Honda

I'm quite happy with my GM vehicles. Nothing against the imports, I just like GM's better.

Our next car will most likely be a Toyota.

....more to do with getting a family discount than anything....that and the high ratings they get

Given that the cars from all major manufacturers are built along the same basic principles any differences tend to be more minor than major. I've used both imports and domestic products and what I've found makes the most significant differences is the planned maintenance schedule of the vehicle. Currently our oldest vehicle where I work is a 2000 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. Due to the fact that I keep all our vehicles on a strictly enforced maintenance schedule this vehicle looks a little rough but continues to function in first class manner. Keep in mind that our vehicles see very heavy use and very high mileage.

I think one area of major difference would be after sale customer care. It's been my experience that the Japanese dealers, Toyota particularly, tend to provide far better customer support than their North American counterparts.

I think one area of major difference would be after sale customer care. It's been my experience that the Japanese dealers, Toyota particularly, tend to provide far better customer support than their North American counterparts.

We have had a variety vehicles over the last couple decades. The best service by far was By Toyota and Nissan (never had a Honda). The worse Chrysler and GM (never had a Ford).

We're in the market for a subcompact runabout to supplement our aging Jeep. We'll buy a Japanese model precisely because of holding the value and service. There's little things they do that make the difference. As simple as always keeping a parking space open next to the service center, follow up call to make sure all is well, etc. I'm sure the Big 3 American companies spend hundreds of millions a year over the last 60 years on customer service but somehow I still feel like I'm the problem when taking a vehicle back when not serviced correctly. In contrast, the Japanese car's service department apologizes to me and I receive a call from the service manager.

The main reason that alot of domestic vehicles haven't kept their resale value was because they sold so many vehicles as rental cars. When the rental companies sold these for cheap it dragged down the resale value of everyone's cars. With GM reducing the amount of vehicles they sell to rental companies, you will see a rebound in their resale price.

They started this last year so keep watching!

The main reason that alot of domestic vehicles haven't kept their resale value was because they sold so many vehicles as rental cars. When the rental companies sold these for cheap it dragged down the resale value of everyone's cars. With GM reducing the amount of vehicles they sell to rental companies, you will see a rebound in their resale price.

They started this last year so keep watching!

Why would that make a difference? For there to be a difference the total number of cars used by rental cars would need to decline. Rental companies are going great guns. If they aren't buying a GM product then it is another make and those cars come on the market.

The reason our Nissan held it's value was because at 160 thousand kms it was only half way through it's life when we sold it. In contrast Our Pontiac Sunbird, the junkmobile, was at 120 thousand and we gave it to the kid next door.

Edited by oreodontist

I will tell you what effect that will have. If they can't make money here, they won't try to. People will still buy Hondas and Toyotas because they want them, just as people still but Mercs and BMWs....and instead of giving a few thousand Canadians high paying jobs, they will be unemployed.

You're contradicting yourself.

People won't be buying Hondas when the prices skyrocket because of punitve duties.

I see no reason whatsoever for giving any nation access to our markets, when we are denied access to theirs.

Period.

And our auto sector is quickly on its way to being unemployed anyway.

The reason our Nissan held it's value was because at 160 thousand kms it was only half way through it's life when we sold it. In contrast Our Pontiac Sunbird, the junkmobile, was at 120 thousand and we gave it to the kid next door.

What kind of PM schedule do you have your cars on? Those mileages are pretty low for vehicles that have been maintained on a regular schedule. For instance, all our vehicles recieve oil changes every 10,000 km, religiously. Our old Dodge truck is now sitting close to 550,000 km and still runs smooth as silk. Granted they're eight cylinder engines, but given a good maintenance schedule and proper upkeep even a Sunbird (garbage car by the way) should easily give you twice the mileage that it did.

Angus while i agree with everything you said the Sunbird/Cavilier was a junk car amongst junk cars . How do you even check the automatic transmission fluid on a car that in an effort to cut costs they deleted the dip stick on the transmission .

Angus while i agree with everything you said the Sunbird/Cavilier was a junk car amongst junk cars . How do you even check the automatic transmission fluid on a car that in an effort to cut costs they deleted the dip stick on the transmission .

Seriously ? They did that?

I should not be surprised.....since I have never checked it on any of my 6 or 7 cars...ever.So how would I know?

So I had tranny trouble in January...the guy asks when I last checked it. I opened the car door, looked at the manufacture date of the car and said "some guy named 48 when he built it."

I got the googly eye from him....I just told him without people like me your business would be worse. he laughed and said yup .

(for the record - tranny = transmission...not the "other" )

Edited by guyser

Seriously ? They did that?

I should not be surprised.....since I have never checked it on any of my 6 or 7 cars...ever.So how would I know?

So I had tranny trouble in January...the guy asks when I last checked it. I opened the car door, looked at the manufacture date of the car and said "some guy named 48 when he built it."

I got the googly eye from him....I just told him without people like me your business would be worse. he laughed and said yup .

(for the record - tranny = transmission...not the "other" )

At least your more honest than most of us!

My father was a mechanic and he said it was a toss up what was worse...the do nothing driver or the one that gets everything serviced on schedule. The more they fiddle with your vehicle the more chance they'll totally f...k something up....leave a bolt loose, forget to tighten a hose, etc.

At least your more honest than most of us!

I actually know a fair bit about engines, its just that I could care less about my car most times. I get the oil changed once in awhile too. When I hear that ticking on the cylinders ( I think) I know its time to add some more. Go ahead and laugh , it happened at Christmas. And whi8le laughing...my family always calls me for car advice.

But I keep it nice and clean inside. My boat, well thats my baby so I treat it well all the time. Always check the oil, every weekend, do minor tune ups, thankfully it is a regular car engine, no computers and it has a distributor so I can change out the plugs.

But dont mistreat my knives.Put a knife in the sink and I will kill ya. Go figure.

Noooo...stop, please stop! What I'm hearing hurts!

They're really quite simple. The best combination is one of service and user maintenance.

The engine should never get to the point where it makes any sort of ticking sound. If it does it means you've run her almost dry. Each time it starts to tick it means you're taking major kilometers off its life for each kilometer driven.

The policy we use at our company is actually one I learnt in the forces, a solid planned maintenance schedule. Part of that is each user being responsible for basic preventive maintenance on the vehicle. That means that each person holding a vehicle is responsible for checking the mechanical readiness of the vehicle each day it's used. Thats what our policy says anyway.

The reality (policy aside) is that each vehicle is checked at least once every twelve days. The check takes between ten to fifteen minutes, not much really. It helps reduce costs in a major way, when our vehicles go in for service its never for engine or tranny, usually its for workplace abuse (dings, dents) or required replacements (shocks), brakes (quite a bit of the time the guys do the brakes themselves though, simple job.)

Overall what I've found though is the same thing the commercials for lube places always tout, regular oil changes and lube jobs will extend the life of your vehicle at least two fold if not more. Also wash the vehicle at least 12 times a year. It really doesn't matter how nice the interior is if the vehicle is falling apart around you.

Noooo...stop, please stop! What I'm hearing hurts!

Aw quityerbitchin. You think it hurts? Try my wallet . Actually it isnt that bad a hit. I trade them in before they get too bad.

They're really quite simple. The best combination is one of service and user maintenance.

The engine should never get to the point where it makes any sort of ticking sound. If it does it means you've run her almost dry. Each time it starts to tick it means you're taking major kilometers off its life for each kilometer driven.

Dad is that you?

I have heard that ad naseum from my dad ,RIP, growing up. The only problem is that he couldnt fix an engine or do maintenance either.He did however get reg shceduled maintenance. That part I never learned.

Do you know how I found out what was wrong the last time? I called a mechanic friend in New York and asked what the hell is red fluid doing on my driveway! He asked how long it has been there , "oh about 3 weeks now" . ( I was on the 401 at the time)

Your regularly scheduled repairs are all well and good, since you make money if the truck is on the road....and none when it is down. I get that , and in high school I drove for a tux rental company and had to tkae care of the truck. No problem when its my job on the line.

But when I got into this business and have auto shops as clients, I just forgot about all that. Now I drive it over and leave it...when I remember. They find my car in the morning and call me asking whats wrong? how should I know, if I knew I would fix it.

I did get the recall fixed....................3 years later. Dont ask what I did to the Windstar.

OMG!

You guys have turned this into another car forum! What better proof do I need to show that the car market is extremely competitive and everyone - from an ordinary car buyer through to an engineer designing a new brake valve - is looking for a better product at a lower price.

When people tell me that "western capitalism" is all about advertising and stupid people, I think about the car market. This thread is proof that 1) people care about information that is useful, 2) advertisers can't really fool people about things that matter, 3) smart focussed people know little about things that don't matter to them (because they care about things that do matter) and 4) modern capitalism will succeed but modern democracy is f**ked.

----

Now, should I report this thread to Greg? We're supposed to discuss politics here. What does the death of a tranny have to do with politics?

Edited by August1991

You're contradicting yourself.

People won't be buying Hondas when the prices skyrocket because of punitve duties.

I see no reason whatsoever for giving any nation access to our markets, when we are denied access to theirs.

Period.

And our auto sector is quickly on its way to being unemployed anyway.

No contradiction. People buy the car they want like Mercedez or BMW or Volvo....all your proposal will do is boost employement in the USA.

Generally the first one is one year (I think they might have gone to eight months for the first). After that whether its renewed or not is dependent on performance. I did my initial contract then was hired on an indefinite basis subject to annual review. Things might have changed since I left though (three years ago).

Buzz has said over and over again, the price of a car is only 4% by the effect of wage increases. As you also now, the CEO's still are making wage profits themselves and are not hurting. By the time the UAW and CAW get done with their talks with the Big 3 their wages will be 12-14 hrly and they will be giving up more to keep their jobs which is always threaten by the companies. Its only a matter of time before you see all companies tell employees, you are going to make half as much as you make now or we will move to India or China. This will have a chain reaction when people start losing their homes because of cut in pay, can't make their bills and in the community will lose their tax dollars. The manufacturing sector is going to be in big trouble and the Feds don't seem to care much.

Given the CAW and UAW's position, I find it surprising that they do not open their own car manufacturing facilities. They they would be free to pay employees whatever wages they now themselves demand, cut out the margin which now goes to the CEO, and no doubt produce an outstanding quality car for the lowest price.

Hmm, could it be that what they say is not what they believe?