Harper Working on Scrapping the Gun Registry!

Lol..............still trying to defend corrupt Liberal policies eh Guyser?? well good luck with that! Gun control is working just great isn't it? just ask Vancouver and Toronto!

I am not defending anything wulf, just pointing out your inanities and half baked thoughts.

See wulf42, I figured you might post something silly like this.

By the way, I posed your question to Toronto , and they laughed. The city found it amusing that someone who lives in the 10th most dangerous city ( Halifax) would opine like that to the city ranked 26th .

BTW, never did support the Gun registry.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not defending anything wulf, just pointing out your inanities and half baked thoughts.

See wulf42, I figured you might post something silly like this.

By the way, I posed your question to Toronto , and they laughed. The city found it amusing that someone who lives in the 10th most dangerous city ( Halifax) would opine like that to the city ranked 26th .

BTW, never did support the Gun registry.

lol..........what they don t tell you on the news is that so called violence in Halifax is a few select areas that nobody other than the drug dealers go into anyway...and that the violence is drug dealers killing other drug dealers.......... and who cares about that? police love it, they are taking care of the problem for them!

Sure. With the economy in firm hands, it's time to spare some attention to the old (but never forgotten or given up) ideological priorities.

Ideological? I'm no lover of Harper, but gun control was an abusive and idiotic measure. Criminals have little problem getting guns, so what precisely was to be accomplished by gun control, other than, of course, the ideological satisfaction of extremists in the Liberal Party who believe that rural Canadians are a pack of gun-crazy hicks that should be shown the proper way to live by their betters in such bastions of peace as Toronto and Montreal.

in your best mindful antithesis, could ya help a brother out here... why, year after year, has the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police come out in favour of the registry?

Why MontyBurns... inquiring minds are conflicted - please advise - thank you in advance

Because they're dishonest goons too. Of course a police force wants the populace disarmed. The police despise civil liberties at the best of times.

The only thing the registry has accomplished is to prove criminals don't register their long guns either. Who would have guessed that?

Short of sawed-off and maybe pump-action shotguns, how many long guns do criminals use? They seem to prefer, normally, handguns (because they can conceal them) or automatic and semi-automatic when they're trying to achieve maximum damage.

A .22 or .30-30 rifle are not exactly going to be walked into some downtown Vancouver or Toronto dive by gangsters. It's not a very appropriate "urban warfare" kind of weapon. The long gun registry was nothing more than an out-and-out attack on rural Canada by the urban-dominated Liberal party, most of which, I'll wager, have never even seen a .30-30.

Short of sawed-off and maybe pump-action shotguns, how many long guns do criminals use? They seem to prefer, normally, handguns (because they can conceal them) or automatic and semi-automatic when they're trying to achieve maximum damage.

A .22 or .30-30 rifle are not exactly going to be walked into some downtown Vancouver or Toronto dive by gangsters. It's not a very appropriate "urban warfare" kind of weapon. The long gun registry was nothing more than an out-and-out attack on rural Canada by the urban-dominated Liberal party, most of which, I'll wager, have never even seen a .30-30.

The funny thing about that post is that the 30-30 is an antique and is smaller than the typical hunting rifles rural canadians have. The rest of the post is however accurate.

The gun laws are NOT being applied anywhere, so far as I know. In almost all cases where judges even consider the gun laws, they simply impose a sentence which runs concurrent with whatever other sentence they're handing out - thus effectively rending it meaningless. The government needs to ensure the gun laws are enforced and that the sentences are consecutive, not concurrent.

Where did the stats come from? I'm trying to find out because I don't know.

The only anecdotal evidence I have been able to find is that charges are usually 36 months but a year can be shaved off that because of the 2 for 1 problem of time served in remand.

I think it is a problem about how remand is credited on a sentence but don't know how it should be calculated on a sentence. My personal opinion is that time in remand should not be a 2 for 1 deal and that if you get a sentence of three years that remand time should be calculated at a 1 for 1 basis.

The problem I'm told is that people might choose bail and be granted it until time in court.

I have to say that, as someone who regularly reads a number of national newspapers, I cannot recall ever reading someone being sentenced on a gun smuggling or gun possession law. However, I was able to google a case, so it is possible it's being applied now and then, but the mere fact that the news story contains the following passage:

I've read a couple but as you say, some are linked with other charges like illegal drugs, cash and other products.

Yet we know damned well that weapons trafficking goes on all across the country on a daily basis.

I have no trouble with better enforcement in this area. It is possible to lay charges and have them stick. You have to wonder why it isn't done more often.

I'm no lover of Harper, but gun control was an abusive and idiotic measure. Criminals have little problem getting guns, so what precisely was to be accomplished by gun control,

Hand guns have been controlled via registration since 1934. Criminals have little problem getting hand guns. Let's have unrestricted gun ownership. Why just remove control on some guns?

Because they're dishonest goons too. Of course a police force wants the populace disarmed. The police despise civil liberties at the best of times.

so confused... I did not grasp that the underlying intent of the registry was to disarm the populace. Also misunderstood such paranoia to be more within the realm of frantic ramblings coming from U.S. Idaho/Montana militia types... that the U.S. government was, ultimately, after their guns!

dishonest goons despising civil liberties? Really?

note to self: ToadBrother appears not to be the erudite guy - after all.

so confused... I did not grasp that the underlying intent of the registry was to disarm the populace. Also misunderstood such paranoia to be more within the realm of frantic ramblings coming from U.S. Idaho/Montana militia types... that the U.S. government was, ultimately, after their guns!

Actually...the intent of your Gun Registry was to demonstrate collossal mismanagement of an IT project. It is still used to this day to teach project managers around the world, particularly when requirements are defined in a half-assed manner.

The family 22 sitting in the closet is not going to do a drive by shooting. BUT our crazed feminists and hetro-gay liberals all believe that - that family long barreled weapon is what drunken farmers kill their bingo playing wenches with the closet gun - and those liberals want those guns gone - to protect poor woman - meanwhile all they can say to the Jamacian Glock popping gangers up at Jane and Finch is - "hand guns are banned" ----- so the tough coke selling war lords say to Mayor Miller - okay...now give me a camera for my piece...really - shoot some pictures and be arty and forget about shooting the goof that is taking over your buisness.

....meanwhile all they can say to the Jamacian Glock popping gangers up at Jane and Finch is - "hand guns are banned" ----- so the tough coke selling war lords say to Mayor Miller - okay...now give me a camera for my piece...

Fear not...the Liberals will safe you with yet another Oracle database instance. Hooray!!

Fear not...the Liberals will safe you with yet another Oracle database instance. Hooray!!

You've been drinking - nice supper and a shaken not stirred? Dellusionism is a massive disease spreading like wild fire - My Daughter said to me the other day "Dad you stress mum out - you are unstable" - meanwhile she is a chronic pot smoker - tranquilzer popper - and Prozaced right into the gates of hell it self - not to mention the anti-psychotics.....the system stole my servant.. :rolleyes: and they call me nuts - half the world is nuts - The other daughter said I was eccentric ------------damn it BC - I am as centric as you can get - I am a realist.....back to the gun registry --- guns kill people ---and people have nothing to do with it.. :lol:

It's not the guns....it's the bullets! :lol:

Glad to see you happy...and I can see them coming through the air like a segment of Matix. To bad we are ageing - just when we figure it out we are close to the end - do you think that someone will heed those that have gone to the school of hard knocks? It takes a little living to understand what's going on. Those that took the path most traveled are still going in circles.

Glad to see you happy...and I can see them coming through the air like a segment of Matix. To bad we are ageing - just when we figure it out we are close to the end - do you think that someone will heed those that have gone to the school of hard knocks? It takes a little living to understand what's going on. Those that took the path most traveled are still going in circles.

That's why we invented Superman....."faster than a speeding bullet....."

You've been drinking - nice supper and a shaken not stirred? Dellusionism is a massive disease spreading like wild fire - My Daughter said to me the other day "Dad you stress mum out - you are unstable" - meanwhile she is a chronic pot smoker - tranquilzer popper - and Prozaced right into the gates of hell it self - not to mention the anti-psychotics.....the system stole my servant.. :rolleyes: and they call me nuts - half the world is nuts - The other daughter said I was eccentric ------------damn it BC - I am as centric as you can get - I am a realist.....back to the gun registry --- guns kill people ---and people have nothing to do with it.. :lol:

Rarely are the real crazy people ever identified or treated. Crazy makers are more of a threat to society than the people they torment.

That's why we invented Superman....."faster than a speeding bullet....."

You are losing it! Boy have I been a bad influence. Let er rip American guy --- some one has to commit..: You are going to fade and die anyway - may as well help the next generation out.....we love our young - our own and others -----------------------------------I hear he music playing now - so when we goin fishing chump?

We've always had a gun registry, PT. Just not one as screwy as the Liberal one!

I guess you must care more about the coyote than the farmer making a living to feed his kids. Perhaps I'm making an incorrect assumption. Lots of people have contradictions between what they care about and what flawed logic they support.

Do you have any suggestions on what that farmer should do that would WORK?

No actually I care more about his kids when their father is irresponsible enough to leave a loaded gun around the house on the offchance that a coyote might drop by for dinner. There are other ways to 'scare' them off, that don't risk human life. Coyotes are timid animals and are afraid of almost anything. A few speakers along a fence line where you play taped loud noises. Hundreds and hundreds of ways without shooting them. If they become a real problem the Ministy of Natural resources will have them removed.

However, Harper cannot lose sight of the fact that the majority of Canadians want a gun registry. In fact 67% of Canadians want a gun registry. Seeing as how the latest poll shows Harper's approval rating at just 33%; I guess 67% of Canadians also don't want him.

And while we're on the subject, why would or should any Canadian own a handgun? Unless you're a police officer, they should be BANNED!

in your best mindful antithesis, could ya help a brother out here... why, year after year, has the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police come out in favour of the registry?

Once you get up to that level you're a politician, not a cop, a bureacrat. The opinion of chiefs is largely based on political expediency. The registry is there. There's nothing much to be gained by lobbying or arguing for it to be removed. On the other hand, speaking out against it could alienate liberals, and the city mayors and councils who are largely left of centre and actively support anything which even sounds like gun control. Would the likes of Dalton Mcguinty be happy with Fantino if he said it was a piece of crap and should be scrapped? Would Toronto mayor David Miller be happy with his chief if he came out against the registry? Nope. Are the chiefs enthusiastic about this thing? Nope. But it's there, and it's not likely going away any time soon, and like I said, they're politicians.

but when it comes to shotguns and rifles most hunters i know keep their guns locked up and trigger locked and Ammo stored separately that is common sense....................but what many of you fail to realize Gun control is a corrupt joke...i currently have a but come on how seriously how many Gangs use a 30-30 or a .30-06 Cal rifle to commit gang violence?

Only $ 100.00. Far too cheap. Anyone needing two guns should have to undergo psychiatric assessment and have a sign on their door that reads 'Enter at Your Own Risk."

Registering guns and gang violence are two totally separate issues. Gang violence is escalating and will continue to escalate so long as we have prohibition. We are putting the money into the criminals' hands and out of law enforcement's. Drugs and prostitution are the lure of gangs.

But back to the registry. It's working:

Gun deaths cut in half, StatsCan says

June 2005: The risk of death by gunshot has been cut in half in Canada and is far smaller than in the United States, Statistics Canada says. In a study issued on Monday, the federal agency notes that Canadian gun-control laws have been stiffened in recent decades and gun registration has been made compulsory...

It says that 816 people — 767 males and 49 females — died of firearms-related injuries in Canada in 2002, the most recent year examined in the study. This represented 2.6 deaths per 100,000 population, down from 5.9 per 100,000 in 1979.

Some Facts About Guns

Homicide rates tend to be related to firearm ownership levels. Everything else being equal, a reduction in the percentage of households owning firearms should occasion a drop in the homicide rate".

Data on suicide and firearms from other countries can be viewed as a warning to us in the UK of some of the effects of firearm possession. Most articles show that the storage of a firearm in the home predicts an increased rate of a violent death.

The Case For Gun Control

Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people. ALL GUNS SHOULD BE REGISTERED.