Is it time to de-criminalize Pot posession?

bluegreen

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the better arguments is "The law should be so because it is so."

Those who use it are never consistent, however. There is always some legislation out there they feel should be changed.

Take it up with The Queen....I'm sure she is very interested in your compelling arguments to the contrary.

I believe cannabis like prostitution is always going to be something humans engage in. I think both can not be prevented by outlawing them and should be regulated and taxed and the tax money used to fund education programs-in the case of taxes from dope for education programs to encourage people not to smoke pot and understand its negative effects and to pay for the medical and social services that will be needed to address the lung cancer or emphysema or other lung diseases it causes.

I no longer smoke pot. I find in my middle age it makes me paranoid and makes all the absurdities of life too insense and overly magnified for me so I personally do not use dope recreationally.

I also think it is highly carcinogenic because of the tar and has been shown to create long term permanent brain damage no different then say what booze does and quite frankly you guys smoking it long term are going to grow big girly breasts as studies have shown, but hey be my guest. You can always say your big boobies were caused by steroids not your prolonged dope use.

I just would like to see kids not pressured into feeling they have to smoke it to be cool, and proper regulations placed on it like tobacco because it is just as lethal as tobacco and booze and like booze when someone smokes and drives it will lead to deaths and horrible car accidents.

I see the concerns as being health ones, unecessary exposure of minors to a behaviour that can seriously cause them harm during their adolescent years when the frontal lobe suddenly increases and the hormonal imbalances when mixed with the active ingredient of THC can trigger suicide and violence in some, or serious memory difficulties or eye problems in others or lung ailments or the usual risks associated with driving or operating machinery.

I am sure we all agree whatever side we are on with this issue that for people who need it to alleviate the nausea of chemotherapy or to regulate certain kinds of epilepsy or other pain or other good medical reasons that is a completely different issue then when its used recreationally.

As I get older, I think booze, dope, drugs.....all offer people a way to self-indulge and while I think that is what it is self-indulgence, I do not impose my morality on anyone else. Hopefully it is an experimental stage for most people and does not become an addictive crutch.

For me I want to be active, lively and clear headed because I feel there is just too much crap going on to smoke dope and become a large complacent drooling blob head and then watch my breasts grow while I morph out on chocolate brownies and have an anxiety attack staring at Stephen Harper and thinking he is Satan or this crazed polygamous Lawrence Welk related mormon with the 5 wives and their identical hair dos and children that all look the same and need to get out in the sun and ditch those Little House on the Prairie costumes.

Edited by Rue

I believe cannabis like prostitution is always going to be something humans engage in. I think both can not be prevented by outlawing them and should be regulated and taxed and the tax money used to fund education programs-in the case of taxes from dope for education programs to encourage people not to smoke pot and understand its negative effects and to pay for the medical and social services that will be needed to address the lung cancer or emphysema or other lung diseases it causes.

To me, the line of thinking that says "tax and fund good programs" is as idealistic as the one that says "let's eliminate drug use or prostitution".

For me I want to be active, lively and clear headed because I feel there is just too much crap going on to smoke dope and become a large complacent drooling blob head and then watch my breasts grow while I morph out on chocolate brownies and have an anxiety attack staring at Stephen Harper and thinking he is Satan or this crazed polygamous Lawrence Welk related mormon with the 5 wives and their identical hair dos and children that all look the same and need to get out in the sun and ditch those Little House on the Prairie costumes.

I'm not sure what you've been smoking, but it has little resemblance to pot... ;)

Rue, you've been far too heavy handed against pot users, and Bubber will not take that lying down.

Aside from that, your premise is like saying that we will never eliminate murder or rape or racism so what's the point?

The point is that our laws were never intended to banish from existence the behaviors they outlaw, but to provide a disincentive for said behaviors. It's unrealistic to think that by making murder illegal the lawmakers thought they would wipe out the practice.

Part of the problem in Canada is we've gotten so idealistic we now think that by having a certain behavior illegal it should become extinct. If it doesn't, it's a failure. In this idealism we see all these people involved in the pot trade getting records and ruining their lives, so we want to prevent that by changing the laws to suit the behavior. If it's legalized, its use will grow and I think we can agree that this would be harmful to society.

Thank you for the personal testimony on pot use, it's helpful to those who will accept advice.

Edited by sharkman

As I get older, I think booze, dope, drugs.....all offer people a way to self-indulge and while I think that is what it is self-indulgence, I do not impose my morality on anyone else. Hopefully it is an experimental stage for most people and does not become an addictive crutch.

While I admire your choice of lifestyle and its remarkably similar to my own, this is not about morality. It's about criminality. But your tongue in cheek comments about who potheads are is actually a tired cliche. There are many potheads who live the same as you and me, having good educations, good jobs and devoting their time to family life, but instead of having a few drinks on Friday night they choose to light up. Thats where we draw the line.

All other arguments about detrimental health effects due to over-indulgence applies to anything else where people may overindulge. Including food.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

While I admire your choice of lifestyle and its remarkably similar to my own, this is not about morality. It's about criminality.

The basis problem we have to face is that taxing something (pot for instance) leads to crime such as tax evasion and black market.

Bubber will not take that lying down.

You don't consider it kind of weasel-like to only "ignore" me when you're losing a debate?

BTW, I can't find any evidence that decriminalization will increase consumption. Did you just get that out of that big brain of yours?

You don't consider it kind of weasel-like to only "ignore" me when you're losing a debate?

BTW, I can't find any evidence that decriminalization will increase consumption. Did you just get that out of that big brain of yours?

Total consumption doesn't matter as much as the consumption of the most vulnerable (predisposed) group of consumers.

The basis problem we have to face is that taxing something (pot for instance) leads to crime such as tax evasion and black market.

Oh I see, so we shouldn;t decriminalize it because it will lead to crime. Fine. By that logic lets not tax it, or anything. What are you smoking these days, by the way?

Oh I see, so we shouldn;t decriminalize it because it will lead to crime. Fine. By that logic lets not tax it, or anything. What are you smoking these days, by the way?

Tax is used to finance public health and you say that pot is a health problem.

If we could go back 80 years we would out law that mind destroying toxin alcohol...why bring in some shit (pot) and make it mainstream - If I had my way with my children - I would prefere they did not waste their time with booze or pot...it does not increase mental health or physical health - BUT pot does have some medicinal value- not much..but some - if you are ill - it increases your ability to eat...and if you are oppressed by a stupid and cruel boss..a small doze can restart you and make you forget the cruel fool..

Tax is used to finance public health and you say that pot is a health problem.

Thats right, I say that and I'm sure that any normal person would rather pay their taxes, than go to jail! Your circular logic gets boring, You don't respond to the issue, just make another obtuse one-liner.

Thats right, I say that and I'm sure that any normal person would rather pay their taxes, than go to jail! Your circular logic gets boring, You don't respond to the issue, just make another obtuse one-liner.

But the rich find easier to go live in a tax heaven than to pay for public programs.

Ignore what? I was just mentioning you since you're a strong advocate of pot use, you are quite sensitve these days. Ignoring your petty attacks of me does not mean I won't reference you, or is that too hard for you to understand? Maybe if you really concentrate, or take a day off from the pot use.

Just for the record, I decided not to respond to you on this thread because your attacks on my opinions were quite rude and heavy handed and I have better things to do than submit myself to that.

Edited by sharkman