SHOULD Canada break up?

Gee. So we're supposed to be happy when we write a big cheque to Ottawa and get a minue amount of that back?

I never said you were supposed to be grateful. I was simply pointing out that you were wrong.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just lurker but would like to add my opinion..... with the west having our massive oil deposits maybe it is time to go our own way for the whole country's sake... when oil does recover will it not raise our currency with it?.... and with the east being so dependant on manufacturing it will futher hurt that region trying to compete with China and other low currency regions..... I myself would not want to see this country break-up but really, the French slash English thing that goes back centuries in this country is something that I nor most people in Calgary or the west I know of really indentify with nor care about, it is only a factor in our federal politics and to be quite frank a very annoying one.... to try and find a middle ground might be possible but with the west growing and becoming more powerful that middle ground, in the longrun I think, will be very difficult to retain on too many levels..... the west and east have conflicting interests and to satisfy both maybe a split from each other would be the best for everyone concerned.....

You know what folks? Out here in Alberta we could literally opt out of all of your federal programs and afford to pay for all of them ourselves. When we do that we could literally tell the feds to take their net federal debt per person and have the value of those fed programs they supply deducted from that total and we would have paid our share of the national debt.

In short Alberta doesn't need or want you folks anymore.

How many here feel that Harper has done more to divide the country that help it. Just look at the Atlantic Accord and the way he went off at Nfld. and with Ontario. Just look how people are talking now. More provinces have talked about separating than ever before. Why? The road leads to Ottawa. I don't think Canada should lose any of the provinces or territories and if it goes in that direction, then you know the US will help bring that forward because of our vast natural resources and you will see the NAU.

Based on the oil industry... which isn't going to be around forever and is quite inefficient... have fun.

First out of debt... its hard not to when you are making multiple billions off a very high OIL price.... and if you looked into it further you would see that they crushed some people to get there. But you know that's cool... who cares if you gotta push a few seniors down the stairs.

We did it before the high oil price

More provinces have talked about separating than ever before.

I really don't think Ontario Loyalist speaks for his province. And who's taking about separating? Quebec hasn't in recent years. There's really no separatist movement in Alberta either. The separatist party was off the radar until Dion promoted his Green Shift and now the Coalition government.

How many here feel that Harper has done more to divide the country that help it. Just look at the Atlantic Accord and the way he went off at Nfld. and with Ontario. Just look how people are talking now. More provinces have talked about separating than ever before. Why? The road leads to Ottawa. I don't think Canada should lose any of the provinces or territories and if it goes in that direction, then you know the US will help bring that forward because of our vast natural resources and you will see the NAU.

I think those three coalition jokers have done more to divide the country. All of this nonsense was starting to drop off the radar and as soon as the three stooges banded together look what happened.

So if Canada were to seperate from the West, what would become of it and what would they refer to themselves as????

Canada seperate from the West? Ontario isn't Canada.

If that were to happen you could say bye bye to the Maritimes as well. Most likely the maritimes would join the states. You are no proud Canadian if you 'hate the west'. You are however, clearly a moron.

It was still a very strong in that time... Which begs the question... If we were able to get out of debt at $40/barrel where the hell is all this money going that we should have seen haev an impact when it was at $90+/barrel.

You would also know that a lot of public funding was cut in the name of getting rid of the debt... maybe thats why albertans are so stupid ;)

If you were very young at that time then you are still quite young.

fact - Alberta spend more per capita on social programs than any other province.

fact - Alberta and Calgary in particular volunteer more hours per capita than any other province and are among the leaders in giving money to charity.

Your facts are wrong. Your hate is driving you to incorrect conclusions.

I agree

I note that Stephen Harper alienated the east, demonized quebec, his finance minister hasn't given the time of day to Ontario.

The fear card, he played over and over, during the recent "crisis", waving the seperatist boogey man was a disgrace for a pm who claims he stands up for Canada.

He clearly plays to his western audience, and pits west against east in a very disgraceful manner for a PM of the country, the entire country.

Who gets more subsidies?? Farmers or the auto industry?

Then we can discuss why.

The Alberta oil industries got the most "subsidies". Yet it is the most profitable industry in Canada. It's easier to subsidize something when you know your going to get a return on your investment.

Take up your subsidy gripe with the Europeans, they started this mess.

As for why, having a secure food and energy supply is far more important than making cars.

If you were very young at that time then you are still quite young.

fact - Alberta spend more per capita on social programs than any other province.

fact - Alberta and Calgary in particular volunteer more hours per capita than any other province and are among the leaders in giving money to charity.

Your facts are wrong. Your hate is driving you to incorrect conclusions.

Spends more money per capita... that's must be amazingly hard to do when we make more and have less people in our province... if we didn't this place would be a fucking joke.

Leaders giving money to charity because it's a fucking tax incentive. I'm sure there are cases where it's out of the goodness of someones heart... or then maybe it's because they are attempting to get money back from income taxes.

Volunteer hours i can't comment... but what i will ask a question is, who determines what volunteer is, and who has calculated this? Also once again we have a smaller population, it's easier to get more per capita... pre capita is a piece of shit statistic.

Well, no, not really, because these people either retire, retrain, or find new employment. All of the job losses in the automotive industry have yet to reflect in the statistics, which are quite current, so your doom and gloom scenario is a delusion on your part.

There is so much that is wrong with this post, that you could be an MP or and MPP.

Spends more money per capita... that's must be amazingly hard to do when we make more and have less people in our province... if we didn't this place would be a fucking joke.

Leaders giving money to charity because it's a fucking tax incentive. I'm sure there are cases where it's out of the goodness of someones heart... or then maybe it's because they are attempting to get money back from income taxes.

Volunteer hours i can't comment... but what i will ask a question is, who determines what volunteer is, and who has calculated this? Also once again we have a smaller population, it's easier to get more per capita... pre capita is a piece of shit statistic.

Sounds like someone doesn't know a thing about what they are po'ed about.

It would behoove you to understand what 'per capita' means.

here you go:

Main Entry: per cap·i·ta

Pronunciation: \(ˌ)pər-ˈka-pə-tə\

Function: adverb or adjective

Etymology: Medieval Latin, by heads

Date: 1682

1 : equally to each individual

2 : per unit of population : by or for each person <the highest income per capita of any state in the union>

source: Merriam Webster online edition.

hint, per capita, by the very definition of the word, negates population differences. That's the very reason why it is used, Einstein.

Look, everyone has a right to get upset about perceived injustices.

However, it takes a special kind of stupid to get upset at things which are the very opposite of what is true.

So man-up, do your research and LEARN.

This is all especially fascintating seeing how you were just recently saying how your fellow Albertans are uneducated, ignorant and selfish. I showed it to be wrong and you come back and show that it is you who are so completely, fundametaly wrong.

That is called Irony my friend. Yes, look that up on Merriam Webster at the same time you are looking up per capita too.

You are the ignorant, uneducated one as you have demonstrated for everyone to see here.

Edited by White Doors

It would behoove you to understand what 'per capita' means.

here you go:

Main Entry: per cap·i·ta

Pronunciation: \(ˌ)pər-ˈka-pə-tə\

Function: adverb or adjective

Etymology: Medieval Latin, by heads

Date: 1682

1 : equally to each individual

2 : per unit of population : by or for each person <the highest income per capita of any state in the union>

source: Merriam Webster online edition.

hint, per capita, by the very definition of the word, negates population differences. That's the very reason why it is used, Einstein.

Look, everyone has a right to get upset about perceived injustices.

However, it takes a special kind of stupid to get upset at things which are the very opposite of what is true.

So man-up, do your research and LEARN.

You don't understand... IT DOES NOT negate population differences.... and not everyone is the same... therefore per capita is a big piece of shit.. end of story.

per capita albertans make like 40k a year.... that doesn't mean everyone is making 40k per year... thats an average of all albertans.... in all of alberta say the gross income for all albertans together is 1 million... (not accurate but showing my point).... there are 2 million people in alberta.... so the per capita is 50 cents.

But this does not show that some are making 0 and some are making a dollar.... statistics are flawed.

You don't understand... IT DOES NOT negate population differences.... and not everyone is the same... therefore per capita is a big piece of shit.. end of story.

per capita albertans make like 40k a year.... that doesn't mean everyone is making 40k per year... thats an average of all albertans.... in all of alberta say the gross income for all albertans together is 1 million... (not accurate but showing my point).... there are 2 million people in alberta.... so the per capita is 50 cents.

But this does not show that some are making 0 and some are making a dollar.... statistics are flawed.

Well this shows why you are so mind-numbingly stupid. You won't allow yourself to learn.

not to be nit picky, but besides your disability when it comes to statistics etc, Alberta has more like 3 million people. One would think that since you live there and all you would know this and not have to have an 'outsider' like me to have to point this out to you. And afterall, you keep telling us how smart you are.

:ph34r:

You seem to be flawed.

The data does show all aspects of the numbers, some more then the norm some less when they put these together they do analyze all the numbers, but showing that it is the average is higher in Alberta shows that more people are doing more then the Canadian average. You better go back to you highschool, I think you have some exams you need to re-take.