Conservative attack ads

I have no use at all for the CBC as they are simply Liberal-supporting hacks. They air junk, and suck on the public-money tit. Axe them altogether and save taxpayers a billion a year.

That being said...how can you fault them for doing what they say they're going to do. No political ads. For anyone.

Credit where credit is due. The CBC is bang-on correct and should be commended.

I can't help but wonder what CBC's reply would have been if it was the Liberals that initially approached them to run Liberal ads on CBC.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What logic? That the CBC is partisan because it enforced a nonpartisan policy? That's not logic that's ranting without reason. Smallc and mdancer are right.

Proving you are a lemming unable to think for yourself

Smallc and Dancer are from the entitled generation - everything for nothing.

As long as they get their welfare cheque or its equivalent - and someone else pays - they are quite happy.

As long as it is free - they will pontificate and gloat.

Someday they might actually have to prove their worth by making an honourable living

And you just might learn to think independently rather than simply follow the crowd

CBC = Air junk - Gotta remember that one!

Borg

Edited by Borg

I can't help but wonder what CBC's reply would have been if it was the Liberals that initially approached them to run Liberal ads on CBC.

How can you even think that?

It would have been a go and you know it

Borg

If any party has shown who can waste money its the Tories. That same ad is showing in Nfld and if they think people will change their minds about Iggy by this ad, no wonder Canada is in financial mess! I think the ad is stupid, everyone know Iggy lived outside of Canada, big deal. A better ad for the oppositions would be , why are the Tories putting out an ad that should be seen at election time. The Tories are going to be judged on THEIR record.....yeah, I guess you would have to have attack ads now. If I were the opposition parties I wouldn't go for an election now, let the Tories hang in there. There's alot of people hurting with no jobs and the Chalk River and people may not getting treatments, people will become very angry and show it at the voting box! BTW, is the Oct9th still the election day or did Harper change his mind there too again?

My logic is based on the fact that the ad uses blatant out-of-context quoting (or, as we call it in the biz, quote mining). It's a dishonest, dishonorable tactic. Yes, I'm aware the Liberals do it. In fact, all political parties do it, because political parties are populated by the morally degenerate. It's just that the Conservative party is doubly hypocritical in that it seems to believe itself God's Own Party.

What I'd give for an actual discourse on the economy, rather than spin doctors inventing B.S. ads to attack each other with.

Which quotes by Ignatieff were taken "out of context".....and why do you think they were out of context? They all seem pretty factual to me - perhaps regrettable by Mr. Ignatieff, but factual.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Any time you take one line out of an entire interview or speech, it's out of context.

Have you read Iggy's body of work? Or do you blindly support people?

Iggy is very pro-torture, very American (he refers to himself as an American numerous times in speeches and in his literature).

You should really read The Lesser Evil, Blood and Belonging and American Exceptionalism and Human Rights.

Knowing your political outlook, I'm sure you'll be campaigning against him once your done.

How can you even think that?

It would have been a go and you know it

Borg

I think the Conservatives should be entitled to CBC air time in their quest to inform Canadians what Iggy has to say about himself.

This is in the national interest of all Canadians.

Between general elections the Corporation makes program time available to political parties represented in the House of Commons and the provincial legislatures so that they may explain their positions on issues of interest directly to the citizens they represent.

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/docs/polici...ime/index.shtml

I think the Conservatives should be entitled to CBC air time in their quest to inform Canadians what Iggy has to say about himself.

This is in the national interest of all Canadians.

Between general elections the Corporation makes program time available to political parties represented in the House of Commons and the provincial legislatures so that they may explain their positions on issues of interest directly to the citizens they represent.

between federal general elections, the Harper Conservatives are entitled to CBC air time, as are all "federal parties to which the House of Commons has accorded official party status and privileges in the conduct of parliamentary business".

in your zeal, you failed to read the complete policy... or you choose to ignore/cherry pick: within 'section1-5-1', Interpretive Guidelines and Applicable Programs are defined:

Applicable programs:

The Nation’s Business and La Politique fédérale.

These regularly scheduled programs represent the free network program time offered to federal political parties, between federal general election campaigns.

hey now! Why haven't we seen the Harper Conservatives exercise this available CBC avenue? Of course! It's because it's an outlet that provides equal time to opposing parties? Clearly the Harper Conservatives must favour the drive-by smear type attack ads rather than having opposition views presented within an equally proportioned program time split.

Clearly the Harper Conservatives must favour the drive-by smear type attack ads rather than having opposition views presented within an equally proportioned program time split.

Verifying what Mr. Ignatieff has stated in the past about himself and his opinions, I would not label them as being call attack ads.

Unless you consider Mr. Ignatief is attacking himself.

The bottom line is the rules of the CBC are not in line with other television broadcasters in Canada or in the U.S.

If there is no agreement based upon the CBC proposal the allocation will be decided upon by the CBC.

Canada is touted as a free and democratic country.

What is a 'commie style' television broadcaster (CBC) doing in Canada?

Knowing your political outlook, I'm sure you'll be campaigning against him once your done.

Maybe you should read True Patriot Love. Ignatieff as is Canadian as me...and a bit more so than some others it seems. Everyone makes mistakes on their positions because non of us are perfect. I didn't hopd the Prime Ministers positions against him, until he started lying about every idea that Canada was founded upon.

The bottom line is the rules of the CBC are not in line with other television broadcasters in Canada or in the U.S.

Canada is touted as a free and democratic country.

What is a 'commie style' television broadcaster (CBC) doing in Canada?

the bottom line is you can't seem to be able to read the CBC's expressed policy - a completely equitable policy - one fair to all recognized political parties.

And why would that be? Perhaps because it's a Crown corporation and not a private business? I can't understand how it is that those who are faulting the CBC for not airing the govenrning party's political ads can't see that a corporate body of the government doing so would be a conflict of interest. You want communist television? The state broadcaster airing government propaganda would be exactly that.

[ed. to clarify]

Edited by g_bambino

Proving you are a lemming unable to think for yourself

Smallc and Dancer are from the entitled generation - everything for nothing.

As long as they get their welfare cheque or its equivalent - and someone else pays - they are quite happy.

As long as it is free - they will pontificate and gloat.

Someday they might actually have to prove their worth by making an honourable living

And you just might learn to think independently rather than simply follow the crowd

CBC = Air junk - Gotta remember that one!

Borg

Didn't take you long to go straight to personal insults. It's amusing to read your response when the 1st thing you did in this thread was agree with the op just like a good lemming. Instead of posting cbc = bad maybe you can explain why the CBC are Liberal flunkies by sticking to their nonpartisan policy.

Which quotes by Ignatieff were taken "out of context".....and why do you think they were out of context? They all seem pretty factual to me - perhaps regrettable by Mr. Ignatieff, but factual.

This one from http://www.ignatieff.me/news/?p=5

On Tuesday Michael Ignatieff finally let the cat out of the bag about the Liberal’s agenda to raise taxes on all Canadians:

* “We will have to raise taxes” – Michael Ignatieff (‘Tax hike likely unavoidable, Liberal leader says’, Kitchener-Waterloo Record, April 14, 2009)

What Liberal agenda is that? Ignatieff said that he doesn't want to load a deficit onto future generations, that honest politicians shouldn't rule out tax hikes as an option to recover from deficit spending and that you can't raise taxes if it'd hurt economic recovery. That's not an agenda to raise taxes it's an honest assessment of how Canada might have to deal with its current record deficit. Ignatieff has said lots of stuff that can be used against him because he's had a career where's he's said lots of stuff publicly but the Conservatives still resorted to taking quotes out of context to try and paint Ignatieff as something he's not.

the bottom line is you can't seem to be able to read the CBC's expressed policy - a completely equitable policy - one fair to all recognized political parties.

Who is the CBC to write any type of political rules especially relating to national federal parties?

CBC policy should be no different than any other Canadian television broadcasters relating to buying time for political ads (commercials) but with the emphasis being more on Canadian content.

The CBC is paid for by all tax payers in Canada but the CBC has political affiliations with the Liberal government.

Political patronage at the CBC is so deeply entrenched almost all current CBC Board members have affiliations to the Liberal government.

89% of appointees have been affiliated with the governing political party.

The same applies to the CRTC.

87% of appointees to the CRTC were affiliated with the governing party

https://www.friends.ca/press-release/160

Example:

"How is it that CBC's national news desk has in the recent past given lengthy coverage to a paltry 200 individuals at a pro-marijuana rally on the Hill," asks the letter, "but fails to notice 12,000+ prolife citizens overflowing the grounds of Parliament Hill?"

"Is this not proof of a double standard which favours 'socially liberal' causes?"

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/may/09052508.html

CBC is a crown corporation that is supposed operate at arms length from government control.

This follows the legal premise that the Crown, as an institution, owns all the property of government at the federal and provincial level. In practice, however, most Crown corporations operate at arm's length from the government, with direct government control only being exerted over the corporation's budget and the appointment of its chairperson and directors through Order-in-Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_corporations_of_Canada

CBC is a Liberal politically correct organization which protects Liberal ideologies.

Interesting if you think about it ... This CBC policy of not accepting political ads except during elections ... It must have been established under the Liberals, to avoid such pressure from them.

I'll bet the tories thought it was alright then ... but not now!

Too friggen predictable ... Politicians are all so predictably petty.

Who the frig is running the country while they are wasting our money on such stupid crap! :rolleyes: