Liberty or Peace?

cybercoma

Liberty or Peace  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As any of you who have read or studied Machiavelli know, he believed that peace was more important than personal liberty or freedom. If you could only have one or the other, which would you choose? A society with peace, but no freedom, or a society with complete freedom, but embroiled in chaos? I'm curious to see which people would pick when made to choose.

I have peace but no peace of mind. I would choose liberty - at least I could be in the "persuit of happiness" ...which is more interesting than happiness which is peace. Must be the melancoly Russian soul. And Machnivelli was a cut throat opportunist and a lieing rat...what would you study that crimminal for? :lol:

I would choose peace in the fullest sense of the word. Any society that has to suppress individual freedom to achieve peace will lose both.

Liberty follows peace, not the other way around.

In order to have freedom you must first make friends and achieve peace - then with mutual love and co-operation freedom is granted on and other - respect. So you are correct peace first.

Its a choice that's too difficult to make, because so much that is unwanted can come with either choice. Peace without freedowm is utterly useless. Freedom without peace is just as useless.

Edited by Smallc

Its a choice that's too difficult to make, because so much that is unwanted can come with either choice. Peace without freedowm is utterly useless. Freedom without peace is just as useless.

How so? ...there is much freedom without peace at this very moment. The choice is easy......

Obviously the best choice is peace AND liberty. That's the goal for any society; however, it has been argued that you cannot have peace with free liberties, nor could you have free liberty and maintain peace. The curiosity is in what people would choose if they were faced with a choice of one of these two societies.

Obviously the best choice is peace AND liberty. That's the goal for any society; however, it has been argued that you cannot have peace with free liberties, nor could you have free liberty and maintain peace. The curiosity is in what people would choose if they were faced with a choice of one of these two societies.

It is an unreasonable choice and not worth debating. As I said one cannot exist without the other.

Nope....can't argue with that. But the question as posed is rather straightforward....and easily answered.

Just an observation: there is 100% peace in death.

Liberty could exist in complete anarchy. Its not as easy a choice as it may seem, at least for me.

Liberty could exist in complete anarchy. Its not as easy a choice as it may seem, at least for me.

OK...but we are not talking about the extremes of a limit theorem here.

For all practical purposes, the answer to the question is demonstrated every day.

Those who wish to twist in the wind will never be satisfied with an answer because of self imposed qualifications.

OK...but we are not talking about the extremes of a limit theorem here.

What we are deciding on has no condition except the stated one. The liberty or peace could come with anything else and we have no choice in the matter. It is a difficult decision and one that I wouldn't be able to make without more information.

What we are deciding on has no condition except the stated one. The liberty or peace could come with anything else and we have no choice in the matter. It is a difficult decision and one that I wouldn't be able to make without more information.

See....that's what I mean. I am empowered to make the decision for myself without such fears. I have liberty.

See....that's what I mean. I am empowered to make the decision for myself without such fears. I have liberty.

They have liberty in Somalia too.

Also, I really don't like to make quick decisions.

Edited by Smallc