NO

B. Max

• Forum Admin

What the problem here?

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask you to write clear and concise thread titles - is it?

Charles has changed the title of a few threads to increase the visibility and readability of the threads. Ambiguous thread titles - particularly in a forum with thousands of threads - means less people read and participate in the thread.

Even though I've been asked a few times to "fix" my posts, I must admit, he does a wonderful job.

But I can't help but notice that this role of moderator must be conflicting with his own political views. From what I gather, he is quite the anti-interventionist libertarian, yet on this site he acts in the role of an interventionist, albeit with seemingly popular support, with the goal of making this site run more smoothly and in helping it retain more of a civilized tone (which is also why I come back to this site after being disenchanted with all the others msg boards taken over by extremist partisan hacks and conspiracy theorists). <_<

What the problem here?

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask you to write clear and concise thread titles - is it?

Charles has changed the title of a few threads to increase the visibility and readability of the threads. Ambiguous thread titles - particularly in a forum with thousands of threads - means less people read and participate in the thread.

Oh really? Is that the only reason he's changed thread titles?

Watching Higgly try to turn "He Edited My Thread Title" into the internet's longest-running serial melodrama has been interesting.

Stupid, but interesting.

-k

That would be "he edited my thread title without any justification". Get your facts straight. We have only one mod who is demonstrably right leaning. It is the duty of all of us who believe that right wingers are evolutionary dead ends to make sure that the right wing doesn't get too intoxicated with its power. I mean, look at Iraq. I added that last bit for you, geoffrey.

Happy now?

Goodness, why do lefties tend to whine so much about perceived injustices they've received. Here's a bit of advice I gave Figgy upon noting a similar whining performance: life. ain't. fair. Here's a bonus you won't see in your lefty circles. The government can't rush in to solve every perceived injustice a citizen overreacts about. Likewise, in this forum you will get along better if you realize the same about the way things are.

Goodness, why do lefties tend to whine so much about perceived injustices they've received. Here's a bit of advice I gave Figgy upon noting a similar whining performance: life. ain't. fair. Here's a bonus you won't see in your lefty circles. The government can't rush in to solve every perceived injustice a citizen overreacts about. Likewise, in this forum you will get along better if you realize the same about the way things are.

Oh but life is fair for those who stand up for themselves and fight. And in any case don't we have here a case of "government" running in to solve a perceived injustice?

But, sharkman I am not at all surprised that you missed the point of all of this since I have long ago assigned your contributions to the same wasteland as the little speech by the beauty contestant who had trouble explaining why a lot of Americans can not find America on a map. Isn't it fun to trade insults?

But, sharkman I am not at all surprised that you missed the point of all of this since I have long ago assigned your contributions to the same wasteland as the little speech by the beauty contestant who had trouble explaining why a lot of Americans can not find America on a map.

Yea, but they had no problem finding Iraq or Afghanistan.

Guest American Woman
No, I'm not kidding. See NAVSTAR GPS and JDAM

So the majority of Americans had no problem finding Iraq and Afghanistan on a map using NAVSTAR GPS and JDAM? Because that's the issue that was brought up-- not being able to find the U.S. on a map. So what you are saying makes no sense. Incredibly, 11% of 18-24 year olds couldn't find the United States on a map; 87 percent couldn't find Iraq and 83 percent couldn't find Afghanistan.

Oh but life is fair for those who stand up for themselves and fight. And in any case don't we have here a case of "government" running in to solve a perceived injustice?

But, sharkman I am not at all surprised that you missed the point of all of this since I have long ago assigned your contributions to the same wasteland as the little speech by the beauty contestant who had trouble explaining why a lot of Americans can not find America on a map. Isn't it fun to trade insults?

No, life is not fair for those who stand up and fight. You may be younger than I thought with such idealistic platitudes. Do you think life is fair for the Palestinians, who have been fighting for their rights? And what insult did I give you?

• Forum Admin
That would be "he edited my thread title without any justification". Get your facts straight. We have only one mod who is demonstrably right leaning. It is the duty of all of us who believe that right wingers are evolutionary dead ends to make sure that the right wing doesn't get too intoxicated with its power.

The justification for the change has been made - just because you disagree with those justifications, does not make it an injustice. I agree with Charles actions - the post titles were inflammatory.

This whole issue is over. You've waste enough of my time over this issue, now drop it.

• Forum Admin

Also note:

All moderation tasks (merging and deleting threads, post reports, etc) are logged and reviewed by me. I have reviewed the logs pertaining to the above incident and I agree with everything Charles has done. Also, if a thread is deleted, or merged, or a thread title is changed and you disagree with the change, please feel free to contact me and I will take a closer look.

Also note, Charles consults with me before making any major changes to threads and or the forums in general.

And finally, the changing of thread titles to increase clarity and readability is rare - and I bet after this incident we all will think twice about posting titles that are ambiguous and or inflammatory.

thanks

Justice to be done, must be seen to be done. I stand by my original point. Moderator edits of member posts should be flagged to show that they have been edited, and the moderator should cite a rules-based reason for having done so. In a democratic polititical forum nothing less can be acceptable. Transparency, Greg.

So the majority of Americans had no problem finding Iraq and Afghanistan on a map using NAVSTAR GPS and JDAM? Because that's the issue that was brought up-- not being able to find the U.S. on a map. So what you are saying makes no sense. Incredibly, 11% of 18-24 year olds couldn't find the United States on a map; 87 percent couldn't find Iraq and 83 percent couldn't find Afghanistan.

That's what happens when you come in on the ass end of a discussion. "Incredibly", these Americans had no difficulty finding Iraq and Afghanisatn on the surface of the planet, not a "map".

Moderator edits of member posts should be flagged to show that they have been edited, and the moderator should cite a rules-based reason for having done so.
The moderators RARELY edit member posts without the consent of the member. When we do, we will cite a reason and we will send you a Personal Message stating so. You have probably gravely contravened the rules when this occurs.

A moderator will edit a member's post without warning generally when time is of the essence or when it is spam. Here are some examples, any suspicion of:

- personal information disclosed about an other member

- something which can conceivably lead MLW into legal trouble

- links to rude our objectionable material

a post will be edited.

Editing a thread title is a different matter because poor thread titles are transparent anyway and they reflect extremely poorly on the forum. Your beef was that you insisted on posting an insulting title for the purposes of insulting a person.

You seem to think that your posts were edited too. They were not. Your silly inflammatory threads were merged with other silly inflammatory threads. All of the individual posts were left intact in chronological order.

--

The irony is that this thread is actually evidence of that and I am sure that most members have been able to figure that out.

For those who have not, the Opening Post of this thread was a botched Personal Message reply to a request to edit the botched title and Opening Insult of the What to with to much money thread. [incidentally, a thread written by a Righty to insult a Lefty.] The member was asked by a moderator to make corrections and remove the inflammatory "Left Layton" label on his own. Now, you know the rest of the story....

The moderators RARELY edit member posts without the consent of the member. When we do, we will cite a reason and we will send you a Personal Message stating so. You have probably gravely contravened the rules.

A moderator will edit a member's post without warning generally when time is of the essence or when it is spam. Here are some examples, any suspicion of:

- personal information disclosed about an other member

- something which can conceivably lead MLW into legal trouble

- links to rude our objectionable material

a post will be edited.

Editing a thread title is a different matter because poor thread titles are transparent anyway and they reflect extremely poorly on the forum. Your beef was that you insisted on posting an insulting title for the purposes of insulting a person.

You seem to think that your posts were edited too. They were not. Your silly inflammatory threads were merged with other silly inflammatory threads. All of the individual posts were left intact in chronological order.

First of all, if you are lookng for insults to people in the political sphere, you need look no further than the Conservative Party's habit of hiring attack ad hacks. Yes, you are right. My thread title was meant to be insulting. Politics is a blood sport. I didn't make it so.

Thread titles reflect on nobody but the poster. This is a debate forum. Watch the thread to see how it will resolve.

As moderator, you have every right to intervene, but as members we have a right to expect transparency.

Do what you will; morituri te salutant

Edited by Higgly

First of all, if you are lookng for insults to people in the political sphere, you need look no further than the Conservative Party's habit of hiring attack ad hacks. Yes, you are right. My thread title was meant to be insulting. Politics is a blood sport. I didn't make it so.

Thread titles reflect on nobody but the poster. This is a debate forum. Watch the thread to see how it will resolve.

As moderator, you have every right to intervene, but as members we have a right to expect transparency.

Do what you will; morituri te salutant

Such drama! All because you weren't allowed to call Stephen Harper fat.

Get out much?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how all those bumbling fools managed to bestride the globe for the last 70 or so years, creating upwards of 50% of the wealth at one point and still serving as the benchmark for the international economy. Must be the resources, right? No, wait, by that measurement Africa should be the hegemon, and the less said about that the better. Hmmm...maybe the US "stole" all the resources...nope, that was the dreaded CoLoNiAlS (reverberating intonation). Obviously it wasn't because they were smrt er enything...I wonder why?