Iran Arming Taliban

LONDON: Iran is supplying the Taliban with weapons and ammunition for use against coalition troops in Afghanistan, a newspaper said on Tuesday, citing a senior British army source.

The Daily Telegraph said that officers in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards were supplying hundreds of weapons, including SA7 Strella surface-to-air missiles, plastic explosives, anti-tank mines, AK47 assault rifles, mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=57191

WASHINGTON — As NATO troops in Afghanistan have begun intercepting sophisticated Iranian arms bound for the Taliban, U.S., NATO and Afghan officials are growing more concerned about Iranian policy in Afghanistan.

It's long been conventional wisdom that Iran's Shiite Muslim rulers would do nothing to destabilize Afghan President Hamid Karzai's shaky government or aid the Taliban, Sunni Muslim militants against whom Iran nearly went to war in 1998. The Taliban obtains most of its weapons and supplies from the proceeds of opium trafficking and from Sunni supporters in Pakistan and Arab nations.

The recent seizures of Iranian arms by British troops in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province are challenging that assumption, however.

"Iran appears to be playing a very small role, but it appears to be increasing," said Seth Jones, an expert at the RAND Corp. research center.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...ghaniran31.html

Now that Iran is aiding the killing of Canadians (weren't satistfied with the rape and murder of one Canadian I suppose....) can we stop these thinly veiled calls for an attack on Iran and just come out and say it?

Bomb Tehran.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomb Tehran.

I prefer Senator McCain's rendition. But alas, bombing it would be counter productive. Whereas a few surgical strikes / assasinations and some funding of the opposition (it *miraculously* exists, unlike in most hostile nations) would have a more poignant effect.

The real problem in dealing with the Talliban is Pakistan, not to mention the moral/financial support it recieves from far too many moneyed and/or westerners.

If- and that is a big IF - this does turn out to be the case, how pray tell is this any different than the US funding covert terror cells and death squads? I'm no fan of the ruling admin of Iran - but bombing them is certainly not the solution. Now especially, that they have entered the enrichment phase - or does fallout not concern you?

Or could this be a nice little false flag so you two get your wish and get to begin more annihalation of even more innocent human beings?

How anyone can so callously call for bombing and killing innocent civilians sickens me, no matter which side it comes from - though oddly I only seem to see it from the one side one this site.

*ack*

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...ghaniran31.html

Now that Iran is aiding the killing of Canadians (weren't satistfied with the rape and murder of one Canadian I suppose....) can we stop these thinly veiled calls for an attack on Iran and just come out and say it?

Bomb Tehran.

As much as I'd like to see Iran get theirs, I don't think bombing them is the answer, it would be the start of something much larger that we don't want. They are probably doing to tick off the U.S. and know that no one wants to start a large scale war. One analyst has called it a game of of "managed chaos," just enough to bloody America's nose in Afghanistan. Sounds logical for Iran.

Let's see, prior to 9/11 Iran did not have diplomatic relations with the Taliban and even helped round up escaping ones on their border after the invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001. Now, six years and a few bombing/invasion campaigns later, they are allegedly helping the Taliban fight coalition forces.....

Yep, the war on terror sure is making terrific strides. More adverse effects like this and we may even get the Saudis to come around to Iran's corner. LOL

Has any MSM shown pictures of the weapons??? Like the weapons the US thought Iran was giving to the insurgents? Those beauties has english writing on it. I have a link about that in a thread on here. That story seemed to have died as fast as it was born.

Rogue State

I'm European, and the perceived danger in Europe is US or Russia.

If you can, point us to some European news articles (hopefully with an english translation) that show us this. Or are you going on what you feel and what others feel around you? Either or, I think it would be interesting to show how Iran is perceived and how by other countries or geo-political entities.

The US armed the Muhajedeen (later to become Al-Queda) to fight off the Soviets back in the day. But we were fighting for freedom right? So the Muhajedeen can be free because of it? Now we have some table turning. Kind of like, 'do as I say, not as I do'.

I'd really like to see video or photographical evidence to back all this up. Not just some 'field commander' or 'government official' or some other anonymous source being a puppet talking head.

I'm European, and the perceived danger in Europe is US or Russia.

And???? I'm also European and the perceived danger is Iran, China and North Korea. As far as I re-call, I am yet to hear of threats of an American attack. Granted, some people perceive threats to be Teletubbies...and their "sodomite" manipulations. We are free to imagine whatever we wish, no matter how irrational it may be.

No hate for the Iranian people, just the Iranian Administration.

BINGO!!! It is out of respect...at least in my case, for the Iranian people that my animosity is directed towards the GC and co. (I hate when people confound the two.)

A majority of Americans supported Bush through a democratic process and chose him as their representative to the world... Iran is realistically a dictatorship where power is held by force and oppression.

So? One can still hate Bush without hating Americans.

A majority of Americans supported Bush through a democratic process and chose him as their representative to the world... Iran is realistically a dictatorship where power is held by force and oppression.
So? One can still hate Bush without hating Americans.

Ah. I misunderstood, I agree.

Hate is a pretty irrational emotion though, especially for someone that really has never done anything to you (perhaps I'm making a false assumption there, but Bush really hasn't done anything to me anyways).

Hate is a pretty irrational emotion though, especially for someone that really has never done anything to you (perhaps I'm making a false assumption there, but Bush really hasn't done anything to me anyways).

His decisions and actions impacted the world in which you live. Sure he did.

His decisions and actions impacted the world in which you live. Sure he did.

Perhaps. His aggressive middle eastern policy pushed up the price of oil, which created more demand for my line of work in Calgary, increasing my salary through competition.

Yikes. I should love the guy.

I'm unsure that's the best way to look at it. Terrible people can have an amazingly positive impact on your life. Doesn't make them morally good.

His effect on the whole world?

I don't know, being Western people our impacts are pretty negative on most of the rest of the world... are we all terrible people?

I personally don't like George Bush much, I wouldn't vote for him. But hate?! Nah. There are much worse people in the world with George W. Bush.

If- and that is a big IF - this does turn out to be the case, how pray tell is this any different than the US funding covert terror cells and death squads?

*ack*

The difference-and this is a big differnce-The US isn't funding people who are attacking us.

No hate for the Iranian people, just the Iranian Administration...LOL!

How the republican pundits never to make the same distinction between between Bush and the US?

In most cases there really isn't any need for distinction. Most lefties who hate Bush hate America and hate Americans.

Such a yawn, yet another propaganda hate Iran thread, it really is getting quite rude wasting all this band width on spreading hate in multiple threads.

Maybe you and your friends can start yet another hate Israel thread, then.

Not that it has anything to do with them being Jews, of course.

If- and that is a big IF - this does turn out to be the case, how pray tell is this any different than the US funding covert terror cells and death squads?

Uhm, because there's no actual evidence the US is funding "covert terror cells" whatever the hell that is, or "death squads" anywhere.

I'm no fan of the ruling admin of Iran - but bombing them is certainly not the solution.

Well, it's "A" solution. It might not be THE solution.

Now especially, that they have entered the enrichment phase - or does fallout not concern you?

Where I live? Not especially.

Or could this be a nice little false flag so you two get your wish and get to begin more annihalation of even more innocent human beings?

Because, of course, he's a calous, brutal, evil man who loves to watch innocent human beings die, right?

How anyone can so callously call for bombing and killing innocent civilians sickens me, no matter which side it comes from - though oddly I only seem to see it from the one side one this site.

*ack*

What was that last? Was that you coughing on your own bullshit?

Guest chilipeppers
Such a yawn, yet another propaganda hate Iran thread, it really is getting quite rude wasting all this band width on spreading hate in multiple threads.

Yeah, and your posts don't waste bandwidth, give me a break, go start a rude thread slagging christians or shopping with dominionists or whatever.