Canada on Mars

Pretty cool, actually. That's a first for Canadian engineers/scientists. Nice view of our logo.

:)

BC2004...here's the Orbiter version and the Delta II launcher. Plus one of the guys has updated it with this file.

For those interested: Orbiter Space Flight Simulator, 100% Free...doesn't alter your registry...good video card recommended.

It's not the Red Planet for nothin', eh? Red soil and a white sky. :D

Mars's sky is actually blue due to Rayleigh scattering. It get's its pale pink/yellow colour from fine dust particles suspended in the atmosphere. Martian sunsets are also blue...but because of the dust particles...not the scattering.

The other really cool photo was snapped by one of the orbiters around Mars as Phoenix entered the Martian atmosphere and popped its parachute.

---------------------------------------

To infinity and beyond!

Do you really think that is Mars or somewhere in Australia or a studio????

Does Australia have blue sunsets?

-----------------------

Where's the Kaboom? There should have been an Earth shattering Kaboom.

---Marvin Martian

Is that a serious question?

If so I would suggest that your tinfoil hat is way too tight.

yes its serious. Why I say this is I saw on the news about 2-3 months ago a guy was talking about outer space and Mars and they were showing what Mars looks like the red surface and I was caught up in it until... he walked off the set!

yes its serious. Why I say this is I saw on the news about 2-3 months ago a guy was talking about outer space and Mars and they were showing what Mars looks like the red surface and I was caught up in it until... he walked off the set!

So you actually thought this guy on TV was actually broadcasting from Mars?

You must be smoking some really really good shit.

yeah right! No he was telling the story and then he walks in and out of the set. I don't smoke...shit, tobacco or anything else you may have tried!

Here's some nice pictures from some of the later Mars missions. If it's a movie set, I'd suggest to them that it might be cheaper and easier to actually send a rover/lander Mars.

http://www.lyle.org/~markoff/index.html

So...Moon landings faked, too?

------------------------------------------------

When we see the shadow on our images, are we seeing the time 11 minutes ago on Mars? Or are we seeing the time on Mars as observed from Earth now? It's like time travel problems in science fiction. When is now; when was then?

---Bill Nye

yeah right! No he was telling the story and then he walks in and out of the set. I don't smoke...shit, tobacco or anything else you may have tried!

So what the f*ck does your entire point have to do with anything resembling reality then?

If this is how your thought processes function then perhaps you should try smoking, lots.

Here's a cool bit of 'live' footage from the surface of Mars taken by the Spirit Rover. Taken on Day 568 as the gif's name suggests. Apparently a direct hit by one of these cleaned off the solar panels which had a layer of built-up dust. Several of these gifs are available...apparently they are very common during certain seasons on Mars.

http://www.lyle.org/~markoff/dd/spirit_sol568nav.gif

Re: faking the Mars landings once more...

Pretty hard to fake these: Phoenix lander from orbit.

Opportunity Rover at the rim of Victoria crater taken from orbit.

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/HiROC/images/...pportunity.html

...and as you can see from this photo...Victoria crater isn't on Earth...

------------------------------------------

First you jump off the cliff and you build wings on the way down.

---Ray Bradbury

Edited by DogOnPorch

Pretty hard to fake these

I'm not saying any of it is fake.

I only want to point out that as someone who uses Photoshop for a living, doctoring images for magazine and book publishers, that faking those Mars shots would be pretty simple.

I'm not saying any of it is fake.

I only want to point out that as someone who uses Photoshop for a living, doctoring images for magazine and book publishers, that faking those Mars shots would be pretty simple.

Perhaps that's true these days, but it is also in conjunction with digital data arriving from space. So unless one wants to disregard the entire space program as fake, best fight a fight one could win if one wants to be a Moon...errr...Mars Hoaxer.

-----------------------------

I'm moving to Mars next week, so if you have any boxes...

---Stephen Wright

I've often wondered why quite a few people are so reluctant to accept the fact that mankind has become a space traveling species? Personally I find it to be a wonderfull thing and very exciting. It is the future of mankind after all.

It's sort of like riding a bike in heavy winter conditions. You might know it's possible because you do it...others think it impossible because they've never tried. Most people can't even describe what happens when one 'orbits'. The idea of applying the brakes to go faster, for example...an alien concept. Going to the Moon??....oooooooo...brain hurts.

:lol:

-----------------------------------------

Let's go!!

---Yuri Gagarin

Perhaps that's true these days, but it is also in conjunction with digital data arriving from space. So unless one wants to disregard the entire space program as fake, best fight a fight one could win if one wants to be a Moon...errr...Mars Hoaxer.

Good point...you can't fake telemetry and imaging data with PhotoShop.

Ha ha. I once knew a guy who lived with his mommy and would come over to my place to toke up. One night he started to rant and rave that the US had not really landed on the moon but that it was all staged in a studio somewhere and he could prove it because he had read it in the National Enquirer. I couldn't stop laughing at the guy. He got really huffy and left. The next morning I went out and found my tires had been slashed. It was worth it.

Now here is an image from the Phoenix Mars Lander that should be interesting, except for those who think it's all just a huge waste of money. Everybody else...take a peek:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/...ress/10854.html

The Americans send a satellite to another planet and the satellite has the name "Canada" on its cover.

Is that the point of this thread?

Yes....apparently somebody in Canada thought it important enough to do it. Right here on Earth, when I buy auto parts they have the same thing....Made in Canada.

I'm actually surprised Canadian media hasn't ran with this football right to the goal line. They mentioned 'the Canadian weather station' but paid little notice to that amazing photo. Oh well...we saw it...lol.

------------------------------------------------

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

---Arthur C. Clarke

I'm actually surprised Canadian media hasn't ran with this football right to the goal line. They mentioned 'the Canadian weather station' but paid little notice to that amazing photo. Oh well...we saw it...lol.

It is strange that they haven't done so. We use to get glorious photos of the logo on Canadarm, even when US media made no mention of where the "Shuttle Remote Manipulator System: SRMS" came from. Pretty hard to ignore!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm.../Canada_arm.jpg

I for one welcome it in every way, and despite naysayers, a majority of Canadians would take pride in such achievements / recognition. Peacekeeping on Mars...maybe that would do it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004