Stanley Cup 2008

I heard them blathering on about the Stanley Cup this morning on the radio so I decided to find a site with the various teams lined up. (I notice that Toronto isn't in the list. What happened? The presence of Montreal explains all those silly flags on cars that I see now.) So, here we go for my predictions:

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal Canadiens vs. (8) Boston Bruins

Gotta go with Montreal. It would be mean if all those bought flags for no purpose. Montreal in 6!

(2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators

I kind of like keeping Ottawa around, toying with them, before finishing them off quickly. Ottawa in 5!

(3) Washington Capitals vs. (6) Philadelphia Flyers

Hmm. Toughie. This one will definitely go the limit. Given the recent news headlines, The City of Brotherly Love in 7!

(4) New Jersey Devils vs. (5) New York Rangers

Boy, the airlines are going to make a fortune out of this contest. Wasn't there a Ranger mixed up in that Spitzer sex scandal? The Rangers have the mojo. Rangers in 4!

Western Conference

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (8) Nashville Predators

I gotta thing for Gordie Howe and Diana Ross. Nashville? Elvis? No way. Detroit in 6!

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (7) Calgary Flames

Those sharks will swim through the flames to get to victory. (Isn't San Jose near the Mexican border? Why do they have a hockey team? It must be a good one to survive there.) San Jose in 6!

(3) Minnesota Wild vs. (6) Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche. What a dumb name. Does the goalie collapse when the opponenst come near the net? Nevertheless, Colorado it is in 7!

(4) Anaheim Ducks vs. (5) Dallas Stars

Hmmm. Another toughie, and my crystal ball just isn't coming up with a winner. I'll have to get my cat involved in this one. He knows more about pro hockey than I do. Well, the critter's got 4 paws way up for Dallas. There it is, Dallas in 4!

----

If I understand properly, I have to wait until these quarter finals are over before I make my next predictions. In the meantime, you can take these to the bank - but make sure you deal with an honourable bookie.

Eastern Conference

Gotta go with Montreal. It would be mean if all those bought flags for no purpose. Montreal in 6!

agreed

I kind of like keeping Ottawa around, toying with them, before finishing them off quickly. Ottawa in 5!

not likely. No goaltending , no spirit it seems. One game 8 goals, none for the next two. Pens in 5 or 6

Hmm. Toughie. This one will definitely go the limit. Given the recent news headlines, The City of Brotherly Love in 7!

Caps have momentum and Ovechkin. Flyers still have probs in goal- Caps in 6

Boy, the airlines are going to make a fortune out of this contest. Wasn't there a Ranger mixed up in that Spitzer sex scandal? The Rangers have the mojo. Rangers in 4!

Nobody beats Brodeur in 4.Best goalie on the planet bar none. NJ in 6

Western Conference

I gotta thing for Gordie Howe and Diana Ross. Nashville? Elvis? No way. Detroit in 6!

agreed

Those sharks will swim through the flames to get to victory. (Isn't San Jose near the Mexican border? Why do they have a hockey team? It must be a good one to survive there.) San Jose in 6!

too much firepower on SJ-0hottest team in hockey- Kipper has to stone em to have a chance, so SJ in 6

Colorado Avalanche. What a dumb name. Does the goalie collapse when the opponenst come near the net? Nevertheless, Colorado it is in 7!

Minny in a snorefest- Sakic Foresberg Foote notwithstanding- 5 games

Hmmm. Another toughie, and my crystal ball just isn't coming up with a winner. I'll have to get my cat involved in this one. He knows more about pro hockey than I do. Well, the critter's got 4 paws way up for Dallas. There it is, Dallas in 4!

Richrads is the key. He gets hot and Dallas could beat them. but experience says Anaheim in 7

----

5% will do?

Three years and counting for Toronto. Ottawa is lucky though, we could have knocked them out for the 5th time.

Ouch!

Edited by guyser

QUOTE(August1991 @ Apr 7 2008, 03:50 PM)

Eastern Conference

agreed

not likely. No goaltending , no spirit it seems. One game 8 goals, none for the next two. Pens in 5 or 6

Caps have momentum and Ovechkin. Flyers still have probs in goal- Caps in 6

Nobody beats Brodeur in 4.Best goalie on the planet bar none. NJ in 6

Western Conference

agreed

too much firepower on SJ-0hottest team in hockey- Kipper has to stone em to have a chance, so SJ in 6

Minny in a snorefest- Sakic Foresberg Foote notwithstanding- 5 games

Richrads is the key. He gets hot and Dallas could beat them. but experience says Anaheim in 7

Alas, my poor (overpaid) Leafs

East

1)Agree with you both

2)Gotta go with guyser on that one. The Sens have been in a downward spiral or far too long to go anywhere.

3)I notice, guyser, that you didn't mention Huet! I think that he gives the Caps the edge.

4) Sean Avery. At any rate, I'll give it to the Rangers because of the head to head record (Rangers are 7-0-1) and the Rangers' better goals for stat.

West

1)Agree with you both again, though Tootoo should be interesting to watch.

2)I'm going to buck the trend and go with the Flames in 7; I'm thinking Regher, Phaneuf et al will shut down Thornton.

3)I'll go with the Wild as well. Too many health and age question with thet Avs

4)Gotta go with the Ducks as well. if Pronger doesn't jump on anyone and get suspended.

Montreal will win the cup.

End of Story

Cough cough......

The only way they will win is if the West beats the living crap out of each other and come to the Stanley table with more bruises and bumps than anyone in the East.

Not saying they wont.....just that the cards have to fall only one way.

Cough cough......

The only way they will win is if the West beats the living crap out of each other and come to the Stanley table with more bruises and bumps than anyone in the East.

Not saying they wont.....just that the cards have to fall only one way.

Im going with a final similar to 1989--Calgary and Montreal! You heard it hear first! :P

Because of this forum, I can now take pride in knowing more about hockey than Stéphane Dion.

Michel Fortier, the senator/chaperon of Harper's wife in Montreal, is predicting that the New York Rangers will win the Stanley Cup. This prediction attracted the attention of Montreal's press:

Fortier, who is also minister for public works, has come in for teasing since he predicted to a Montreal newspaper this week that the Canadiens would be beaten by the Rangers in the second round and that the Rangers would go on to win the Cup.

While Fortier might be applauded for his candour, he nonetheless violated a cardinal rule in the political playbook: Always cheer for the home team and always predict that the home team will win.

In a conversation earlier in the day, Fortier stuck to his prediction.

He pointed out, however, that at least he knew who the Canadiens were playing in the first round, a shot at Liberal leader Stéphane Dion, who had to skate around the question Wednesday until an aide whispered in his ear that the Habs were meeting the Boston Bruins in the best-of-seven series.

Link

I have no idea if predicting that the New York Rangers will win the Stanley Cup makes sense or not. My cat rolls over every time I ask him and poke him so even he doesn't know. But even I know that Montreal is playing against Boston.

-----

Montreal today? Kids in the street wear hockey shirts. Even adults wear hockey shirts. Cars have those stupid flags wheeled in windows. Newspapers and radios talk about hockey, and then talk about hockey. If I understand properly, Montreal has won the Stanley Cup 24 times and so this would be 25. Apparently, this is a Big Deal.

In short, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer large cities. Small cities, like Montreal, become obsessed with sports teams. In big cities, there are enough people like Stéphane Dion and me to dominate the situation. Sport teams find their true place in the universe. In London, Moscow, Paris and New Delhi, no one puts flags in windows to signal their support for a sports team. Dion is a true cosmopolitan, like me.

I'd really like New York to win if only to stop all this nonsense. Does New York have a chance?

Edited by August1991

San Jose near the Mexican border???!!! :blink:

Geography and hockey predictions are not your strong point. ;)

That Habs/Bruins series was a doozy, eh? A real riot.

R R R.....

One of the best series I've seen in recent memory...just like back in the 70s..end to end action coupled with brilliant goal tending....

R R R.....

One of the best series I've seen in recent memory...just like back in the 70s..end to end action coupled with brilliant goal tending....

Was nap time during the 5th and 6th game then? That wasnt great goaltending in those games.

Glad MTL won though....but far happier that the Sens were spanked in 4.

Wash/Philly tonight. Go AO!

Even more action AFTER the game....can't wait to see what happens if the Habs win the Cup!

They set a new record of 16 cop cars trashed. I don't watch much hockey but I watched this last game in this series. (Habs Bruins) and it seemed like the Habs had a great goalie, but not much on defence, and the Bruins had some great defence but the goaltender was lacking.

Also Chara is so huge you can tell the gap that he covers when not on the ice.

That Habs/Bruins series was a doozy, eh? A real riot.
There was glass all over Ste-Catherines street this morning. Since I still see the hockey flags on people's cars, I gather that Montreal won. For some people apparently, any excuse is good to burn a police car.

I hope there are no moral relativists who will argue that burning police cars is a legitimate form of expression. (I did hear someone on the radio this morning arguing that the police "provoked" the crowd.)

ETA: I just noticed that I predicted Montreal in 6 and Philadelphia in 7! Do I know how to call 'em or what!

Edited by August1991

Was nap time during the 5th and 6th game then? That wasnt great goaltending in those games.

There was brilliant goal tending in those games. Just not for Montreal...

The Bruins played very well and certainly deserved to be in the Playoffs. Shame they had to play Montreal right from the get go....

Montreal will win the cup.

End of Story

Well Dancer you and I finally agree on something! Someone told me that it will probably be the Sharks vs the Canadiens. Personally I like to see the Flames vs the Canadiens, just to see the reaction in the house of Commons among the west vs east, with Montreal winning of course.

Well Dancer you and I finally agree on something! Someone told me that it will probably be the Sharks vs the Canadiens. Personally I like to see the Flames vs the Canadiens, just to see the reaction in the house of Commons among the west vs east, with Montreal winning of course.

The flames were beat out of the playoffs fully 12 hours before you posted this..

Pens will take Rangers in 6

Habs will take Philly in 6

Wings over Avs in 5

Sharks beat Stars in 7

So...then the Habs will beat the pens to meet the San Jose Sharks and sadly for all , the Habs will lose in 6. I want the Habs to win, but I think Sharks are the go to team this year.

Pens will take Rangers in 6

Habs will take Philly in 6

Wings over Avs in 5

Sharks beat Stars in 7

So...then the Habs will beat the pens to meet the San Jose Sharks and sadly for all , the Habs will lose in 6. I want the Habs to win, but I think Sharks are the go to team this year.

No. you. are. wrong.

Habs will meet Detroit.