What are the important cultural differences between Canada and the US?

You don't? You had a violent revolution that killed many, many people because you cared so much about being treated unfairly, but then you had no issue keeping slaves at the same time. Nor have you had much issues with treating 'other people' unfairly over the last two hundred years.

That's OK.....slaves were property, just like in Canada.

Guest American Woman

Nope, you didn't.

Yeah, I did.

So you say. Doesn't mean it was.

Well there you go, then - a cultural difference. I happen to think taxation without representation and taxing some citizens more IS unfair. I suppose you would be ok if your government decided, without any say from your province, to tax y'all higher than the rest of Canada? Here's the thing, just because you might think that's fair, doesn't mean it is. Edited by American Woman

Yeah, I did.

Show me where.

I happen to think taxation without representation... IS unfair.

Not for a colony.

I suppose you would be ok if your government decided, without any say from your province, to tax y'all higher than the rest of Canada?

Provinces aren't colonies.

.....Well there you go, then - a cultural difference. I happen to think taxation without representation and taxing some citizens more IS unfair. I suppose you would be ok if your government decided, without any say from your province, to tax y'all higher than the rest of Canada? Here's the thing, just because you might think that's fair, doesn't mean it is.

Yes....there was identical disagreement between republican colonists and loyalists. We all know how that turned out. Happy Independence Day !

Guest American Woman

Yes....there was identical disagreement between republican colonists and loyalists. We all know how that turned out. Happy Independence Day !

Right back at you!! :) I love the Fourth of July - Everyone is in a party mood, strangers are friends. It's all good!

Guest American Woman

Interesting read, notice how the claims are supported with external studies/links:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/06/28/99-reasons-why-its-better-to-be-canadian/

and before b_c says it, here's a reason why its better to be American:

-Americans have no need for comparing themselves to others

The way I see it, when you no longer have the need to compare yourselves to the U.S. to make yourselves feel good, in this case, superior, perhaps that's when it will truly be great to be Canadian - but it's not better than being American. I love being American, and it's not because I think we have it up over you or any other number of countries I could mention. I appreciate my country for what it is and what it offers me. If you need to feel it's "better" to be Canadian, so be it. I could argue some of those conclusions, perhaps it would make for interesting discussion, but people see what they want to see, and they'll see it from their point of view, which doesn't mean that's the way it is all around. I think Canadians should think that it's great to be Canadian, but I do feel it's sad that you have to compare yourselves to the U.S., and cut down the U.S., in order to feel that way. I think that would be the worst thing about "being Canadian."

The way I see it, when you no longer have the need to compare yourselves to the U.S. to make yourselves feel good, in this case, superior, perhaps that's when it will truly be great to be Canadian - but it's not better than being American. I love being American, and it's not because I think we have it up over you or any other number of countries I could mention. I appreciate my country for what it is and what it offers me. If you need to feel it's "better" to be Canadian, so be it. I could argue some of those conclusions, perhaps it would make for interesting discussion, but people see what they want to see, and they'll see it from their point of view, which doesn't mean that's the way it is all around. I think Canadians should think that it's great to be Canadian, but I do feel it's sad that you have to compare yourselves to the U.S., and cut down the U.S., in order to feel that way. I think that would be the worst thing about "being Canadian."

Sure, both Canada and the USA would be even better places if we were less arrogant. Nobody chooses in which country they are born into so we may as well be happy with what we got and not put down others that happen to be born in another country.

Guest American Woman

Sure, both Canada and the USA would be even better places if we were less arrogant.

That isn't what I was getting at at all.

Nobody chooses in which country they are born into so we may as well be happy with what we got and not put down others that happen to be born in another country.

It's one thing to put them down; it's quite another to find your sense of well being from doing so. Edited by American Woman

That isn't what I said at all.

I know, I did not mean to imply that it was. Are you disagreeing with me on the point I made?

It's one thing to put them down; it's quite another to find your sense of well being from doing so.

I would think that anytime someone puts another down another it is a way to feel superior. Why else put someone down?

Guest American Woman

I know, I did not mean to imply that it was. Are you disagreeing with me on the point I made?

I'm not sure why you are bringing it up rather than responding to the point I was making, which you ignored.

I would think that anytime someone puts another down another it is a way to feel superior. Why else put someone down?

Generally speaking, that's likely true for the most part. So that being the case, it speaks of the opposite of the claim, wouldn't you say? IE: If Canada has to cut down the U.S. in order to proclaim it's greatness, wouldn't that mean that Canada really doesn't feel it's that great?

Guest American Woman

It's hard to compare yourself to others when you don't think any others exist. ^_^

........Its only when talking to Americans do we do it. We make it simple for them to understand.

Are these comments examples of what it takes to feel good about being Canadian?

Guest American Woman

My comment is pretty clear and infers not one whit about any feelings whatsoever.

In light of the discussion, I would say it's a perfect example of Canadians needing to cut down Americans in order to feel good about themselves, so I can't help but wonder if such comments make y'all feel good about yourselves. Edited by American Woman

Apparently American Woman has more insight into how Canadians think and feel than Canadians themselves do. For someone that gets completely bent out of shape when people speak for her, that's rather presumptuous and quite hypocritical.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman

This? Again?

I'm not the one who posted the link about Canadians comparing themselves to Americans as proof of how great Canada is - and I'm not the one who pointed out that Americans have no such need - but by all means, single me out. :)

Apparently American Woman has more insight into how Canadians think and feel than Canadians themselves do. For someone that gets completely bent out of shape when people speak for her, that's rather presumptuous and quite hypocritical.

See above. I've spoken for no one. Odd (not!) that you would be taking issue with me when I'm responding to a link - posted by a Canadian, in case the obvious escaped you. Your personal commentary about me is rather off the wall and quite ignorant.

Edited by American Woman

I've spoken for no one.

You haven't?

it's a perfect example of Canadians needing to cut down Americans in order to feel good about themselves

This isn't an example of you having some sort of psychic probe into how Canadians must feel about themselves?

when you no longer have the need to compare yourselves to the U.S. to make yourselves feel good

And another example of you speaking for Canadians and their need to feel good about themselves.

that's when it will truly be great to be Canadian

Or you speaking for when it will be great to be a Canadian.

I think Canadians should think that it's great to be Canadian, but I do feel it's sad that you have to compare yourselves to the U.S., and cut down the U.S., in order to feel that way. I think that would be the worst thing about "being Canadian."

And even more speaking for Canadians about what they should and shouldn't think and how they should or shouldn't think.

I just find it terribly ironic that you make no hesitations about jumping all over that Report button when someone allegedly speaks for you, but you have no problem at all generalizing about Canadians and their thoughts and feelings.