Toronto School Board eyes "Afro-centric" school

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to sunny days?

Isn't diversity supposed to be a source of strength?

Can white kids get their own schools too?

This is maybe the dumbest thing I've seen all week, and this is a week in which Donald Trump as been all over the news.

Also several years old.

Edited by Boges

What happened to sunny days?

Isn't diversity supposed to be a source of strength?

Can white kids get their own schools too?

This is maybe the dumbest thing I've seen all week, and this is a week in which Donald Trump as been all over the news.

I don't know what sunny daysis.

Tell that diversity sticht to people in chinatown, pole town, jewtown, little italy, greektown, koreatown, corktown (ireland), little india, little iran, little pakistan, little portugal,. If diversity is a strength, it certainly seems wrong to force only one hated group of people into the schools of racially perfered ethnic groups. Why should the original canadian be forced into the school with the italian catholics, when the italian catholics purposely separate themselves from the French Catholics and british secular people and jew schools?

I think white kids can get their own schools. It is my view that this currently already occurs though. Most schools have their curriculum designed on the board level, which is usually white majority. Additionally, if Italian, roman catholic, german, russian, ukranian, irish protestant, english secular, french catholic, french secular are not white schools, I am not sure what would be "White" enough to qualify. I certainly think of a roman catholic school named after rome in europe to be white and white centric.

I am curious, if you feel the current model is not white enough, how would you make it more white? There are hardly any non-whites in the books or the curriculum. So please do enlighten me, how can you make it any whiter.

• 1 month later...

Toronto Star

This subject was somewhat in the spotlight in Toronto a little while ago. I'm not sure if the topic was raised then, but it seems to have reared up again.

My initial - and almost automatic - response to these proposals is one of offence. It seems to me like a beautiful example of state-sanctioned multiculturalism gone madly awry. Really, what's it to be? Integrated cultural mosaic or selective ethno-racial ghettoization?

I can understand gender-specific schools; gender is inborn and there may be benefits to separating the two for purposes of education. But culture is as tonal as skin colour, and the two are not inseparably linked. Thus, a kid in Canada is a kid in Canada; regardless of their background or the shade of their epidermis, in school they should all learn equally the proper skills and cognitive thought processes on which to build the next phase of their education, not singled out as "special" or "different" because their mommy is from Jamaica or they were born in Vietnam. At home is where they should be learning their familial and cultural roots; it is the job of the parents to teach these things, not the crown.

How is having an all black school going to change them in any way? Will the be taught the same education as the rest of the other pupils in other schools? Will the test scores be lowered to accommodate them in passing and getting a job? Indeed this multiculturalism program that was foisted on Canadians by Liberalism only ever offers disunity, and never unites. With the Liberals constantly running the country I would not be surprised if every different ethnic group out there ends up having their own schools. In BC I believe that there are some Punjabi schools allowed. Who is next?

Yup, multiculturalism, isn't it wonderful? It sure knows how to unite people together alright.

• 2 months later...

How is having an all black school going to change them in any way? Will the be taught the same education as the rest of the other pupils in other schools? Will the test scores be lowered to accommodate them in passing and getting a job? Indeed this multiculturalism program that was foisted on Canadians by Liberalism only ever offers disunity, and never unites. With the Liberals constantly running the country I would not be surprised if every different ethnic group out there ends up having their own schools. In BC I believe that there are some Punjabi schools allowed. Who is next?

Yup, multiculturalism, isn't it wonderful? It sure knows how to unite people together alright.

Afrocentric schooling will have African students and education as the focus rather than a tangenial subject of white people. Thinking back to my elementary and high school education, the only times African Canadians were mentioned was in the context of slavery or segregation and they were close to being non-existent in the books in general.

They will be taught the same curriculum in the sense that they will have to learn to read, write, math, science etc. The difference is that the content will be presented from an African perspective not from a Eurocentric one.

"Will the test scores be lowered to accommodate them in passing and getting a job?"

The real question is why would you even ask that question? Who mentioned lowering test scores, although I think that assumption is very revealing on your part. Afrocentric education is highly necessary because what the parents have learned is anti-African hatred is widespread within Canadian society specifically Toronto, and that getting a job to work for people who hate you is not even a very good idea. In fact they are learning it is much better they simply start their own businesses than to deal with people who harass you for your skin color at work every day.

"Indeed this multiculturalism program that was foisted on Canadians by Liberalism only ever offers disunity, and never unites."

. You cannot "unite" with a societies that views you as a subhuman. However the African Canadian communities certainly can and should unite amongst themselves. You seem to be for unity, so long as it is not Acitas uniting with themselves.

"With the Liberals constantly running the country I would not be surprised if every different ethnic group out there ends up having their own schools. In BC I believe that there are some Punjabi schools allowed. Who is next? "

I don't know but Toronto has over 90 cultural schools, so if it is your general argument that cultural schools are bad, then you have to go back to the constitution because it starts there with the whole Quebec and catholic school guarantee.

"Yup, multiculturalism, isn't it wonderful? It sure knows how to unite people together alright. "

Well I do agree mutliculturalism, is a bad idea. its based on some myth that racist people who moved from nazi germany and facist italy, and the rest of the Nazi states of Europe who voted in Hitler and fought and died defending Nazism, will somehow walk into Canada become teachers in schools and somehow treat the people they were trying to murder and genocide in their home nations fairly. Anyone who believes in that surely must be an idiot. The idea you can get any unity out of that situation is foolishness.