The Harper legacy: Politics is war

Has Obama switched his mustard? You are so funny. Every post is a laugh riot. You should be on Fox Late nite!

I wish.

But speaking of Obama. Considering your distain for budget deficits and all, and specifically Harper's $50 billion dollar deficit. You must be extremely critical and even more angry of Obama's $2 trillion dollar deficit this year, and his projected trilliion dollar deficits for the next several years. Right?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish.

I'm sure the mustard jokes would go far there.

But speaking of Obama. Considering your distain for budget deficits and all, and specifically Harper's $50 billion dollar deficit. You must be extremely critical and even more angry of Obama's $2 trillion dollar deficit this year, and his projected trilliion dollar deficits for the next several years. Right?

Totally upset. It is why I am very interested in hearing how the deficit will be cut back as it was in the Clinton years.

I'm glad to hear now that the TARP money is being paid back fast.

Keep in mind that Bush led the US into the recession and started the massive stimulus spending in the first place.

Obama has f'd the US tax payer, but Bush led the way.

Keep in mind that Bush led the US into the recession and started the massive stimulus spending in the first place.

Bush also "led" the US out of recession. So that makes him even.

Obama has f'd the US tax payer, but Bush led the way.

Bush taught Obama how to "f" ? Interesting.....

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sure they do. They attack through the media and through paid posters. All parties are guilty of this. Politics has always been war.
War perhaps, but fought by different rules.

If anyone introduced the "go for the jugular" style to politics, it was Chretien:

Because Chretien had the political instincts you need to win. He was the "little-guy," the street fighter, who would show no mercy and go for the jugular when he had the chance.

Chretien’s history is replete with examples. He showed no mercy in beating Paul Martin for the leadership in 1990 despite their vicious convention fight over Meech Lake accord support. Chretien won three successive majority governments, making him one of the most successful Liberal campaigners ever — a skill that was most famously demonstrated when he crushed Stockwell Day in 2000. And his team showed no mercy in doing so — remember Barney the dinosaur?

Link

Perhaps Dobbin's anger with Harper is just an attempt to deflect attention from current Liberal failure at the game the Liberals invented.

Well, I al somewhat partisan, bu I have to admit that both parties attacked...Harper's attacks between campaigns I don't like though.

The attacks would be fine if they were issued based, they are not though. These folks are trying to make this stuff personal, that is in my view a degrading means of conducting political operations.

Perhaps Dobbin's anger with Harper is just an attempt to deflect attention from current Liberal failure at the game the Liberals invented.

I have no anger towards Harper. I just can't imagine what goes on in his head when he thinks the same failed strategy will work to deliver him a majority.

Do you think he is going to get his majority by the repeating ads?

I have no anger towards Harper. I just can't imagine what goes on in his head when he thinks the same failed strategy will work to deliver him a majority.

Do you think he is going to get his majority by the repeating ads?

Nope, I think that he is headed toward an election with an empty clip in a defective gun.

Nope, I think that he is headed toward an election with an empty clip in a defective gun.

I think if he stuck to his knitting on a variety of issues, he would have had a majority by now. He should have tried to keep a steady hand on finances by controlling spending and moved constructively on issues that were important to him.

Often, he appears to want to fight rather than govern.

Edited by jdobbin

I think if he stuck to his knitting on a variety of issues, he would have had a majority by now. He should have tried to keep a steady hand on finances by controlling spending and moved constructively on issues that were important to him, he would have had his majority.

Often, he appears to want to fight rather than govern.

Possibly. On the other hand, his values and opinions seem to change with the direction of the political wind. Remember that this guy was one of the author's of the "Alberta Firewall" letter. He once was part of the National Citizen's Coalition. He was once an Alliance Party member. All these things are in the dumpster because they do not let him acquire the power he craves.

Possibly. On the other hand, his values and opinions seem to change with the direction of the political wind. Remember that this guy was one of the author's of the "Alberta Firewall" letter. He once was part of the National Citizen's Coalition. He was once an Alliance Party member. All these things are in the dumpster because they do not let him acquire the power he craves.

He was even once a Liberal.

It is hard for him to peg a "just visiting" handle on Ignatieff when he has jumped to so many parties.

He was even once a Liberal.

It is hard for him to peg a "just visiting" handle on Ignatieff when he has jumped to so many parties.

I think it is safe to say Iggy with handle him roughly at the first opportunity. I don't really expect that Harper will be dumb enough to start slinging directly. He may have people around him dumb enough to try though.

Harper is doomed, but we'll see how Iggy does. Other than the proposed EI changes I've had a rather favorable opinion of him to be honest. He's the sort of Liberal that I could vote for. My problem is I can't seem to peg him down on where he stands on a good number of issues.

To me it appears he's deliberately made sure his platform is unclear so that he can define himself on his own terms on a time of his own choosing. It's likely a pretty smart move, but until I know what his plans are I have to reserve judgement.

Iggy, pay down our debt and I'll vote for you.

Maybe Iggy will round up Captain Canada, Little Pierre and a few select others on a campaign trail. What he really needs is more like Bob Rae, people that can deliver cross party votes. That is the way to a majority.

Tobin for Atlantic Canada, Trudeau for Quebec, Rae for Ontario, then he needs the west. The west is where he will have trouble, Harper still has much strength there.

The attacks would be fine if they were issued based, they are not though. These folks are trying to make this stuff personal, that is in my view a degrading means of conducting political operations.

Issue based in the era of spin doctors? The problem with that is that politicians try to avoid taking firm stands on any issue unless it's cut and dried as to what their supporters think of it. What kind of issue could the tories realistically have put out ads on given the Liberals, so far as I know, have no policies or priorities. I mean, there's no THERE there. It's "Vote for ignatieff cause he's smart and not Dion". If Ignatieff came out and supported some big, grand, stupid policy like Dion's green scheme, or Jumping Jack Layton's tax industry into bankruptcy idea there'd be something there to take on. But as it is the Liberals don't really stand for anything.

That being said, I think the ads are dumb.

Maybe Iggy will round up Captain Canada, Little Pierre and a few select others on a campaign trail. What he really needs is more like Bob Rae, people that can deliver cross party votes. That is the way to a majority.

Tobin for Atlantic Canada, Trudeau for Quebec, Rae for Ontario, then he needs the west. The west is where he will have trouble, Harper still has much strength there.

If you examine the numbers, where there is Liberal support, it's concentrated among Francophones and immigrant/ethnic groups, along with a lot in the welfare provinces - excuse me, the atlantic - who basically are voting for who they think will give them the most pogey.

Remove the support of those groups and the Liberals don't even make official opposition. It's not even clear they'd outperform the NDP.

Somewhere along the way in their lust to cater to specific voter blocks, the Liberals lost touch with the common man. I don't see professor Ignatieff being the one to bring them back into the fold.

If you examine the numbers, where there is Liberal support, it's concentrated among Francophones and immigrant/ethnic groups, along with a lot in the welfare provinces - excuse me, the atlantic - who basically are voting for who they think will give them the most pogey.

Remove the support of those groups and the Liberals don't even make official opposition. It's not even clear they'd outperform the NDP.

Somewhere along the way in their lust to cater to specific voter blocks, the Liberals lost touch with the common man. I don't see professor Ignatieff being the one to bring them back into the fold.

I agree with most of what you said, other than that Ontario in the last 2 decades has supported the Liberals heavily, and not just Toronto. You're quite right, I think, that the Liberals have pandered too heavily to specific groups and lost the votes of a lot of the non-ethnic and well-to-do Canadians as a result. There will be no Liberal resurgence in the West for a LOOONG time as a result.

Bob Rae has no traction in Ontario. His name is reviled like that of Mike Harris. That's why he wasn't selected federal party leader.