Will Dion Resign Tonight?

Harper is not as in a precarious a position as is Dion though. Conservatives know that with the present political landscape it is almost impossible to win a majority. I'm not making excuses for Harper. He blew a golden opportunity by listening to his strategists, especially with regard to Quebec. Hindsight is 20/20. That said, as a Conservative party member, I would not be averse to a leadership review.

And yet Harper said he is going to rule like he has a majority and put the crime bill back up as one of the first orders of business. We could be having another election right off the first piece of legislation if he wants to do that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet Harper said he is going to rule like he has a majority and put the crime bill back up as one of the first orders of business. We could be having another election right off the first piece of legislation if he wants to do that.

If we go to another election right away, I think even more Canadians will vote Conservative to keep the opposition from being able to bring down the government.

If we go to another election right away, I think even more Canadians will vote Conservative to keep the opposition from being able to bring down the government.

If the Opposition doesn't call the election, the Tories will call it themselves.

Dion and Harper lost. Duceppe and Layton, however, are both winners tonight.
Duceppe has seen the Bloc's ppular vote fall from 49% in 2004 to about 38% in 2008.

He's not in this game to elect MPs. He wants a country and that means getting a higher percentage of the vote. The PQ is badly placed for the next Quebec election.

Layton spent about $1 million in Quebec and has barely one MP elected.

I don't see Layton and Duceppe as winners.

Even the Green Party comes out a loser - they don't have an elected MP.

And across Canada, only 56% of eligible voters bothered to vote - the lowest in our history.

That is indeed very sad. I am quite disappointed in the lack of interest by the electorate.

The public is disengaged. If I had no candidate worth voting for, I'd sit at home as well. The rejected ballot of the only other choice.

The public is disengaged. If I had no candidate worth voting for, I'd sit at home as well. The rejected ballot of the only other choice.

There are enough choices that you should have somewhere to park your vote. There is no excuse for not voting in a federal election. I think they should look at making it mandatory like in Australia.

There are enough choices that you should have somewhere to park your vote. There is no excuse for not voting in a federal election. I think they should look at making it mandatory like in Australia.

I don't park my vote. I'd reject a ballot if forced.

Until the convention, it is probably not in the interest of the party for him to resign tonight.

I think the Liberals know they are financially bankrupt but the party is mandated to have their convention this year. We'll see.

Lots of people are saying it is Harper that might walk away in anger about not getting a majority.

I give Dion one month, maybe two... Then he'll resign and the leadership review becomes a choosing exercise. Finally.

The knives are being honed now.

I give Dion one month, maybe two... Then he'll resign and the leadership review becomes a choosing exercise. Finally.

The knives are being honed now.

I agree, in the camera Bob Rae and Iggy were nice and said the politically correct thing for the time but tomorrow the knives will be sharp and Dion will have his throat slit and he will be in the political gutter dran and quartered by his on in no time flat.

Gotta love a party that sticks behind its leader like that, LOL !!

Gotta love a party that sticks behind its leader like that, LOL !!

Do you not view loyalty to Canada as important than loyalty to a party leader?

Replacing Dion with an effective leader who will finally rid Canada of a government lead by a social conservative leader who produced the largest spending increases in Canadian history needs to happen sooner rather than later. This election confirmed that a majority of Canadians once again rejected Harper.

Harper has shown he's a gambler by calling an unwanted election. There's nothing to stop him from doing it again unless the Liberals replace Dion.

I don't know about resigning yet, but it's certainly embarrassing to have a guy blaming a particular media outlet rather than his own abysmal performance for his loss.

And who was the guy who manhandled the CTV reporter? Was he a cop or private security? If it was a Liberal staffer or privately hired security, then there should be some sort of apology from the Liberals for that. You can say all you want about emotions running high, but that's completely unnecessary regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

There's also no excuse for not adopting other reforms that would compliment mandatory voting, like proportional representation.

What I meant was, there is so much choice that there almost has to be something for everyone. The fact is, Canadians take this privilege for granted, and its quite sad.

There really isn't something for everyone. This election was so full of dull, uncharismatic candidates that I can understand why voter turnouts are so low. The average Canadian votes for the leader of the party, not their local MP. And they got to choose between Creepy-Eyes, No-Words, The Hippie, The Separatist, and The Appeaser. Wow. Stellar.

Edited by na85