable? And then there's the "black guilt" claim. What utter nonsense. Not to mention your praise of smallc's list.

You both sound as if you just attended a mini course in Canadian Stereotypes About Americans 101.

Edited by American Woman

How much of Canada's and for that matter Europe's ability to afford social programs beyond what the U.S. offers is due to the U.S.'s "defense umbrella"? You can inveigh against our evil, warmongering government all you want. At the end of the day life is good because of us, in large part. Not in spite of us.

You both sound as if you just attended a mini course in Canadian Stereotypes About Americans 101.

Right, but I think many Canadians who actually live in the U.S. can recognize and distinguish between "different" and "better" either way. Canadians (and other nationals) travel and work in the U.S. to "make it big" or otherwise seek opportunities that are lacking back home. They vote with their feet regardless of what they may say (or type).

How much of Canada's and for that matter Europe's ability to afford social programs beyond what the U.S. offers is due to the U.S.'s "defense umbrella"? You can inveigh against our evil, warmongering government all you want. At the end of the day life is good because of us, in large part. Not in spite of us.

And yet we have more Americans on food stamps than there are Canadians. I hear it's so good that Mexicans are starting to head back to Mexico because the jobs there are getting better. Or is that a factor of the job sector in the USA simply reaching a new low making a previous crappy situation paradise.

Either way, you will make money no matter what, being a lawyer and all. Even when it's bad it's good, right?

And last time I looked, Europe has problems paying it's bills, and how many bailouts did the feds give the corrupt banks while putting the cost directly upon the shoulders of hard working Americans just like yourself?

I really hope the USA's gravy train keeps running, but that umbrella looks like it's getting smaller. So please continue to be a hard working chump for us free loading Canadians.

When we are total dicks like this to each other, there really might not be any cultural differences between us at all.

Edited by GostHacked

What part wasn't insulting to Americans? The part where we are loud and obnoxious to Canada's polite? The part where we're violent, to the point that we fear a gun being pulled if we give another driver the finger? The part where we only partake of our media, and know nothing of the rest of the world while Canadians are so very knowledgeable? And then there's the "black guilt" claim. What utter nonsense. Not to mention your praise of smallc's list.

You take things WAAAAAAAAY too personally. And of course the US has no "black guilt", what was I thinking!!!

Scorecard:

- Americans are much more patriotic. History is more important to them in schooling, and they are brought up to the think they're the best country in the world (so my mother says, who spend years of her childhood in US schools).

What's insulting about this? Where did I imply anything negative?

- The US is more of a melting pot, while Canada is more of a "cultural mosaic" where multiculturalism is encouraged at the expense of nationalism.

Nothing insulting here, it's even a good thing IMO. I wish Canada were much more of a melting pot! "Multiculturalism" is bullocks.

- Americans are more religious, especially in the public sphere, while Canada is more secular.

No insult here.

- Canadians tend to be more reserved, quiet, timid people (except for Quebecers, they're party animals), some say more polite. Americans tend to be more boisterous (some say loud and obnoxious), more willing to speak their mind, yet at the same time more friendly and willing to talk to you (if in the right social setting).

One thing that is a negative, the rest is positive toward US.

- Americans have a history of violence (ie: a country born out of violent revolution, plus the 19th century civil war and the massive military built-up post-WWII), so I would say they were a more violent and militaristic people. They have a huge gun culture and gun rights/ownership is important to many Americans. Canadians have not been exposed to the civil wars or militaristic culture Americans have, and guns aren't as important.

Negative.

- Canadians can give somebody the finger on the highway without being afraid of having a gun pointed at them (see above).

Negative. I was even told by my American friend while I was visiting the US to stop making silly faces at the cars next to me!

- Americans have such vibrant media that they tend to culturally inward-focused, meaning they consume much of their own media and thus are less exposed to what is happening in the rest of the world (in the arts, or otherwise). Canada makes less of its own media, and consumes a lot of American media, plus other media from around the world. An example is music: Americans listen to a lot of American musicians, plus a bunch of musicians from other parts of the world, while Canadians listen to American music + worldwide music...+ Canadian music most Americans will never be exposed to.

Anything negative here is implied by the reader, not by me. If you take this as "The US is inferior because it's "less worldly", then that's your problem.

- US has "black guilt" syndrome. ie: Every TV show has to have a token black person in it, otherwise someone will scream "racism".

Sort of negative, but mostly just annoying.

From Wikileaks last year......

Americans face “insidious negative popular stereotyping” in Canada, perpetuated by CBC programs like the drama series The Border, officials from the U.S. embassy in Ottawa reported to their bosses in Washington in diplomatic cables set to be released by WikiLeaks this week.

Another of the raft of documents suggests that Canada has an “inherent inferiority complex” when it comes to its relationship with the United States, while one cable prepared in advance of President Barack Obama’s visit to Ottawa last year suggests Prime Minister Stephen Harper stood to “gain politically from public and policy association with the U.S. President.”

Guest American Woman

From Wikileaks last year......

Americans face “insidious negative popular stereotyping” in Canada [...]

Obviously WikiLeaks "takes things WAAAAAAAAY too personally............" B)

Americans face “insidious negative popular stereotyping” in Canada, perpetuated by CBC programs like the drama series The Border, officials from the U.S. embassy in Ottawa reported to their bosses in Washington in diplomatic cables set to be released by WikiLeaks this week.

I think it has more to do with shows like we see with Honey Boo Boo, American Hogger and COPS that determine the stereotypes we use. Since us pesky Canadians do nothing but consume American media.

Cept for the ones who couldnt care less about netflix...

Maybe, but often it will just be some other aspect of "American culture" they desire. Netflix is a perfect example of an American product/service that, due to licensing and other distribution arrangements, is offered to the Canadian market with fewer titles. Wanting this American service in the first place is telling enough, but really wanting the American version of the service says even more.

Funny part is that this Americano uses Netflix to get access to foreign/foreign language content !

Well, I learned something today. Apparently all of the cultural differences between our nations are negative on the American end. :D

I will try to balance out the list:

In many ways, Canadians are more arrogant than Americans, because we often boast about how much better we are than the Americans. (I partially agree with our Senior Mocker - but would not go as far as saying that Canadian identity is defined by comparisons to the USA). A common boast by Canadians is that we are less arrogant than Americans - to me this IS arrogance and hypocrisy at its finest!

If viewed from outside our continent, English Canadians and Americans are seen as having the same culture. Our day-to-day lives are really not that different.

From the inside, the cultural differences between different regions of a country are greater than the differences between Canada and USA. For example, those living on the Pacific coast, Rocky Mountains, Great Plains, Atlantic Coast. Also, our countries share many common sub-cultures: Rednecks, Metrosexuals, ethnic communities, Soccer moms, gamers, "progressives", etc...

IMO, the most significant cultural difference is the presence of a French-speaking culture in Canada.