Flaherty to slash public funding for federal parties

jdobbin

This isn't the last Tory government. And Harper hasn't produced one budget deficit to date.

He is saying he is accepting that he will have one. Still going to vote for him? Well sure, if you support the big spending Bush, you have to support the big spending Harper.

Afterall, it is the Liberals fault.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beauty of the coalition. The NDP booted the Liberals out of government when the Liberals wanted to cut taxes. If this coalition is to work then the Libs must play ball with the NDP, expect taxes to rise.

The lefties should hope Lord makes too much money to consider federal politics. I'd like Lord as PM.

Is Harper running a corporation? A surplus is a surplus no matter how small it is. Harper can cut spending, there are lots of programs that could use the axe, but the electorate won't like it. The GST cut made a huge difference to me. I am happy with all the money I saved. How much taxes are you willing to pay? Overtaxing the population isn't fiscal conservatism, its theft.

How can you say your overtaxed when our country is in debt we spent $35billion in interest payment alone, quit being a deadbeat and pay your debts.

Edited by johhny

If it puts people to work and keeps industries from collapsing......and who decides when we're overtaxed or under taxed? Where is this imaginary line that Conservatives seem to draw?

His comment was based on the need to maintain a large surplus. This is money that isn't working for the economy. As far as keeping industries from collapsing, I think it depends on the industry. Many believe the big three would be in better shape if they went into chapter 11 for the short-term.

Edited by noahbody

His comment was based on the need to maintain a large surplus. This is money that isn't working for the economy. As far as keeping industries from collapsing, I think it depends on the industry. Many believe the big three would be in better shape if they went into chapter 11 for the short-term.

Point 1. A large surplus should have been left so we could pay off debt, repair infrastructure, and re equip the military. All of those things would work for the economy.

Point 2. The people who think that about the big 3 are wrong, plain and simple, and don't know much about the industry. So many also make the mistake of lumping the big 3 together when they are nothing alike. I frequent another forum dedicated to the auto industry and Ford in particular. GM can't get financing to get through Chapter 11 without government help. They are in trouble, they need fixing on many levels, and they need help. Cerberus may not be willing to keep spending on Chrysler and it may be up to the government to help. They are also in trouble on the product and quality sides. and Ford doesn't yet need money as the have $29B in the bank. All they want is a guarantee that secured loans are available as needed. They have fixed many of their problems and just as they started making money, the bottom fell out. Nothing is really cut and dry, especially not right now.

How can you say your overtaxed when our country is in debt we spent $35billion in interest payment alone, quit being a deadbeat and pay your debts.

What useless drivel. Punishing our business's and population in general with high taxation is proposterous. Canadian's know how to spend their own money. I pay more GST tax than most people's income tax in this country. Why should I be punished for getting ahead?

Our country over spent themselves into this mess, they can cut costs to get out of it. I shouldn't have to foot the bill for their finanical stupidity.

The NDP has just said in the last hour that other priorities concern them. The pressure of governing sure puts a sharp focus on promises made in the election.

Start the draft now. It certainly will make the rest of the week interesting.

I would have done better with an income tax cut.

The NDP will have to go to their electorate about that. They won't like being short changed on gov't services.

Do you have a better bilingual leader for the tories than Lord?

Good thing the tories did both. I and other business owners did well with the GST and income tax cuts.

What useless drivel. Punishing our business's and population in general with high taxation is proposterous. Canadian's know how to spend their own money. I pay more GST tax than most people's income tax in this country. Why should I be punished for getting ahead?

Our country over spent themselves into this mess, they can cut costs to get out of it. I shouldn't have to foot the bill for their finanical stupidity.

If you pay more in GST than most people in income tax I am more than sure you can spare a few extra dollars can't you? also like you said in your previous post you did not spend you tax incetives on consumer goods but horded it away in saving, not good for the country nor any good for the economy.

your now starting to contradict yourself

Edited by johhny

If you pay more in GST than most people in income tax I am more than sure you can spare a few extra dollars can't you? also like you said in your previous post you did not spend you tax incetives on consumer goods but horded it away in saving, not good for the country nor any good for the economy.

your now starting to contradict yourself

Where did I say I horded it in a savings account, even if I did that, that helps out the banks loan money to people. I spend money on my business, the more money I save from taxes, the more I can put in the bank and spend which helps out the economy.

Venezuela believes in your system and they are a living joke.

Edited by blueblood

Where did I say I horded it in a savings account, even if I did that, that helps out the banks loan money to people. I spend money on my business, the more money I save from taxes, the more I can put in the bank and spend which helps out the economy.

Venezuela believes in your system and they are a living joke.

That is so far from the truth when a person goes to take a loan the bank does not use the money you deposit but goes to the Bank of Canada to print up more money, who then in turn gives it to the private bank to charge you interest on, in turn driving up inflation and devalue the dollar.

go back to your previous post you said you took the money and put it in savings.

Edited by johhny

The NDP will have to go to their electorate about that. They won't like being short changed on gov't services.

The Tories didn't go to the electorate about going into deficit. They said never, no way in the election campaign.

Do you have a better bilingual leader for the tories than Lord?

Sure, someone with experience in Ottawa like Ignatieff or Rae.

Good thing the tories did both. I and other business owners did well with the GST and income tax cuts.

You did better than you would have on strictly an income tax cut? Be honest. I didn't.

The Tories didn't go to the electorate about going into deficit. They said never, no way in the election campaign.

You did better than you would have on strictly an income tax cut? Be honest. I didn't.

Ignatieff has what 2-3 years of experiance in Ottawa?

He is saying he is accepting that he will have one. Still going to vote for him? Well sure, if you support the big spending Bush, you have to support the big spending Harper.

Afterall, it is the Liberals fault.

Yes, he's saying there could be a deficit. I guess that's part of the price for an economic situation not seen in 75 years. But your new found fiscal conservatism is even more laughable than your pseudo-concern over a possible federal deficit. Especially from a guy who's party and politics constantly claim a litany of government programs that aren't so-called "fully funded."

So what spending would you cut, big shot? :lol:

Ya Bob Rae's experience governing in bad times is stellar, Ignatief is pretty much a wild card, what I've seen I don't like he's arrogant, condescending and aloof. Either one running a government full of NDP cabinet ministers doesn't strike me as workable.

Rae is aging and will decline very soon. Ignatief is an American acedemic - fully indoctrinated and institutionalized. It's amusing when people refere to acedemics as intellectuals. If he was so smart we would have seen his genius by now. To have Ignatius in control would be like having a wacky egg head nerd playing with his very own ant farm. Any NDP control is foolish and unrealistic. The NDP were powerful when they were the representative of the unionized industrial worker. In case anyone has not notice the industry is now in China.

All you lefties seem to think that taking money out of the economy through taxation in order to put it back INTO the economy through government spending is a reaaall good idea.

No one on the planet who knows anything about economics agrees with you, of course.

Hah, I'm a lefty and I can't imagine anything more stupid. Oh, wait a minute I see you said it only SEEMS that way.

I don't think there's anyone on the planet who thinks, that would regard economics as anything more than a cross between a ponzie scheme and a crap shoot.

Hah, I'm a lefty and I can't imagine anything more stupid. Oh, wait a minute I see you said it only SEEMS that way.

I don't think there's anyone on the planet who thinks, that would regard economics as anything more than a cross between a ponzie scheme and a crap shoot.

Hell of a lot better then a bread line hey comrad.

now they can go to the electorate about democracy, how the libs are running a huge deficit when the tories would have a 100 m surplus, how the tories managed the country, and whatever nonsense the tory war room can concoct. All they have to do is convince voters.

I was talking about potential tory leaders, Lord is the best horse.

Ah but being a business owner that is constantly turning money over on expenditures, namely machinery, a GST cut was really really beneficial.