Is it time to de-criminalize Pot posession?

bluegreen

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a vote was held on pot decriminalization, I would vote to decriminalize it. On a forum though, I make sure that people favorable to decriminalization answer my best counter arguments.

Back on topic, are we? My earlier point stands. We in the west are known by our discontentedness. We throw all kinds of substances at this, but it doesn't go away. Whether we decriminalize one such substance or not won't deal with the root problem.

Back on topic, are we? My earlier point stands. We in the west are known by our discontentedness. We throw all kinds of substances at this, but it doesn't go away. Whether we decriminalize one such substance or not won't deal with the root problem.

That may be true but its a whole other issue. What it will do is get millions of North Americans out of the criminal system.

The root problem will be easier to deal with, when you don't have a criminal record hanging around your neck for the rest of your life.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Let me play devil's advocate. The magic wand is waved and pot is legal. Now what. Shangrila bliss, happy ever after? This is the problem with the pro-pot advocates, absolutely no reality for them beyond consuming it legally.

Here we go again, four more pages of the 'what a wonderful world' debate as soon as it's legal. No thanks, I give you the last word.

Edited by sharkman

Let me play devil's advocate. The magic wand is waved and pot is legal. Now what. Shangrila bliss, happy ever after? This is the problem with the pro-pot advocates, absolutely no reality for them beyond consuming it legally.

Here we go again, four more pages of the 'what a wonderful world' debate as soon as it's legal. No thanks, I give you the last word.

What would you suggest?

Our discontentedness has a lot to do with the hubris of chemists and pharmacists, who want us to believe that humans can outperform plants in their most natural states.

Let me play devil's advocate. The magic wand is waved and pot is legal. Now what. Shangrila bliss, happy ever after?

No, but young people will not be saddled with criminal records for doing something most people do at some point in their lives.

Organized crime will still have cocaine and heroin and crystal meth to make lots and lots of money with, but they won't have that easy, innocuous "gateway" drug to use to establish themselves among potential consumers.

People under the age of 18 will suddenly find it as difficult to buy as alcohol or tobacco.

Neighbourhoods won't be saddled with illegal grow ops.

The government will collect billions in revenue.

Otherwise, everything would be pretty much be the same.

Edited by BubberMiley

No, but young people will not be saddled with criminal records for doing something most people do at some point in their lives.

Many of us are not "saddled with criminal records" as things stand today. Everyone does not experiment with cannabis or become a doper.

Organized crime will still have cocaine and heroin and crystal meth to make lots and lots of money with, but they won't have that easy, innocuous "gateway" drug to use to establish themselves among potential consumers.

Of course they will.....wanna buy some illegal cigarettes?

People under the age of 18 will suddenly find it as difficult to buy as alcohol or tobacco.

Laughable.

Neighbourhoods won't be saddled with illegal grow ops.

More saddles? Giddyup!

The government will collect billions in revenue.

They already collect lots of revenue from seized drug money and narco asset auctions.

Otherwise, everything would be pretty much be the same.

Agreed....still not a very convincing argument after all these years.

They already collect lots of revenue from seized drug money and narco asset auctions.

Do you really think they collect even enough to pay for the million+ people currently in prison, paid for by the taxpayer, for non-violent drug crimes?

Of course you do. Because you are happy to see the criminal justice system used to persecute people you don't like.

Yahoo.

Do you really think they collect even enough to pay for the million+ people currently in prison, paid for by the taxpayer, for non-violent drug crimes?

It's not suppose to pay for such incarcerations. With that kind of druggee logic, we should legalize murder and sexual assault too.

Of course you do. Because you are happy to see the criminal justice system used to persecute people you don't like.

Yahoo.

I know/like lots of druggies....if they get busted...tough titty.

It's not suppose to pay for such incarcerations. With that kind of druggee logic, we should legalize murder and sexual assault too.

WIth that kind of non-druggee logic, you would think that weed "crimes" hurt other people like murder and sexual assault.

Can you name another such victimless crime on the books?

I thought not.

Keep spending your hard-earned money supporting people in prison. Though I guess that isn't a problem if one has none to spend. :lol:

WIth that kind of non-druggee logic, you would think that weed "crimes" hurt other people like murder and sexual assault.

I guess you have never been to Mexico or Arizona.

I thought not.

Prostitution.....you didn't think very hard....again.

Keep spending your hard-earned money supporting people in prison. Though I guess that isn't a problem if one has none to spend. :lol:

Worth every penny if only to piss off whining dopers.

I thought not.

I guess Bush-Cheney is thinking about a renewed slavery where he could become rich by putting people in orange suits and then forcing them to do the work.

Edited by benny

I guess you have never been to Mexico or Arizona.

You mean the results of criminalization (i.e., organized crime). Do you know what "circular logic" is?

Prostitution.....you didn't think very hard....again.

Yup. Way to go. THat's the only other example. I'm glad we agree that the crimes are victimless. So what was your reasoning again?

Worth every penny if only to piss off whining dopers.

Right! Because you don't like "dopers" and don't mind spending a few extra billion to make their lives less pleasant.

I guess if the billions are other people's money (i.e., taxpayers), then it's no problem. But people who have real money at stake should perhaps wake up.

Prostitution? Takes our finest woman and destroys them....Look at Holland - I heard of an occurance - where a young and beautiful woman who was down on her luck applied for social assistance...the social worker said this to her - to para pharse...."You are young and attractive - there are jobs open as a sex worker" _ do we want that mindset?

You mean the results of criminalization (i.e., organized crime). Do you know what "circular logic" is?

No..I mean the results of your pretzel logic.

Yup. Way to go. THat's the only other example. I'm glad we agree that the crimes are victimless. So what was your reasoning again?

I think we still lock up crack whores right along with the dopers.

Right! Because you don't like "dopers" and don't mind spending a few extra billion to make their lives less pleasant.

I guess if the billions are other people's money (i.e., taxpayers), then it's no problem. But people who have real money at stake should perhaps wake up.

I'd still be paying about $50K in taxes either way...that's real money...not doper money.

I guess Bush-Cheney is thinking about a renewed slavery where he could become rich by putting people in orange suits and then forcing them to do the work.

We put them in orange suits and have them pick up highway litter. Think "chain gang"......

(hooh! aah!) (hooh! aah!)

I hear somethin' sayin'

(Well, don't you know)

That's the sound of the men

working on the chain ga-a-ang

That's the sound of the men

working on the chain gang

All day long they're singin'

Liberated liberal Canada has decriminalized being crazy and now they die in the streets. They have de-crimminalized suicide - now it is an option....lets de-crimminalize everything!............imagine the productivity you would get out of using meth and coke addicts - put them in the factories and when they wear out in a year get a new batch......or - lets insist that our university professors are pot heads as are their students - then we could de-crimminalized dozyness.... Once what is left of the intelligensia is doped up - we can have the administration in China rule us...why not?