Iraqi Journalist Throws Shoes at Bush - How Did he Miss!?

I heard one reporter dragging out the old 'thrown shoes are a sign of disrespect in the Middle-East' line. Like having a shoe whipped at you in Canada is a form of respect??

:lol::lol:

----------------------------------------------------

Who throws a shoe? Honestly!?

---Austin Powers

I heard one reporter dragging out the old 'thrown shoes are a sign of disrespect in the Middle-East' line. Like having a shoe whipped at you in Canada is a form of respect??

:lol::lol:

----------------------------------------------------

Who throws a shoe? Honestly!?

---Austin Powers

Hmmmm...I remember once long ago women used to throw their knickers at Tom Jones...

It has more of a meaning in Arabic cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing

The shoe represents the lowest part of the body (the foot) and displaying or throwing a shoe at someone or something in Arab cultures denotes that the person or thing is "beneath them." Showing the bottom of one's feet or shoes (for example, putting one's feet up on a table or desk) in Arab cultures is considered an extreme insult.[citation needed] Examples include Iraqi citizens smacking torn-down posters of Saddam Hussein with their shoes, and the depiction of President of the United States George H. W. Bush on a tile mosaic of the floor of the Al-Rashid Hotel's lobby, forcing all visitors entering the hotel to walk on Bush's face to enter the hotel.

I guess most Iraqis are not a fan of Bush. But I cannot possibly figure out why. :unsure:

It was the best holiday video clip I could think of. what a gift!

I watched it over and over and laughed and laughed and laughed.

I think the reporter should have a day of honour, feasting and fun.

Iraqis should hoist him on there shoulders, and celebrate his courage.

Or hell get rid of the puppet maliki asap, see if this reporter can't do better.

Gosthacked: It has more of a meaning in Arabic cultures.

Re: your source...

This section does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (May 2008)

Care to actually prove it has 'more of a meaning' in Arab culture? Seriously, throwing a shoe at someone in our culture is a cause for a party? Throw a shoe at me and I'll respond in kind. This seems like typical media hype which is almost bigoted in its assessment...if not actually so.

-----------------------------------------------

So, I understand when they (contestants) make a mistake and everyone at home is throwing their shoes at the television set.

---Vanna White

It was the best holiday video clip I could think of. what a gift!

I watched it over and over and laughed and laughed and laughed.

I think the reporter should have a day of honour, feasting and fun.

Iraqis should hoist him on there shoulders, and celebrate his courage.

Or hell get rid of the puppet maliki asap, see if this reporter can't do better.

Saddam would have killed the reporter slowly...then his family...then any pets he might have had. Cheer that the reporter now has the freedom to throw his shoes at a President and live.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You know me... If you are Iraqi, you know me.

---Saddam Hussein

With American democratization in full swing in Iraq it was wonderful to hear the translation of the interchange between the security guys who where hauling away the shoe tosser as they were beating the shit out of him...eg "Don't kick him in the head" - secondary translation ----------Beat the shit out of him break his fingers and ribs - kick crush his kidneys to mush - but make sure we don't kill him and that his face is presentable in court ------------great job civilizing Iraq George!

With American democratization in full swing in Iraq it was wonderful to hear the translation of the interchange between the security guys who where hauling away the shoe tosser as they were beating the shit out of him...eg "Don't kick him in the head" - secondary translation ----------Beat the shit out of him break his fingers and ribs - kick crush his kidneys to mush - but make sure we don't kill him and that his face is presentable in court ------------great job civilizing Iraq George!

C'mon...you know that would just be a slow day in Winnipeg or Calgary for a First Nations perp. Must do better than that.

On the serious side of this story this journalist is becoming a hero in Iraq. One woman said, "Don't you remember what the Americans did to us? Have you already forgotten? Some Iraqis were throwing their shoes at US military as they passed. I bet they wondering what was going on. In Libya, it was announced that the journalist should be award an "order of courage". Apparently, this guy can get two years in prison but I don't think his fellow Iraqis will let that happen. Bush was joking about it when he landed in Afghanistan but he should be happy that the wasn't in the US or he would have gotten a bullet instead of a shoe. www.ca.yahoo.com

On the serious side of this story this journalist is becoming a hero in Iraq. One woman said, "Don't you remember what the Americans did to us? Have you already forgotten? Some Iraqis were throwing their shoes at US military as they passed. I bet they wondering what was going on. In Libya, it was announced that the journalist should be award an "order of courage". Apparently, this guy can get two years in prison but I don't think his fellow Iraqis will let that happen. Bush was joking about it when he landed in Afghanistan but he should be happy that the wasn't in the US or he would have gotten a bullet instead of a shoe. www.ca.yahoo.com

Very astute. Looks like the cradle of civlization is still Iraq after all the destruction caused by barbaric western envy. In America such an attack would have been deadly if it happened at all...looks like a tossed shoe is more civlized than a fired bullet.....I knew Mr.Bushes last days would be a legacy of eternal shame - He and Cheney will have to live out their lives in total dis-honour...Now they pay the piper. I heard the embarrassment in the tone of the Presidents voice...."I don't know what his beef is?" - disconnect!

Excellent point....the brave reporter didn't have the courage to throw shoes at Saddam.

The reporter should have left his foot in the shoe...maybe he could have found such a shoe out in the street somewhere. I am sure there are a lot of shoes with the foot still in it strewn about the country.